• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aerostitch Questions....

jnrugg

I have been working on my wife in letting me spend the $$$ on a Aerostitch R3 suit. It seems very convenient, esp. for commuting.
Zip on ... zip off.
But I do have some questions I hope those with experience can answer.

1. For men, when you have to pee, is there a flap for that or do you have to zip down to the right spot?
2. How does the R3 do in 90F weather? I am talking Bloomsburg hot weather.
3. Can you put your boots on first and then the suit?
4. Does anyone make a suit like Aerostitch, who are their competitors?

Many Thanks

This is Scarysharkface in Truro, NS on his way home from Labrador. I’ve got the surfboards. Can you tell from this pic how the zippers are set up? He was loving his suit for his long trip but this was quite a few years ago.
i-3zTqzHP-S.jpg

I like my 2-piece Darien. No issues with taking on-off. From the prices I see in their latest catalog, it's priced nearly the same as the R-3...a little less actually.

Roadcrafter

I have been working on my wife in letting me spend the $$$ on a Aerostitch R3 suit. It seems very convenient, esp. for commuting.
Zip on ... zip off.

1. For men, when you have to pee, is there a flap for that or do you have to zip down to the right spot?

Many Thanks
Hotter than a Dutch oven, stiffer than a rusty suit of armor, and I can't easily get my hands into the pockets. However, great weather repellency, great armor and tough as s**t. Plus probably the best customer service of any vendor going (which is big in my opinion). Zip down to take the p, 90 degree, horrible unless you are moving, boots on first if you are a circus acrobat, but all being said there are not real competitors for quality of product.

Hotter than a Dutch oven, stiffer than a rusty suit of armor, and I can't easily get my hands into the pockets. However, great weather repellency, great armor and tough as s**t. Plus probably the best customer service of any vendor going (which is big in my opinion). Zip down to take the p, 90 degree, horrible unless you are moving, boots on first if you are a circus acrobat, but all being said there are not real competitors for quality of product.

I am using my 3rd Roadcrafter 2 piece suit and a my Second Darian jacket. It is my go-to gear for most of my riding. Sometimes I wear my Aerostich Transit II perforated waterproof leathers. I have purchased and then given away at least three other sets of gear because it didn't measure up to Aerostich. Riding the Iron Butt Rally in 2003, with temps in the 80s I was wearing a mesh jacket and pants. When the temps hit 94 in Nevada I switched into the Aerostich because at that temperature it was just hot air blowing through the mesh making me hotter and more dehydrated. Motorcycling is not always comfortable. It was 114 when we passed through Las Vegas headed to the checkpoint at Primm, NV.

Aerostich

Zip on ... zip off.

Many Thanks

1. The one piece suit zips top to bottom. Easy to open halfway and pee. Have started to outgrow the one piece but hope to come back.
2. I recently bought a two piece Darien Light for trail riding and road riding. I frequently wear shorts when it is hotter. Went to AMA Vintage days 90+.
When your moving, its good, when your not you need to un-suit.
3. With both suits I always had boots on first.
4. Don't know. After 200,000 miles with their product and exceptional customer service I couldn't imagine wearing anything else.

PS: They give you a discount visiting the factory in Duluth - getting your fit exactly right. Upstairs they cut, assemble and sew the suits.

If you have an issue ten years after you buy their gear, they fix it for a reasonable price.

I love these guys and gals. They rock.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I have used many different types of riding gear over the years. The best for me has been an Aerostitch 2 piece. Yes it can be hot. But you keep hydrated. So easy to put on and take off.

Original Roadcrafter since 2004. My go to suit. Boots on before getting suited up. Half zip to pee. Have ridden in everything from 25 to 100 degrees. No matter what you are wearing at 90 degrees you are going to be hot. I wear shorts in the summer and change layers based on temps.

Still my go to gear after all these years. I also have Klim and Motoport but pick the stich more often than not for ease of use.

An additional question but maybe not necessarily for this thread. How is the Aerostich behind a full faring vs a naked bike?

An additional question but maybe not necessarily for this thread. How is the Aerostich behind a full faring vs a naked bike?

The fairing will extend your wet riding, increase your heat on sunny, hot days.

One thing that I do with my Darien to help with ventilation is that I unzip the jacket 6-8" and then fold (or roll under) the upper lapels to form an open V... with the back vent's zippers opened fully toward the middle. This allows an excellent flow of air... and the only downside is unintended insect collisions. :eek

This combines with the ol' wetting-down technique to deliver an effective solution.

Having owned 2 Aerostich Roadcrafters, I can directly answer some concerns. I had the standard Roadcrafter with liner, and I have the R-3 "light" version. Sold the standard as it was prone to leaks. The R-3 has the new zippers. No leaks. MUCH, MUCH lighter! I thought it would be hard to put on with the armor just stuck in place. No worries, I have yet to knock a piece loose. The R-3 is lighter, the thinner version much lighter. I assume the regular R-3 would be about the same in hot temps, meaning the R-3 design is about 10 degrees happier. Meaning at 85 degrees I can stand it when moving, where the standard suits are hot at 75 in my opinion. Riding behind the RT wind protection means they are too hot for me in high temps. I do run a cooling system ( circulates ice water through a vest ) that allows me to run at higher temps, but my legs get too hot.

