• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So much for the 'Klim Gear Protection Guarantee'

It's not that simple. As OP stated it wasn't measured cop guessed at worst, did accident reconstitution at best.

Ok, so we're agreed that the OP's issue should be with the cop and not Klim?

If the OP still feels aggrieved with Klim perhaps he/she should revert to that favoured American solution of suing the company and then let us know how he makes out with that.

Ok, so we're agreed that the OP's issue should be with the cop and not Klim?

Absolutely not. Unless he was cited, the officer only filled out a report with an ESTIMATED speed. Klim being CS about a 5mph guess.

If he WAS cited, then the officer believed that he has enough evidence that he was exceeding the speed limit. Klim being justified to stick to their policy based on the officers sworn statement. Unless the citation gets tossed in court due to lack of evidence.

:dance:dance:dance

Did you read their warranty claim requirements? One is it requires a police report accompany the warranty claim. You didn't read their procedure in filing a claim, did you? :scratch

Yes I did. It says nothing about a police report. Many times if a person goes down and no-one else is involved the police will not issue a report, so that would be a silly requirement.

https://www.klim.com/warranty

Klim should know better. They should honor their warranty.....
What if he was 2mph over the speed limit, would they reject the claim?

They'd be fully within their stated warranty to reject the claim. How much "wiggle room" do you think Klim should allow? 2mph? 5mph? Why not 15mph?

As stated by someone previously, allowing any would open them up to a host of claims.

If the LEO didn’t have the evidence to charge the klim owner, I don’t see how klim can claim that he was violating any claim-disqualifying law. So if the rider goes down doing 40 mph in a 45 zone, he’s covered, but if he goes down doing an estimated 40 in a 35 with no citation, he’s not covered. I like klim gear, but that’s bs.

Doug

There is no wiggle room needed if you go by citation/charges given. No liability issues or even grey areas there.

Otherwise it's a cost reduction exercise.

If the LEO didn’t have the evidence to charge the klim owner, I don’t see how klim can claim that he was violating any claim-disqualifying law. So if the rider goes down doing 40 mph in a 45 zone, he’s covered, but if he goes down doing an estimated 40 in a 35 with no citation, he’s not covered. I like klim gear, but that’s bs.

Doug

There is no wiggle room needed if you go by citation/charges given. No liability issues or even grey areas there.

Otherwise it's a cost reduction exercise.

A police officer is required to write a report of/on a TA (traffic accident). A police officer is not necessarily mandated to issue a citation in a TA….At least around here.
The report is what Klim requested.

OM

Report implies a police. Police can issue citations for breaking the law. They wanted a police report.

Not sure how citations outside of police are relevant...

KLIM GEAR PROTECTION GUARANTEE
KLIM has your back.

If you are involved in a motorcycle *accident within FIVE YEARS of purchasing **qualifying KLIM gear, we will replace the damaged gear FREE OF CHARGE.

If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident and have damaged **qualifying KLIM® gear, here’s how to get it replaced:

Take photos of your **qualified damaged gear you are requesting to have replaced.

Obtain a copy of your official accident report/police report and take readable photos/scans of the entire document.

Visit www.klim.com/gear-protection-guarantee and fill in all required information.

Upload all gear photos and accident report photos when prompted.

Once submitted, customer service will review your case and contact you within 10 business days to let you know if you qualify for replacements and arrange the details.

* AN OFFICIAL POLICE REPORT MUST BE PROVIDED TO KLIM FOR REVIEW AND EVALUATION FOR REPLACEMENT GEAR

** QUALIFYING GEAR:

All KLIM CE A, AA, AAA-rated GORE-TEX Motorcycle outerwear Jackets and Pants

K1R, TK1200, Krios and Krios Pro Helmets

Notes:

KLIM reserves the right to evaluate each accident on a case-by-case basis, establish whether the program rules were followed and approve or deny each request accordingly.

KLIM will not approve gear replacement requests from riders that have been shown to have caused/contributed to the accident through illegal activity or that were caused by riders under the influence of any mind-altering or illegal substance.

DISCLAIMER: Riding a motorcycle greatly increases your risk of an accident. Please ride responsibly and always wear protective gear to reduce the chance of injury.

KLIM reserves the right to deny coverage for any claim.

I'm a Klim Fanboy, I've been using their gear for 10-plus years over several hundred thousand miles.
I had a pair of pants leak at the crotch and they replaced them after a while.

Their "Accident Replacement Policy" is unique, yet they reserve a lot of rights.

Do I think their rejection of this particular claim based upon the info provided by the OP is a bit chicken ****?
Yes, but it appears to be well within their stated policy. I carry extra insurance coverages on my gear and my accessories just in case I get into a similar situation, costs me about $10 additional per year, YMMV

So all you GS guys that have an off while off road are SOL, because no police department is going to write a report or even show up if you are off road. No report, no Klim coverage.

I would guess more than 80% of Klim clientele are adventure riders. I bet most are not aware they will not be covered off road.

What a con!

