• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I can't believe it, I pushed the timing plug into case

I was putting my bike together today and the plug was being fiddly. So I thought well I'll be conservative and pry it out carefully.

Boink it disappeared into the hole, out of sight.

What do I do now?

I feel an idiot.

you're not the first, probably not the last.
Paul G has said previously "don't worry about it. it will sit at the bottom of the sump, quietly disintegrating" (or words to that general effect).

and i have posted pics of the cam gear arrows (you can google it if you want), which are the reason why there is NEVER a need to remove that plug, for any reason related to setting your valves. and the only time you're likely to actually need to set your timing is if you replace/remove the HES.. otherwise, timing is stupidly stable on these bikes.

That's what I am hoping, that it causes no issues.

I did replace my HES and since I didn't have the magic test box I just put the new plate where the old plate was. But since the original plate came full advanced, I wanted to see where the S was at warm idle as a reality check.

I'll think twice before pulling the (next) plug again.

Dealer is an hour away, I'll try to find somewhere online to buy another plug.

I remember reading a mention of a real man plug. Is that something more readily available?

TDC hole plug 11.11-1 341 418 OEM Plug?
RealManPlug(TM © etc) 11.11-1 744 327 What's this?

Thanks, Bill

If you are worried about it, pull your starter and fish the plug out....been there and that is what I did.

When I pulled the tranny from an Airhead,there were three chewed up ones resting under the flywheel.
Not a panic moment, it's rubber and that flywheel isn't :thumb

seems the Airhead ones are a bit heavier, have used both on missing ones.

Replace it with an airhead plug which is rubber and heftier. Those plastic ones on the oilheads are OK if you never touch them. There's one in my bell housing too. Funny thing is you normally only do that once. :scratch

Tip

Installing the rubber plug the first time

1 Lube the plug with a bit of grease on the inside lip
2 Put a dab of grease on the end of a small hammer handle
3 Place the plug on the end of the handle in the middle of the grease dab
4 Position the handle and plug over the hole and push firmly inwards.

The oversize end of the handle acts as a stop.

I did that on my 1100gs at about 18k miles and sold it with 86k on it some years later and never had an issue.

Dont sweat it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought an airhead timing hole plug on ebay from C, because I was in a hurry and wasn't ready to put together a bigger order somewhere.

And when it came it was white (picture in listing was black)! I'll order a black one somewhere and keep the white as a backup. I think the old /2s used to all come with a white plug if I remember right though.

From other posts, it looks like you have an RT. With the tupperware in place, the plug is not visible.
If it is visible or if it bothers you, apply a black "sharpie" marker.

From other posts, it looks like you have an RT. With the tupperware in place, the plug is not visible.
If it is visible or if it bothers you, apply a black "sharpie" marker.

No need to get out the sharpie. I installed the white/tan plug for now, and at a later time (if I even think of it again) I'll swap it out and have it as a spare (for the next time I feed the case another plug) when I have the side panels off again.

I only posted because it thought getting a white (airhead) plug was not on my radar and perhaps interesting. Someone else might prefer it and now they have a source!

you're not the first, probably not the last.
Paul G has said previously "don't worry about it. it will sit at the bottom of the sump, quietly disintegrating" (or words to that general effect).

I just keep my spare down in the bellhousing. I retrieve it when I do the next spline lube. Even if it bounced and hit the flywheel there are no gear teeth meshed unless the starter is engaged. It would be unlikely to ever do anything except lay in the bottom of the bellhousing.

Back