• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

frozen clutch plate (maybe?)

mquinn66

Ok... 2003 R1100RT with 98,000 miles. Setting for 3 years. Owner said it "just died on a trip" (we all know what that means - HES ). BUT it was not the melted wires problem!

The HES got chewed up by part of the alt belt and owner traded it for some other work... I would ASSUME everything else was taken care of (all fluids looked good (even though I flushed and replaced them) - and I drained the old gas (varsoline) and flushed the tank and replaced the pump and filter in the tank. She sounds BEAUTIFUL again (only 98000 miles) - my other bike has 199000 (was hoping to roll it in 2023, but temps here are too cold to ride comfortably).

It runs great in "N" - but if I put it in "1" it does not seem that the clutch is disengaging. It is a 2003 R1150RT with hydraulic clutch. I have flushed with fresh dot4 and blead all the air out (both top down - as back pressure blead) [probably 3 times in the last 2 weeks]. Clutch FEELS like it is doing it's thing (a little motion in the handle then pressure like it is pushing (resistance)...) - but stalls if I drop it in 1st. If I bump the starter in 1st (with clutch in) it does not feel like it has ANY slip and the bike lurches forward. Is it possible to have the plate and friction plate frozen? Is there a way to release it? (thought about putting it in 5th and pulling it with a car with the clutch in....). But others here might have an idea that might be easier.... (hoping not having to tear the trans off - but IF that is the only solution....). [and yes, the side stand is up ;-) ]

My others:
1994 R1100RS w 199,000 miles
1999 R1100RT w 67,000 miles
2003 R1150RT w 98,000 miles (the one w clutch issues)

M.

The clutch plate could easily have “bonded” to the flywheel from sitting. There was a recent thread on procedures to try in breaking this bond.
You could try a bit of an incline, gravity helps, and use the highest gear and “push and rock” the bike down hill and see if that will brake the (probably rusty) bond.
Good luck.

OM

The clutch plate could easily have “bonded” to the flywheel from sitting. There was a recent thread on procedures to try in breaking this bond.
You could try a bit of an incline, gravity helps, and use the highest gear and “push and rock” the bike down hill and see if that will brake the (probably rusty) bond.
Good luck.

OM

good point on an incline! I will try "clutch bonded" as I did do a search for some other words, but not those 2 on the forum. Thank you OM.

good point on an incline! I will try "clutch bonded" as I did do a search for some other words, but not those 2 on the forum. Thank you OM.

OM, please send link on that other clutch stuck issue - I found 100s on slipping but none on: stuck, bonded, disengaging, frozen (aside from this on ;-) ), NOT slipping, and a few others...

thanks,

M

OM, please send link on that other clutch stuck issue - I found 100s on slipping but none on: stuck, bonded, disengaging, frozen (aside from this on ;-) ), NOT slipping, and a few others...

thanks,

M

I have looked but it escapes me currently. I mentioned it to suggest to other members that may recall it faster than me. I will keep rooting around. I don’t think it was that long ago.

OM

Ok... 2003 R1100RT with 98,000 miles. Setting for 3 years. Owner said it "just died on a trip" (we all know what that means - HES ). BUT it was not the melted wires problem!

The HES got chewed up by part of the alt belt and owner traded it for some other work... I would ASSUME everything else was taken care of (all fluids looked good (even though I flushed and replaced them) - and I drained the old gas (varsoline) and flushed the tank and replaced the pump and filter in the tank. She sounds BEAUTIFUL again (only 98000 miles) - my other bike has 199000 (was hoping to roll it in 2023, but temps here are too cold to ride comfortably).

It runs great in "N" - but if I put it in "1" it does not seem that the clutch is disengaging. It is a 2003 R1150RT with hydraulic clutch. I have flushed with fresh dot4 and blead all the air out (both top down - as back pressure blead) [probably 3 times in the last 2 weeks]. Clutch FEELS like it is doing it's thing (a little motion in the handle then pressure like it is pushing (resistance)...) - but stalls if I drop it in 1st. If I bump the starter in 1st (with clutch in) it does not feel like it has ANY slip and the bike lurches forward. Is it possible to have the plate and friction plate frozen? Is there a way to release it? (thought about putting it in 5th and pulling it with a car with the clutch in....). But others here might have an idea that might be easier.... (hoping not having to tear the trans off - but IF that is the only solution....). [and yes, the side stand is up ;-) ]

My others:
1994 R1100RS w 199,000 miles
1999 R1100RT w 67,000 miles
2003 R1150RT w 98,000 miles (the one w clutch issues)

M.

Start the bike in neutral and get it moving down a hill if possible, and on concrete.
With the clutch lever pulled in, shift UP to 2nd gear and rev the engine.
Continue to rev with the lever pulled in until you verify that the clutch has released.
With luck, the clutch disc will break free.

More than likely, the bike was parked on concrete, where moisture fused the clutch disc to the plate.
This happened to my old R90s one year, parking it over winter in a garage, on cold, wet concrete.

Last edited:
How high up in the window are you filling the hydraulic fluid? With the bike on its wheels (not the centerstand, just 'coz I'm anal retentive), on level ground, and the handlebars "forward" (not turned either way), it should be in the middle of the window.

Maybe the slave cylinder isn't really moving the plates far enough? Maybe the little pushrod is worn?

Maybe with the starter removed, you could get a pick in there and pry them apart? Rotate a little and repeat...
Just an idea that I haven't tried.

How high up in the window are you filling the hydraulic fluid? With the bike on its wheels (not the centerstand, just 'coz I'm anal retentive), on level ground, and the handlebars "forward" (not turned either way), it should be in the middle of the window.

Maybe the slave cylinder isn't really moving the plates far enough? Maybe the little pushrod is worn?

Maybe with the starter removed, you could get a pick in there and pry them apart? Rotate a little and repeat...
Just an idea that I haven't tried.

Fluid is at the center of the bullseye. I know as the clutch wears, the fluid goes up.

Thanks for the idea.

M.

From the June 2017 Airmail, answer by Oak:

- machine on center stand in neutral
- start bike and warm for a few minutes; stop the engine
- move the bike to an area that you can ride it for a short distance safely
- put bike in first gear and get on
- start the bike...it will move slowly with the starter motor...be ready when the engine fires
- once started and rolling, pull in the clutch lever (keep the lever pulled in)
- suddenly crank the throttle hard...if it doesn't work, repeat a few more times
- if it unsticks, ride around using the clutch as normal

I will have to trailer the bike to try this. We are getting rain all weekend so bummed I cannot try this. Sounds similar to the suggestion of pushing it aggressively in second gear suggesting above.

Thanks you for forwarding this.

SUCCESSSSSSS!!!

Ok - warmed the bike up in N - concrete uphill (prob should have gone down hill...) dropped it in 1... bike lurches forward and dies. repeat this about 4 times (about 10 ft of lurching).

kinda top of incline turn it around put it in 5 and rock it back down with clutch in. key off. it "pops" and the clutch is loose!!! YAY!!!!

threw my riding gear on and took it for a spin. She runs wonderfully and clutch feels great.

got a blinking ABS and Brake warning (need to figure the pattern of flashing and on and do some research) - might be a simple reset (previous owner might have run down the battery, but I definately need to flush the fluids... that will be for another day.) Brakes feel ok - but I only drove it for 5 miles and very gently.

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions! Hopefully weather is warm enough to take one of the other bikes to work and a trip to the DMV to get this "new" bike titled and registered....

Nice!
Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Good luck with the bike.

OM

Back