• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stop Sale on all NEW BMW Motorcycles

I can tell you that my made in 6/2023 had a line to the canister the was already cracking and splitting . Ordered 4/26 and took delivery 7/8/23 . Only 1 of the 3 lines had this issue . The one way valve had been updated from what the parts diagram shows to what is on my 2023 unit . 16 13 8 567 224 FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE 0.22 1 $91.99

It's not "strange" that it's USA only ... USA is likely the only country requiring this equipment.

First thing I did when I bought my R1100S was order the canister and stuff from eBay. Surprising a dealer sold me it without ...I'd say that was illegal. There is no good reason to remove this stuff unless you simply think it's ugly. There is no performance enhancement and the stuff weighs maybe two pounds. I have a gas fired water heater in my garage ...don't need fuel fumes from my bikes.

Have to think of business reasons for BMW's actions ...

The EPA stuff is obviously paramount.
Franchise agreements surely give BMW the right to dictate to dealers. To not ban sales of used bikes is to condone their condition in the eyes of the regulators ... probably.
BMW builds (some) engines and frames, most of the rest of the bike comes from suppliers. This is very likely a wake up call to the supplier that provided the defective equipment. In the early 2000s Mercedes fitted an electronic brake system that proved quite unreliable and you better believe Bosch is paying for the situation where those systems are now warranted for 25 years. I bet BMW takes the costs of this out of the supplier's hide and will have demonstrated to all its suppliers it's serious. They can monetize the costs of lost sales.

Modifications are interesting.

EPA (gov't) has been shutting down some big diesel modification operations with either big fines or worse. Diesels have been pretty hard hit and have deserved to be ... although USA requirements for USA pickups are a lot less strict than for German diesels in Mercedes, BMW, and VW, which are now gone from the USA. Diesels emit particulates. I think a lot of people think that because their state doesn't do emissions testing it's ok to remove Federally mandated emissions equipment. I'm pretty sure they're mistaken.

Paul questions Airheads ...

He remembers that since 1981 they featured what the car folks call "secondary air," that is, fresh air into the exhaust system beyond the exhaust valve. From 1985 there was the SHED system to control fumes from the fuel tank. I'm pretty sure the removal rate of these systems by owners of these bike is very high. Couldn't say for earlier models, although I recall CFO.

Paul questions Airheads ...

He remembers that since 1981 they featured what the car folks call "secondary air," that is, fresh air into the exhaust system beyond the exhaust valve.

Ah yes! The famous "solution to pollution is dilution" gambit. Just as many particles but a lower concentration in the enlarged airflow!

I can tell you that my made in 6/2023 had a line to the canister the was already cracking and splitting . Ordered 4/26 and took delivery 7/8/23 . Only 1 of the 3 lines had this issue . The one way valve had been updated from what the parts diagram shows to what is on my 2023 unit . 16 13 8 567 224 FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE 0.22 1 $91.99

What were your symptoms that led to this repair? My 23 RS was built 5/18/23

What were your symptoms that led to this repair? My 23 RS was built 5/18/23

Repair was delete it . Symptom ? Well when you do a all stop sale because of EVAP equipment not functioning or meeting EPA I'll just roll with its better left off .

From my dealer:

9/29/23 4:58pm pdt

BMW LIFTS Stop-Sale Order

On September 29th, CalMoto was informed by BMW North America states that the stop-sale order has been

LIFTED!

This was NOT a safety related matter. There is NO
technical action (recall) required at this time related
to this stop sale on any of our products.

We are excited to be able to retail BMW's to all our
new and current customers. Come to CalMoto to test
ride any model on showroom floor and see what is
being delivered next for you to enjoy.

Thank you for understanding and working with us
during this time.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

:clap:clap:clap

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
From my dealer:

BMW LIFTS Stop-Sale Order

On September 29th, CalMoto was informed by BMW North America states that the stop-sale order has been

LIFTED!

This was NOT a safety related matter. There is NO
technical action (recall) required at this time related
to this stop sale on any of our products.

We are excited to be able to retail BMW's to all our
new and current customers. Come to CalMoto to test
ride any model on showroom floor and see what is
being delivered next for you to enjoy.

Thank you for understanding and working with us
during this time.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

:dance:dance:dance

Nice :clap

Thanks.

OM

From the Hermys (FB) site-

We are back in action! As of this evening, BMW Motorrad has lifted their stop sale and we'll be back in the shop at 9 A.M. tomorrow to continue sales as usual. Thank you to all of our customers for remaining patient over the past week, now let's get out and ride!

Still nothing (global) on the web.

Hope for the best.

OM

So what happened during the period the sales were stopped? Were the hoses replaced?

I also wonder how many people just removed their canister and plugged the hoses.

Oh well.

E.

So what happened during the period the sales were stopped? Were the hoses replaced?

I also wonder how many people just removed their canister and plugged the hoses.

Oh well.

E.

Nobody that I saw (except one anecdote) said it was a hose issue. Just an emissions issue. Maybe hoses. Maybe charcoal. Maybe canister design. Maybe suspected skullduggery. Why else would the sale of Airheads and /2 bikes be halted?? We don't know and I suspect BMW is not saying.

There will probably soon be a contest of sorts to see who can convincingly espouse the most outrageous conspiracy theory. That would be normal for the internet.

There will probably soon be a contest of sorts to see who can convincingly espouse the most outrageous conspiracy theory. That would be normal for the internet.

Okay. I’ll start.

It was a clever move by BMW marketing to build up interest and demand for the product, including the new GS?

Next?

Corporate Policy "Keep them in the dark, feed them bull ****, they are all just mushrooms."

We are likely to never know what this corporate kafuffle was all about.

Word at the dealer this weekend was that test equipment was contaminated ergo bad results.

And so it goes.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Let's continue with the "conspiracies"!

The EPA is broke, so they're going after any and all modifications.

The out-sourced plastic housing is bio-degradable, so it breaks (if the mice don't eat it first) and spreads wet charcoal everywhere.

The out-sourced charcoal is actually recycled termite droppings.

:bolt

Last edited:
There were plenty of "canisterectomies" performed on the 1150 series bikes. I know I got rid of mine even though I kept it in a box for the next owner, just in case..

Back