:dance:dance:dance

So to answer to answer a question, I was wearing Klim Induction gloves (did I mention I WAS a fanboy). I actually hit on the back of my hands. They have what looks like carbon fiber knuckle protectors which were abraded. No abrasion marks on the palm or fingers.

After the accident I was given a citation for 'Loss of Control'. The first moving violation I have received in 50 years of driving/riding. When the officer handed it to me in the emergency room, it felt like piling on. I was a little confused, isn't a solo crash pretty much defined as a loss of control?

Rick

So to answer to answer a question, I was wearing Klim Induction gloves (did I mention I WAS a fanboy). I actually hit on the back of my hands. They have what looks like carbon fiber knuckle protectors which were abraded. No abrasion marks on the palm or fingers.

After the accident I was given a citation for 'Loss of Control'. The first moving violation I have received in 50 years of driving/riding. When the officer handed it to me in the emergency room, it felt like piling on. I was a little confused, isn't a solo crash pretty much defined as a loss of control?

Rick

Thank you once again for clarification.

Once again, glad you came through this without serious injury.

I will have to check out those gloves. I seem to gravitate to my Mechanix gloves which I realize are just better than nothing. When I look at gloves, I find it like looking for sneakers…….too many choices.
:wave
OM

Why on earth would Klim even offer to replace your gear at no charge to you after you crash?
That there is one crazy business model.
If I extend that logic, Ford Motor Company would replace your new F-150 at no charge after you accidentally drive into a tree.

Could be a number of reasons like-

Obtaining real world test results of their products as to durability and the wearer’s protection.

Added value of supplying a warranty feature that other companies don’t mention.

There are other companies that offer free repair or replacement of their products when used within the parameters of their warranty and supplied documentation.

OM

Yes I did. It says nothing about a police report. Many times if a person goes down and no-one else is involved the police will not issue a report, so that would be a silly requirement.

https://www.klim.com/warranty

Post 3 showed this link and it mentions a police report

https://www.klim.com/gear-protection-guarantee?cur=USD

"If you are involved in a motorcycle *accident within FIVE YEARS of purchasing **qualifying KLIM gear, we will replace the damaged gear FREE OF CHARGE.

If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident and have damaged **qualifying KLIM® gear, here’s how to get it replaced:

Take photos of your **qualified damaged gear you are requesting to have replaced.

Obtain a copy of your official accident report/police report and take readable photos/scans of the entire document.

Visit www.klim.com/gear-protection-guarantee and fill in all required information.

Upload all gear photos and accident report photos when prompted.

Once submitted, customer service will review your case and contact you within 10 business days to let you know if you qualify for replacements and arrange the details.

* AN OFFICIAL POLICE REPORT MUST BE PROVIDED TO KLIM FOR REVIEW AND EVALUATION FOR REPLACEMENT GEAR

So you read one warranty statement from Klim, but not the one in post 3 which is where I got the idea a police report MUST BE PROVIDED. No, you didn't read post 3's link on warranty claims.

Doug
Id say the cop cut the OP some slack, given that he’d crashed and the cop believed, to the point of documenting it, that he’d been over the limit.

No ticket, though.

OP got one out of two potential good outcomes, but not both. Not sure where they live, but here where I live, the insurance points, traffic school and fine cost more than a new jacket.

Rick

Well, here we are. Klim is denying you because you got a ticket. You did lose control. If you hadn’t, you wouldn’t have crashed, right? Unless you intentionally crashed, in which case you did have control. It can’t be both.

Contributing factor, as assessed by law enforcement, was presumably speed, given that it was documented on the citation, but they chose not to double ding you, so maybe you ought to take some cold comfort in that.

Sorry about your jacket, but that looks like over the speed limit, along with loss of control as a citation. So you really have two “illegal operation” items Klim says will void claims - a citation for loss of control and a notation that you were over the limit.

Sorry to say, but it’s the ticket, not the 5 over that got you denied, I’m thinking.

Sorry. Crashing sucks.

What made you wind up on the deck? Sand in the corner? Deer? Car on your side of the line?

Rick

Mmmm...if it were me, I would be having a discussion with an attorney. I would be surprised if you couldn't beat that citation.

I'd be more convinced by all the Klim apologists if they could point to a few cases where Klim had actually honored their guarantee.

What they have demonstrated is the impossible high bar to have a successful claim on road or off road.

Klim makes quality products, and that is the sole reason to purchase them -- their worthless guarantee should not be a consideration.

Bruce Hodges
Kansas City

Mmmm...if it were me, I would be having a discussion with an attorney. I would be surprised if you couldn't beat that citation.

I have retained a law firm to deal with the Loss of Control citation. As far as cutting me slack on a speeding ticket, I don't think there is any way there was sufficient evidence there to give me a ticket for 5 over the limit.

BTW, the police report did not have any mention or reference to a citation. That was not a factor in Klim denying the warranty.

Two big take aways for me on this: keep wearing the airbag, and get at least $2,000 in gear insurance on your motorcycle policy.

Back