• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Saw the new R1200RT yesterday

R1200Rt 14

I sat on the new R1200RT and was contemplating trading. No way the seat even at the highest setting is too low for my legs. My 09 has ample leg room. I ask the dealer about a higher setting he replied that what I saw was the highest offered. Being tall isn't always a benefit.

I sat on the new R1200RT and was contemplating trading. No way the seat even at the highest setting is too low for my legs. My 09 has ample leg room. I ask the dealer about a higher setting he replied that what I saw was the highest offered. Being tall isn't always a benefit.

There are three seats. I have to wonder if they had the low seat on the bike. There is a standard and high seat as well. I have to put the seat in high position and install peg lowering kit on my 2009 to make it comfortable and my inseam is only 34". I imagine the new RT is similar with the standard seat.

I read that the seat to peg distance did not change on the RT, but inner leg curve to ground, and seat height to ground was reduced. So perhaps there indeed was the low seat on the bike you sat on.

I test road one with the regular seat in the low position and I could almost flat foot the bike, and it had more distance to the pegs than my 08 RT with the low seat in the low position which, btw, I am on the balls of my feet. 28" inseam.

Neil TasteMoringa.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I read that the seat to peg distance did not change on the RT, but inner leg curve to ground, and seat height to ground was reduced. So perhaps there indeed was the low seat on the bike you sat on.

I was told by a salesperson that the low seat is a one-piece, just like earlier RT's.

I took the leap today

Plunked my down payment on an inbound blue one, with all the farkles. Getting rid of the 08, K1200GT, which is a really nice bike too, but you know what, the RT is just plain easier to ride, and creature comforts don't hurt. Power differences are minimal for cruising purposes. And for short guys like me, getting an extra inch lower surely helps when backing the beasts up. Yea, am concerned about 1st year growing pains, but what the hell, I already own a GT and that has seen it's share of foibles as well (present recall campaign as evidence). Bottom line, new adventures!

I was told by a salesperson that the low seat is a one-piece, just like earlier RT's.

Nope, I rode a demo bike on the weekend and it had the low seat on it when I got there and they switched it for the high seat for me. It was just the front portion that was different.

Just test drove the RT and the dealer showed how to move the set between the high and low position. She said the no longer make a low version of the bike. I think you can order a extra high seat.

Just test drove the RT and the dealer showed how to move the set between the high and low position. She said the no longer make a low version of the bike. I think you can order a extra high seat.

The BMW near me said just the opposite. They said they had a low seat and planned on ordering a low version that is coming soon.

I sat on one last Thursday, called the dealer and picked it up the next day. I traded in my '11 RT, and the new version is a completely different machine - for the better. I like the lighted trunk and the wet clutch in parking lot speeds. Yes, the standard seat version is about an inch lower and now I can flat foot it. I got the trunk brake light (I've been rear-ended twice in the past)

There is the regular seat with high and low positions. A low seat with high and low positions. I believe I even saw something about a high seat, which would have high and low positions. Total of six possible seat heights with stock suspension height. All these are (as noted elsewhere) for the front half of the seat. There are no adjustments/options for the pillion seat.

The entire bike is IIRC 0.8" lower than the 2013. BMW is not offering a low suspension version because they feel the stock bike (0.8" lower) with a low seat in low position gives the same seat height as the previous low suspension option.

Wanted to look at one yesterday while my 2010 was getting serviced. Nothing in stock. Was told they were all on hold due to a general recall for something to do with the rear shock? They were calling all they have sold to tell them not to ride much until repair is done:dunno

I wonder if the old top case will fit the new rack. No lights of course, but my case is in good shape.

I wonder if the old top case will fit the new rack. No lights of course, but my case is in good shape.

My 2014 R 1200 RT has a 2013 top case on it...got a much better deal than on the 2014 model. I don't have central locking, so electrical hookup was not an issue. The 2013 top case is not compatible with central locking.

Wanted to look at one yesterday while my 2010 was getting serviced. Nothing in stock. Was told they were all on hold due to a general recall for something to do with the rear shock? They were calling all they have sold to tell them not to ride much until repair is done:dunno

Hi, I spoke to my dealer about this, and I will test it next time I am in at the dealer.

His response was "yes the old (I have a 2008 model) version of the top box will fit the new 2014 RT. But styled different and no central locking."

So I have decided when I upgrade, I will sell my 2008 bike without the top case. Sell the top case separately. And order the new top case with central locking and LED brake light.

A little bit of dreaming that I could live with a new bike.

I've never owned a new bike/car/truck/wife/cat/dog. I am now in a position, kids out of the house, divorce paid for, own my home, time to buy a critter feature. I took a newly delivered Wasser Boxer out today. I didn't like it.

For a little background, I had to come to S/ON Canada for the ride. After 30 minutes, this isn't a Boxer. It isn't an Airhead or an Oilhead. This is what a square-head clerk in Germany says it should be. I was really disappointed.

I've never owned a new bike/car/truck/wife/cat/dog. I am now in a position, kids out of the house, divorce paid for, own my home, time to buy a critter feature. I took a newly delivered Wasser Boxer out today. I didn't like it.

For a little background, I had to come to S/ON Canada for the ride. After 30 minutes, this isn't a Boxer. It isn't an Airhead or an Oilhead. This is what a square-head clerk in Germany says it should be. I was really disappointed.

Well, the only bikes with "character" are HDs and may be Indian. Oh well. May be there will be a tune to make the bike more classic sounding and running. ;)

Well, the only bikes with "character" are HDs and may be Indian. Oh well. May be there will be a tune to make the bike more classic sounding and running. ;)

Well then, if we are talking character, "ponch1's" list is light. The one thing about this Wasser Boxer I noticed was it felt "light" in a hard downshift into a turn. It was almost like the combination of the ESI(?) and the ABS wanted the bike upright when I grabbed a hand-full of front brake while going in.

I also didn't get that "squat" feeling when entering the on-ramp on the 403 out of Oakville. This struck me as a "Poser" set of wheels.

Gorgeous bike, nice style, lots of gadgets but I really felt this bike was designed for a couch potatoe, or is potato?

No disagreement, your bike needs character and it's about the ride. I think ponch1 had his tongue in his cheek when he suggested HD's and Indian's had character.

Well then, if we are talking character, "ponch1's" list is light. The one thing about this Wasser Boxer I noticed was it felt "light" in a hard downshift into a turn. It was almost like the combination of the ESI(?) and the ABS wanted the bike upright when I grabbed a hand-full of front brake while going in.

I also didn't get that "squat" feeling when entering the on-ramp on the 403 out of Oakville. This struck me as a "Poser" set of wheels.

Gorgeous bike, nice style, lots of gadgets but I really felt this bike was designed for a couch potatoe, or is potato?

No disagreement, your bike needs character and it's about the ride. I think ponch1 had his tongue in his cheek when he suggested HD's and Indian's had character.

Well, I wouldn't call them appliances. I would add Moto Guzzi to that list, may be Ducati.

The list is long my friend.

Well, I wouldn't call them appliances. I would add Moto Guzzi to that list, may be Ducati.

I think my almost classic KZ440 LTD has as much character or even more than the '81 R80RT I had.

Character being a very subjective concept, this Wasser Boxer had none that I could find.

Speaking of Character, I am ready to get rid of my R1100RT for an R80RT or an R90S. A Moto Guzzi or older 650 Silver Wing could be an option but Ducatti................Haven't seen one yet that doesn't need a great deal of TLC after every little boo.

C'mon ponch1, open a new a thread, "Bikes with character". I dare you, the Beamerphiles will tear it apart but I would be on your side.

Back