• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding jeans ?

mosrrt

Ok been riding for 50 years . The road riding for the last 40 years has been in textile pants .
I have not found a textile pant to be comfortable .
I am considering riding jeans . My wife and I are slender and don’t like the baggie jeans .

So I am thinking many out there have found a good riding Jean .

Word up with suggestions 😁
Mike

Lots of posts in the thread about riding jeans in the Similar Threads pane below.

You might want to look at Duluth Trading Company they have those fire hose pants that are very durable, although no knee or hip padding. Aerostich also has jean that you can buy knee pads for.

textile

Many reasons to go with textile, but here's a couple: 1) it is claimed that textile can be more abrasion resistant than leather. 2) textile can be cooler than leather.
Many youtube video reviews on riding jeans. Basically, there are double-layer and single layer jeans.
I have several types of heavy-duty riding pants, all great for cooler weather. I chose Klim K Forty 2 single-layer riding jeans for hot weather conditions: https://www.klim.com/motorcycle/mens/denim?page=1 . Really like them, wear them all the time. If I expect foul weather, I may choose heavier pants, such as First Gear Kilimanjaro,etc.

Last edited:
I think most actual riding jeans are “baggy” fit by necessity.

I've found just the opposite, most of the riding jeans are offered in slim fit with just a few offering relaxed fit [ which is my preference ]. I've held off buying any armored jeans simply because I need to try them on before I buy pants.

Just threw out all the carharrt jeans, heavier material that might get you a few more feet in a slide, but that's iffy at best. Today I ride/wear carpenters jeans on and off the motors. I have a Klim textile pair of pants with goat skin inbound on the legs, and they are more comfortable that most pants I've worn on the motors, but they don't take a belt or have enough pockets for my daily carry items so they sit in the drawer.

I ended up reducing my gear down to:
  • Aerostich R3 for commuting
  • Scorpion Exo Covert Jeans and 2 jackets (summer & 3-season) for longer rides

I looked for riding jeans with a slimmer cut but after realizing that with knee and hip armor, any pair of riding jeans are going to be bulky...just to varying degrees. The only reason I don't use the Aerostich for long rides is that I hate having to figure out what to do with the suit when using a public restroom. Much easier to deal with a jacket only than a full on suit. I hate letting any riding gear sit on the floor of a public bathroom or unsecured on my bike when making a pit stop.

Otherwise, an Aerostich would let you wear your jeans of choice without worrying about protection.

I'm tall and slender too (30-32" waste and 34" inseam), and was on a quest a couple years ago to find something less bulky and more comfortable than my Klim Kodiak textile gear. The Kodiak is way too hot for our southern summer heat and needs heated gear for much below 40F.

I've got a pair of Klim Forty 3 jeans, which are supposed to be slender cut. A little loose on me, partly as their 32x34 fits me more like a 34. Much more presentable and comfortable to wear and move around in than the textile Kodiak gear. But the knee and hip pads are very light weight/thin compared to my Kodiak and what I'm guessing you are accustomed to. Great if you are heading out to a restaurant, ball game or to a friends place and don't want to look like a biker but would like at least some protection. Like any jeans, they aren't overly warm much below 40F. I was not happy wearing these as my go to pants given how little crash protection they offer.

Perhaps you might want to consider a Motoport mesh jacket and pants. That's what I've since migrated to and is my most comfortable gear I've ever had without sacrificing protection. It's made with a stretchy kevlar. The protection is comparable to that of the Kodiak. If I'm heading out and think I'm going to be encountering much rain, I'll still wear the Kodiak gear which has proven multiple times to be 100% waterproof in torrential monsoons, which I have a tough time believing the Motoport liners can match. But for all other riding, I'm reaching for the Motorport gear. It is far more comfortable in our southern heat. I zip the liners in for rides below 40F. I've ridden entire days in 20F and been plenty warm with nothing other than a tee-shirt underneath. The liners add some bulk, but still more comfortable walk and move around in than my Kodiak gear.

I'm tall and slender too (30-32" waste and 34" inseam), and was on a quest a couple years ago to find something less bulky and more comfortable than my Klim Kodiak textile gear. The Kodiak is way too hot for our southern summer heat and needs heated gear for much below 40F.

I've got a pair of Klim Forty 3 jeans, which are supposed to be slender cut. A little loose on me, partly as their 32x34 fits me more like a 34. Much more presentable and comfortable to wear and move around in than the textile Kodiak gear. But the knee and hip pads are very light weight/thin compared to my Kodiak and what I'm guessing you are accustomed to. Great if you are heading out to a restaurant, ball game or to a friends place and don't want to look like a biker but would like at least some protection. Like any jeans, they aren't overly warm much below 40F. I was not happy wearing these as my go to pants given how little crash protection they offer.

Perhaps you might want to consider a Motoport mesh jacket and pants. That's what I've since migrated to and is my most comfortable gear I've ever had without sacrificing protection. It's made with a stretchy kevlar. The protection is comparable to that of the Kodiak. If I'm heading out and think I'm going to be encountering much rain, I'll still wear the Kodiak gear which has proven multiple times to be 100% waterproof in torrential monsoons, which I have a tough time believing the Motoport liners can match. But for all other riding, I'm reaching for the Motorport gear. It is far more comfortable in our southern heat. I zip the liners in for rides below 40F. I've ridden entire days in 20F and been plenty warm with nothing other than a tee-shirt underneath. The liners add some bulk, but still more comfortable walk and move around in than my Kodiak gear.

I wear a custom pair of ballistic nylon chaps made by https://www.coloradochaps.com/

If I'm heading out and think I'm going to be encountering much rain, I'll still wear the Kodiak gear which has proven multiple times to be 100% waterproof in torrential monsoons, which I have a tough time believing the Motoport liners can match. But for all other riding, I'm reaching for the Motorport gear. It is far more comfortable in our southern heat. I zip the liners in for rides below 40F. I've ridden entire days in 20F and been plenty warm with nothing other than a tee-shirt underneath. The liners add some bulk, but still more comfortable walk and move around in than my Kodiak gear.

I have worn my Motoport liner under the mesh gear through long and massive downpours and have remained dry.

However other than for warmth in cooler weather, years ago I abandoned my Motoport liners for rain gear I can wear over my mesh jacket and pants. It is much quicker to cover oneself in a hurry with rain gear rather than removing everything, putting on the liners and the riding suit.

I have worn my Motoport liner under the mesh gear through long and massive downpours and have remained dry.

However other than for warmth in cooler weather, years ago I abandoned my Motoport liners for rain gear I can wear over my mesh jacket and pants. It is much quicker to cover oneself in a hurry with rain gear rather than removing everything, putting on the liners and the riding suit.

At the unintended risk of derailing the OP's thread, I thank you for the vote of confidence on the Motoport liners for being water tight. When I had the pants made, I ordered inner and outer liners. Inner liners are great when it's cold or you know to put them on before the ride. No way I'm stripping to my underwear under an overpass to put them on roadside. The outers are for when caught off guard. I'm not a big fan of a separate rain layer, but it's more tolerable in our hot summers, frankly three seasons, than getting soaked from sweat.

Back