• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do people knocking on your helmet like a door bother you?

Pasta_Mouse

I'm just wondering if it's just me.
This morning I'm in line at the store at the register when a guy comes up behind me and starts knocking on my helmet, "Hello, can you hear in that thing!?". Without hesitation I spun around, grabbed him and started saying some unpleasant stuff in an elevated tone.
He was just trying to be funny and all, I get it. But over the years I have become increasingly tired of people doing this to me. Some give a light tap and some have hit me pretty hard. When I'm facing them I can catch it 100% of the time and stop it before it happens. Back turned to them? Not so much....
I just want to add that I'm a pretty chill person, it takes a lot to get me riled up. But for some reason it really jerks my frog when people do this.
So does this happen to other riders here and does it bother them?

Never had it happen in 52 years of riding motors. Likely because I don't enter a store with my helmet on though ;)
True. Won't happen if you're not wearing one. I only leave it on if I'm popping in and out on the quick. 30+ years riding for me and this has happened more times than I can count.

I don't live in an area where "pop in and out" really works, and would generally get too warm keeping it on, so I just take it off. Never had it happen, but I don't think it would happen where I live either... That might be a small town thing, as I can't imagine it happening in most large cities except among close friends already in a group.

I don't live in an area where "pop in and out" really works, and would generally get too warm keeping it on, so I just take it off. Never had it happen, but I don't think it would happen where I live either... That might be a small town thing, as I can't imagine it happening in most large cities except among close friends already in a group.
I'm in a small community right now. Generally it's people I know but I've had complete strangers do it to me. And if it's cold I'm leaving it on for a pop in. I think it was 39° this morning.

Since getting back into riding twenty years ago, never had this happened. I usually leave the helmet locket to the pillion grab bar with a combination bike lock. Occasionally I will leave it on for a quick visit in and out of a store. Bet that your "knocking" experiences are rather unique to you.

Since getting back into riding twenty years ago, never had this happened. I usually leave the helmet locket to the pillion grab bar with a combination bike lock. Occasionally I will leave it on for a quick visit in and out of a store. Bet that your "knocking" experiences are rather unique to you.
I was thinking that it happens to others less. Or not even at all.

Might have something to do with the size of the person under the helmet with the ballistic nylon jacket with shoulder pads.

I can’t imagine doing that to some anonymous person the size of an NFL linebacker. I would not take kindly to such foolishness.

:dance :dance :dance

Never had it happen.

You’ve identified your behavior that leads others to do something that irritates you. I am not saying it is your fault, but you can stop others from knocking on your helmet by not wearing it in stores. Judging by the description you provided of how you responded to the knocking, you may very well find yourself in a situation involving a violent response to your response. If that happens it could end badly for all involved.

Or, you could put a decal on your helmet that says something that will dissuade people from knocking.

Add me to the “never had it happen but I don’t walk around wearing it either” crowd. I think you just ran across a person who thinks they’re funnier than everyone else thinks. Hopefully, by your reaction, which would have been mine too, he learned a lesson to not walk up to a stranger and touch them.

Pasta,

Since this is something that bugs you (it certainly would me and others that responded), your only solution is to be preemptive and remove your helmet and leave it at your bike. I know that can be a pain, but which do you prefer, a few extra seconds or more possible confrontations. Anything done after the the knocking has the potential to go sideways. I know it’s not fair, but it’s also not worth ruining your enjoyment of riding over. Unfortunately there will always be jerks.

:dance :dance :dance

I have been to three country fairs and a goat-roping contest and never heard of such an occurrence.
Maybe it’s not the wearing of the helmet?

Perhaps the people responding in the comments section say it all. :hungover

:eek

OM

Exactly right fbt80. That doesn't work in big towns with any kind of crime rates. You take your helmet off or you're forced to leave, like pronto. Those store/bank cameras are there for a reason. I have never worn my helmet into any establishment.

Back