• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to the MOA - Considering my first BMW

I would love to fly out, buy it, ride cross country home. But it's still way out of the budget [emoji1745]

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I think your decision to pass on the one in your original post was a wise decision given your budget. I think it would cost way too much to make that bike's broken frame right.

But don't quit looking. The right bike at the right price will pop up and be available. Don't miss the opportunity to find what you really want. Good looking!

Does it really have to be a GS? The marketplace shows several RT's, and a few R's, of various years not far from you.
My main concern (only concern?) is getting my feet further below my butt so I'm not cramping up on long rides. I just sort of assumed the GS would be the best at that given its taller stance, but I am more than happy to be corrected!

My main concern (only concern?) is getting my feet further below my butt so I'm not cramping up on long rides. I just sort of assumed the GS would be the best at that given its taller stance, but I am more than happy to be corrected!

You can use this site to see how different bikes will fit you.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Here a quick fix for the motorcycle that you have now. Lower your riding pegs it will help with the campiness of the bike and buy some time until you find the right bike for you.

If you like your ST, you’ll like an R1200RT, too.

See if they light you up. You can scratch hard on the backroads or roll down the interstate in a nice calm pocket of air. Heated seats, grips, cruise control.

I had a GS and an RT. If I was going somewhere, I always took the RT, so I converted the GS to a 916. :groovy

Appreciate all the additional feedback!

So, my hangup is on my recent trip to Maine I camped as much as I could. So I was leaning toward the GS as it seems like the obvious choice to cover mileage on asphalt, but also be able to get me off the beaten path at the end of the day to find a place to camp. I'm certainly open to the RT. Heck, there's one on the marketplace about three hours west of me with 105k for $1600 that I might go look at. Buuuuut I'm not really sure about getting a different bike and still being stuck to pavement.

Thoughts?

I've ridden my '03 1150RT on hard-packed dirt and gravel and done okay. I've navigated some fairly level grassy areas with it, too. On surfaces softer than these I would probably not do too well with it. Your skill level may be higher than mine.

I think the highway tires are probably the greatest limitation.

I agree that for modest gravel roads, parking lots, construction zones, campgrounds, and other unpaved surfaces tires are the biggest limitation. I normally ran 80/20 style dual sport tires on my R1150R and other than whoops, dips, and jumps it would go anywhere most folks took their R1150GSs.

I normally ran 80/20 style dual sport tires on my R1150R and other than whoops, dips, and jumps it would go anywhere most folks took their R1150GSs.

I always tell short people to check out the R version if they’re too short for a GS. Those bikes work just fine off-pavement and they’re a better value than the high-margin GS.

I always tell short people to check out the R version if they’re too short for a GS. Those bikes work just fine off-pavement and they’re a better value than the high-margin GS.

I've always been surprised that more people do not buy the R.
There's a fair number of GS riders who do not leave the hard surface or gravel roads.
A new loaded R is $4,000 to $5,000 cheaper than a loaded GS.
That's with starting the Build Your Own GS with a no extra cost color.

Hi Horsehead

I agree with Lee and Visian, The r1100 or r1150 are great bikes on or off the road with limitations. I owned and rode a 1995 r1100 here in Taiwan for a couple of years. I rode paved roads, gravel roads and paths through the mountains without trouble. On the plus side is you can pick up a low mileage one cheap compared to other BMW's. That would be my choice with the information you have given; you can build it up and add aftermarket items as you get the dough. Have fun, stay ahead of the Cagers, ride fast and live wild.

Back