One piece is the only way to go for a commuting suit. Traveling....well there are good points about a two piece. I run two piece suits also.

Putting them on with boots is the only way I have ever done it!

90 degrees is too hot on a faired bike to use them. If you have to unzip them to stay cool, they are not protecting.

Zippers are two way. No problem unzipping to use the restroom. Of course, once you get used to putting them on, they come off and on so quick you might jump out of it anyway.

I recently took the plunge, so my experience is limited. I went two piece- high viz standard jacket and black roadcrafter LIGHT on the pants as I was concerned about heat on my legs (yeah black- I'm also vain!) The combination feels right to me. I'm still discovering pockets and venting ideas (the instructions refer to using the snaps at leg bottom and then ziping the leg up a little for more airflow.) I was leery about the high viz but it's more yellow than green and with the black contrast and black pants I am highly visible but don't look like a county highway worker or a fireman. Even with the back armour and hip armour (options) I can get it in my topcase on the 2016RT with a LITTLE room for small items. Good on stops because I dont see walking around museums or other sights in that suit! I'll be wearing it for 2 weeks starting this friday (Trip out west from NY) but on a recent short ride it was waaay comfy on a cool day with just a T shirt and light pants under. I'm really excited to use it in many conditions.

I've had a onesie Stich for ten years now. Best commuter suit ever! But when I'll be on the road for days it stays home and I wear the Rallye 3 suit.

Out west where the heat is dry the R3 was okay with a wicking layer underneath, but the wind protection on the GSA was too good to allow air up my sleeves unless I alternated holding one hand at a time up for air flow. Back east in high heat and humidity it was barely tolerable when moving, but if traffic was held up by construction or a crash it was absolutely miserable.

Pete

Having owned 2 Aerostich Roadcrafters, I can directly answer some concerns. I had the standard Roadcrafter with liner, and I have the R-3 "light" version. Sold the standard as it was prone to leaks. The R-3 has the new zippers. No leaks. MUCH, MUCH lighter! I thought it would be hard to put on with the armor just stuck in place. No worries, I have yet to knock a piece loose. The R-3 is lighter, the thinner version much lighter. I assume the regular R-3 would be about the same in hot temps, meaning the R-3 design is about 10 degrees happier. Meaning at 85 degrees I can stand it when moving, where the standard suits are hot at 75 in my opinion. Riding behind the RT wind protection means they are too hot for me in high temps. I do run a cooling system ( circulates ice water through a vest ) that allows me to run at higher temps, but my legs get too hot.

One piece is the only way to go for a commuting suit. Traveling....well there are good points about a two piece. I run two piece suits also.

Putting them on with boots is the only way I have ever done it!

90 degrees is too hot on a faired bike to use them. If you have to unzip them to stay cool, they are not protecting.

Zippers are two way. No problem unzipping to use the restroom. Of course, once you get used to putting them on, they come off and on so quick you might jump out of it anyway.

What are the good points of a 2 piece suit?
I looked at the Klim suits at Max's and the combo cost more than a one piece 'stitch as the 2 piece 'stitches do if I recall correctly.

I've had a onesie Stich for ten years now. Best commuter suit ever! But when I'll be on the road for days it stays home and I wear the Rallye 3 suit.

Out west where the heat is dry the R3 was okay with a wicking layer underneath, but the wind protection on the GSA was too good to allow air up my sleeves unless I alternated holding one hand at a time up for air flow. Back east in high heat and humidity it was barely tolerable when moving, but if traffic was held up by construction or a crash it was absolutely miserable.

Pete

I have a 1150RT and when the weather is bad I am glad for the protection.
When it's Bloomburg hot not so much, but the electric windshield helps the upper body.
Looking at a GSA I never thought the wind protection was that good.
A GS for the next ride has been considered, but don't want to give up the wind protection.
May have to reconsider.

What are the good points of a 2 piece suit?
I looked at the Klim suits at Max's and the combo cost more than a one piece 'stitch as the 2 piece 'stitches do if I recall correctly.

Two piece suits allow you to remove the jacket. When at fuel stops, or going into a store to pick up some stuff, or into a restaurant that is nice. Pants don't look quite as alien to other people when you go inside! In warm temps I wear shorts and weird socks with my boots so keeping pants on is less frightening to children! Two piece suits can at times be more comfortable, but not always.

I like having both types, there are times when one is simply the better choice. If I were commuting again a one piece would be my only suit for that.

There are those that swear a non mesh suit is comfortable at 100 degrees. Swear that mesh is the wrong choice. Let them get stopped in traffic, or get into slow traffic for while in 90 degree weather and then explain that theory to me. There is NO one suit does it all. I have different gear for different situations. I just got back from North Carolina. I rode up in my mesh kevlar Motoport two piece. Rode in the R-3 Aerostich one piece most of the time up there. It was in the 70's to low 80's and raining some. Stich is perfect for that. Mesh kevlar for the return trip, with my ice water cooling vest in use most of the time.

Thanks for all the comments and experiences.
I do have a mesh jacket & pants for Bloomburg days, no rain liners.
So I think I will go ahead with the R3 suit.

Any options that are must have or very nice to have?

Back