• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Forum Transition to Xenforo!

Liaison
Staff member
Beginning on January 15, 2024, the platform for our MOA forum will transition from VBulletin to Xenforo. During the transition, the VBulletin forum will go offline and a backup will be made. This backup will be used to migrate to the new Xenforo product. The web address for the new forum will be same as you use right now, so your existing bookmarks will take you there.

As part of the migration, all active users account information will be transferred. That means that when you first come back to the forum and see the Xenforo screen, you will be required to login with your username and password. From that point forward, you will be remembered for future visits, just like the current situation with VBulletin. For users who regularly visit the MOA forum, you should expect to get an email from the MOA office about this transition just to ensure people are made aware of the pending change.

The layout of the Xenforo home page and forum areas is essentially a copy of the current layout, so you should feel comfortable with that. There will of course be differences but the basics of posting, responding to other posts, and uploading images are there. Many of the "How To..." threads that exist now will become outdated but the Moderator staff will begin reworking those items as soon as the new platform is up and stable. Look for these updates as time goes by.

We look forward to the enhanced features and security of the forum. If there are any questions as we all work through this transition, don't hesitate to contact any of the Moderators or post questions in the Online Central portion of the forum discussion area. Thanks for your support!!

Who will be the first to ask if there will be a "like" button?
Not me.

There is a "like" feature. We encourage all forum members to look around and try some of the "new" (updated) selections. All the features that were here although some may have been moved (positionally) or slightly differently named.

OM

This is great news finally. Hoping the migration goes as smooth as possible and that users will be as kind as possible. As someone who understands what is involved I appreciate the effort to make it happen.

This is great news finally. Hoping the migration goes as smooth as possible and that users will be as kind as possible. As someone who understands what is involved I appreciate the effort to make it happen.

:)
As long as members take a minute to look for something that may have a different name or location on the screen, it should go easy.
Whether members have noticed or not, they have probably been on Xenforo forums already.
Thanks.
OM

Is MOA choosing to use the cloud version or self hosted version of Xenforo?

Also has the MMS project mentioned by Ted at the link below that had to be completed first get done yet or are both of these being tackled at one time (hope not)? I am assuming it got done and applaud you because I don't remember any disruption because of it.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...erns-(from-elsewhere)/page2&highlight=xenforo

Self hosted.

No those changes will be later.

Up until a day or so ago I could login using the secure encrypted (i.e., https prefix) bmwmoa webpage. Now I get a warning about an unsecure connection as it will only connect using the open text, less secure http prefix. Is this a facet of the change to a new software? Or has the security certificate lapsed?

I do not have permission to access that page.

So I guess we are paying to maintain our Forum now?

My bad for linking to that post. I was just trying to show that his company has been actively supporting our IT needs for a long time. We did a major upgrade with vBulletin in early 2013. I don't know when TechDaddies came on board but I suspect it was shortly after that.

So I guess we are paying to maintain our Forum now?

Yes, and that’s a good thing imho, as one who’s belonged to a number of organizations that have relied upon volunteers to service their front facing media. People die, take ill, move away, or just lose interest and it’s much stickier and more messy to drop/replace a volunteer than a subcontractor. And with a subcontractor one has the absolute right to demand up-to-date policies, procedures, and products—that can be very difficult to do with a volunteer.

Best,
DeVern

Back