• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Forum Transition to Xenforo!

I tried to "copy-n-paste" a 4.5mb image from my computer...it had a "problem". I then did the Attach files approach with same picture...it uploaded no problem. I suspect that the attaching approach runs the image through a down-sizer while the image copy doesn't do that.
Forgot to mention, the 2.4mb I tried to copy-n-paste, was rejected for the same reason when I tried to upload/attach.
I seem to remember when the last forum, last picture allowance adjustment, required a change on the server?
OM

So far, ok. My concern is that another forum that I am on, subaruxvforum.com, uses XenForo and is the worst site that I’ve ever used. It appears on that site to prioritize loading ads, which may not be an issue here, to responding to user requests. I have waited numerous times for a page to take more than a minute to load completely, with the occasional crash and reload on a hardwired Mac with 970mb+ upload/download speeds with Google fiber. Fingers crossed.

Doug

I tried to "copy-n-paste" a 4.5mb image from my computer...it had a "problem". I then did the Attach files approach with same picture...it uploaded no problem
20230916_123349.jpg
Yesterday I could not attach that big of a file but it's working now.
The picture could stand to be a little smaller to fit the screen better.
Can others view this picture without scrolling up and down. Side to side fits for me.

View attachment 96388
Yesterday I could not attach that big of a file but it's working now.
The picture could stand to be a little smaller to fit the screen better.
Can others view this picture without scrolling up and down. Side to side fits for me.
I have the whole picture on an iPad. (y)
Seems like a “correct“ resizing.
OM

Lee -

I have to scroll up and down to the see the picture. I think a lot of that depends on each individual's monitor and settings.

That said, I don't see why someone would want to load an image that is so big, say bigger than 1028x768. The screen resolution is the weak link in the system, so uploading a super high rez image just loses it all in the end. Plus it takes longer to upload/copy a larger picture...now you're just wasting time!! Of course internet bandwidth comes into play, but still bigger files take longer.

I like the idea of having to manipulate my images...makes me think of what I'm doing and why. Just throwing the image at the software expecting things to work out just seems like "checking" out. YMMV

Just a reminder, at the lower left hand corner of the page, there is a style chooser.
I myself like look of BMW MOA.
Enjoy.
OM

So far, ok. My concern is that another forum that I am on, subaruxvforum.com, uses XenForo and is the worst site that I’ve ever used. It appears on that site to prioritize loading ads, which may not be an issue here, to responding to user requests. I have waited numerous times for a page to take more than a minute to load completely, with the occasional crash and reload on a hardwired Mac with 970mb+ upload/download speeds with Google fiber. Fingers crossed.

Doug
On a Mac using Safari with AdBlock Plus and with that configuration, no ads arebpresented on ADV. If you're looking for an ad blocking solution, ABP is pretty solid. I've been using it a decade anyway.

At least on 'word association' it pops me to the most recent post from my last one. Today it didn't do that on this thread, it popped me on a few posts before my last one.

Lee -

I have to scroll up and down to the see the picture. I think a lot of that depends on each individual's monitor and settings.

That said, I don't see why someone would want to load an image that is so big, say bigger than 1028x768. The screen resolution is the weak link in the system, so uploading a super high rez image just loses it all in the end. Plus it takes longer to upload/copy a larger picture...now you're just wasting time!! Of course internet bandwidth comes into play, but still bigger files take longer.

I like the idea of having to manipulate my images...makes me think of what I'm doing and why. Just throwing the image at the software expecting things to work out just seems like "checking" out. YMMV
I’m not great at manipulating pictures. Most of the few I post are from an Apple iPhone or iPad so I enjoy the ease of the software lending a hand.
OM

At least on 'word association' it pops me to the most recent post from my last one. Today it didn't do that on this thread, it popped me on a few posts before my last one.
Watch for the Blue Box that says “New”. I can even occur when someone posts while you are posting leaving new posts ahead of your latest.
OM

You only see that because you are an administrator. Normal users do not have that option. There is only one style for the site.
Thanks Kevin,
Another change from the vB forum. I think there were around 8 skin/styles working In the past.
OM

Thanks Kevin,
Another change from the vB forum. I think there were around 8 skin/styles working In the past.
OM
Yeah and one of them, V3, dropped the image at the top of the screen which made better use of the real estate for viewing purposes IMHO. Sure going to miss that.

That said, I don't see why someone would want to load an image that is so big, say bigger than 1028x768. The screen resolution is the weak link in the system, so uploading a super high rez image just loses it all in the end.
Being able to upload large picture files will help members who don't know how to reduce the pictures or don't want to take the time.
I'm going to stick with how I handle my pictures.
After a trip I keep a file of all the full size pictures.
I create a separate Reduced File and copy the pictures there.
I can reduce all the portrait pictures at one time and all the landscape pictures at one time.
This process only takes a couple minutes using the program already on a Windows computers.

I think the new changes for pictures are great. With copy and paste more people will post pictures and if they upload a big ass file we can still view it with a slight amount of scrolling, or no scrolling.

For some reason this thread pops me back a few posts. I don't know why it handles differently than the 'word association' thread. I find this a bit odd.

The basic search function is soooooo much better. Results are quick, well sorted and relevant. And you can even search for 3 letter words - who woulda thunk! This should be a huge benefit to the new user who had to be taught how to jump through the hoops to make it work before. That is one "How To" that can be archived.

The basic search function is soooooo much better. Results are quick, well sorted and relevant. And you can even search for 3 letter words - who woulda thunk! This should be a huge benefit to the new user who had to be taught how to jump through the hoops to make it work before. That is one "How To" that can be archived.
Glad you are happy with the way the search function is working out for you.
We actually know that many of our helpful “stickies“ either need modification(s) or deletions.
All in time.
OM

Are we going to be able to see member's locations under their screen name as we have in the past? I miss that.

Are we going to be able to see member's locations under their screen name as we have in the past? I miss that.
Maybe……The transition behind the screen has been a bit bumpy……But we are working on it.
In the meantime, a tap on an avatar will show some information.
OM

Back