• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thread does not go to new posts

WalterK75

In the thread Warning for all GS/A riders stay out of Starbucks😳 whenever I click on the little dot to go to new posts it always goes to the first post. Other threads work properly in this regard.

I noticed that also. It's behaved like that since the thread started. First couple of times I assumed I clicked wrong, but I always end up on the first post, first page. Cookie clearing has had no effect. One weird acting thread is no big deal, but could be a nuisance if the behavior spreads to other threads.

For me, there are no unread posts in that thread, so I can't check it out. I'm not sure I've seen that situation before, specifically acting that way on just one thread. There is a user setting that controls that, but I believe it is for all, not just something specific. Until I see a new post there, I can't check it out.

Alternatively, one should be able to click on the right-arrow icon on the right side to take you to the last post...you might have to back up a bit if there are multiple posts since your last thread visit.

It's hit or miss for me on "View First Unread" on this site. Seems to happen more on long threads.
Same thing happens to me on i-BMW.

It works on most threads.

In the thread Warning for all GS/A riders stay out of Starbucks😳 whenever I click on the little dot to go to new posts it always goes to the first post. Other threads work properly in this regard.

If I understand you correctly, you are at the Canpfire forum- looking at the thread title- see that the thread has developed into 2 page deal and you click on the little box at the far right of the title and information?
I don't check the forum that way myself.......the forum knows what you have looked at :)
Specifically log out- see the "all cookies cleared" message- don't re-log in from that page- start with a fresh login and try it again.
Gary

If I understand you correctly, you are at the Canpfire forum- looking at the thread title- see that the thread has developed into 2 page deal and you click on the little box at the far right of the title and information?Gary
No, click on the circle with two down arrows in it directly in front of the first word in the thread title. It should take one to the latest new post.

Now that I've thought about it, I've had it happen to me occasionally on a thread or two. It bothered me a little, but I just powered through it. :) No real reason why, though.

No, click on the circle with two down arrows in it directly in front of the first word in the thread title. It should take one to the latest new post.

Ok, I've never used the feature :dunno
Next time it happens, try the logout procedure I mentioned earlier. Some glitches appear when a Member stays logged it for months at a time depending how a browser is set.
Gary

Ok, I've never used the feature :dunno

It's a very handy feature.

For me, not using the View First Unread tool is like reading a book and not using a bookmark when I set the book down.
On a long thread it's hard to know where you stopped reading.

My process is click "new posts" then review the list. If I am following a thread when I see it there then I click the "go to last post" icon near the last post author's name. Once I have reviewed all those I am interested in then I click "mark forums read" under forum actions. That keeps "new posts" nice and tidy.

It's also not working for me and also only on that thread. The "view first unread" at the top of the thread itself also does not work for me.

My guess on this is that as this post doesn't include any "introductory" text, the software is only seeing the link.
I'll do some messing around later and see if I can prove it out :)
OM

New post in this thread today...yup, works as described above. I click on the small icon to the left of the thread and it just takes me to the first post. :banghead

No, click on the circle with two down arrows in it directly in front of the first word in the thread title. .

That's interesting, I do not have the icon at that location. For me it's next to View First Unread at the upper right and next to Thread Tool.

BTW, while View First Unread does not always work for me, it does work for me in the Starbucks Thread.

Update. I believe I figured out what was wrong...it was the smilie at the end of the title. It was creating a look-up requirement that the forum software couldn't handle. So, with the OP's go-ahead, I've deleted the smilie. When/if new posts are made to the thread, see if the icon to the left of the thread title takes you to the newest post. Report here if that fixed the problem!

Update. I believe I figured out what was wrong...it was the smilie at the end of the title. It was creating a look-up requirement that the forum software couldn't handle. So, with the OP's go-ahead, I've deleted the smilie. When/if new posts are made to the thread, see if the icon to the left of the thread title takes you to the newest post. Report here if that fixed the problem!

Activity on that thread is slowing down, so I added a post for testing purposes.

Back