• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

DWA (anti theft system) battery low

Got the warning at startup today. Is this something I can fix or do I have to go to the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know specifically, but the parts fiche sez "Installation only in professional service facility".
But I wouldn't let that stop me from getting in there and taking a serious look...

It looks like removal of seats, trunk, and trunk track. Remove cover. Change batteries. Reverse procedure.

Can I just use any CR123 3v battery?

I don’t see anything in the procedure that requires any particular level of expertise.

Yes, it does show batteries. :)

Let me be more specific. And I’m talking about the service manual pics that were posted.

Nowhere does it mention what specific batteries to use as replacements. Nor can I find an OEM recommendation for same.

Will any CR123 3v battery suffice?

That is what I want to know.

Of course. But it doesn’t have to be some specific, arcane, German battery.

The CR123 battery is a special battery that is used in many, many devices especially flashlights. Available most everywhere, they have a size and capacity advantage over other battery systems.

Here is one for all you battery aficionados, inside a normal every day 9Volt battery is 6-AAA batteries nicely nestled. :brad

OM

Back