• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ST Handlebars

BuffaloBob

Herding Cats
So, I finally bought a 2005 ST last week after thinking about it for a few years. And waiting for the prices to come down to meet my meager budget.

I had ridden one a few years ago and remember the riding position was a bit more extreme than my 1150RS. In researching these bikes on various forums, it seems that there are a couple of options - one that relocates the clip-ons above the top clamp, and another that lets you attach handlebars to the top clamp.

Well, the bike I bought has handlebars on it. The riding position is very much upright as the handlebars have about a 3.75 inch rise - certainly not ape hangers, but maybe a bit more than required.

For those of you that have gone this route, what type/dimension of handlebars are you using?

We did both tio my wife's bike to get her sitting position better.

Route 1 - Verholen Clip On - up and back some but not enough

Route 2 - AC Schnitzer Handlebar - 28mm bar, also added a 25mm up and back riser -perfect, for her.

As noted we had both and the preference (night and day) is the AC Schnitzer.

Hope this helps

Semper Fi
I would be very interested to see pictures and know what it takes to install the AC-Schnitzer conversion. My wife rides a ST and it sounds like we are going the same route you and your wife have gone. We installed the Verholen riser setup and as you say, a little better. Would be interested where you got the set backs for the AC-S setup and any oyher parts for the conversion.
Larry

Semper Fi
I would be very interested to see pictures and know what it takes to install the AC-Schnitzer conversion. My wife rides a ST and it sounds like we are going the same route you and your wife have gone. We installed the Verholen riser setup and as you say, a little better. Would be interested where you got the set backs for the AC-S setup and any oyher parts for the conversion.
Larry

RTST - the job is fairly straight forward - remove plastic, remove tank, remove clip ons, remove handle bar, remove upper mount.

From there you swap out the orginal ball joint onto the new mount, replace the original throttle cable with the longer provided one, mount the handle bar mounts, handle bar, grips and mirrors.

Total time to do the job was a full day - took my time and followed the instructions.

Semper Fi,
Do you have approximate dimensions of the handlebars (width and rise, primarily)?

Buffalo/RTST - here you go - due to the non-flat geometry of the ST i tried to pick some reference points you can use from a non altered bike:

Width of bar - start of clutch hand grip to end of throttle handgrip
DSC01962.jpg

Distance from Handle bar edge closest to the driver to tank fill area
DSC01963.jpg

Throttle Side view - the most bottom support is a 14mm riser i had machined (can provide shop used details if needed), the second is the riser from AC SChnitzer, the last is the up and back riser from SW Moto.
DSC01958.jpg

Clutch side view
DSC01959.jpg

Top View
DSC01961.jpg

Zoomed Top View
DSC01960.jpg

Here is the link to who carries it - note it is a 6 week lead time
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44375

Total Change from stock is as follows:

- for the AC it is up 70 and back 100 (IIRC)
- 14mm shim
- 25 x 25mm up and back riser.

I was able to do the whole job myself except for the transition of the ball joint from the old clamp to the new one. This requires a 43mm socket and a special holding fixture - that portion of the job was done by my BMW Dealer - Max BMW

I have the instructions at home - but it is a 4 meg file so if you are interested pm with your email address and i will send it to you.

Cheers! :drink

Semper Fi,
Thanks for the pictures and the measurements. After looking at my bike, I've concluded that it does NOT have the AC-Schnitzer conversion, but some other handlebar conversion kit. I can't even figure out how the handlebars come off!

I'm estimating that with the higher rise handlebars I have, the final position is probably close to that on your wife's bike. Guess I'll quit thinking about this for a while and just ride!

That is a very slick set-up you have, though.

Semper Fi
I too thank you for your information and photos, nice of you to do so. I will show them to the wife and see if she wants to procede (I'm sure she will). Since you say it is a 6 week timeframe we better get going on it. I actually saw these on the A&S website (I bought my RT from them) and finding out someone had them installed is a great help...thanks again.
Larry

Semper Fi
I too thank you for your information and photos, nice of you to do so. I will show them to the wife and see if she wants to procede (I'm sure she will). Since you say it is a 6 week timeframe we better get going on it. I actually saw these on the A&S website (I bought my RT from them) and finding out someone had them installed is a great help...thanks again.
Larry

No problem - glad to help.

Give them a call - the lead time may be less now.

Any more questions let me know.

Semper Fi,
Thanks for the pictures and the measurements. After looking at my bike, I've concluded that it does NOT have the AC-Schnitzer conversion, but some other handlebar conversion kit. I can't even figure out how the handlebars come off!

I'm estimating that with the higher rise handlebars I have, the final position is probably close to that on your wife's bike. Guess I'll quit thinking about this for a while and just ride!

That is a very slick set-up you have, though.

thanks - appreciate the kind words.

the handle bars should come off where they are clamped or secured.

This set up made the difference for my wife to keep the bike.

The Verhollen set up works the best for me. Don't mind the loose wires, i was wiring up some connectors when i took the pic. You can move the bars above the triple tree without the verhollen kit just to see what i will feel like. If you like the feel then buy the kit and an RT front brake line and you're good to go.

P1010481.jpg

I also have the Verholen kit on my '07 ST, and find it just perfect. (I've also got an R1100RS that I think is just right, too.)

However, if you have the '07 model (sans whizzy brakes), BMW changed the casting for the brake master cylinder, and it projects slightly more than it used to. In combination with the Verholen kit, it just slightly interferes with the dash. I carefully ground off just enough of the casting to remove the interference, with no problem. I also sent a message to Verholen, and they acknowledged it, so they should be aware (but considering the ST's sales success, I doubt if they'll change anything).

BTW, my Verholen kit came with the necessary longer brake line.

Back