• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do people knocking on your helmet like a door bother you?

I use this to hang my helmet. Works well wrapped around a handlebar. Quick to remove and store. Basically use it upside down from the photo.1710607622199.png

I'm washing my hands when this twenty-something rider comes in with a one piece brand new leather track suit, sliders and all and a helmet under his arm. He walks right up to the urinal and sets his helmet ON THE GROUND BETWEEN HIS FEET! Not on its top but right side up. Unzips and gets to leakin'. To this very day I will never forget Piss Helmet Guy... :sick:
Just a young guy showing off how he can pee into the urinal without dribbling on his helmet :)

I've been wearing a modular helmet since 2008 & walk into service stations all the time with it raised up. No one has ever knocked on my helmet. If someone ever did knock on my helmet I'd knock on there head just as hard or harder and say how does that feel dumas.

Last edited:
This a full face helmet?
You're lucky you have only had people knocking. Frankly, I am surprised someone hasn't pointed a shotgun at you at some time.

As for me, I take my helmet off, a few extra seconds of effort goes a long way in communication. When riding I have some of my best conversations with people in quick stops. Makes the ride interesting. St.

A full face helmet could be linked to wearing a balaclava and hoodie to conceal identity.
There are more than a few armed shop owners who are antsy about not seeing a face walk into their store but a blank.
It doesn't matter if you are in high viz yellow, or black leather, they can't see the human face with a full face helmet on.
Some people don't like motorcyclists at all, so while you may not look like a gang member, you still are just another motorcyclist.
A non human could be considered a threat. Some people react to perceived threats a bit more radically than others.

As for the second part of my reply. Do you just go into a place to use the rest room, or do you interact with a cashier? If I were a cashier at a store, I would like to see the person's face I am dealing with. I want to hear clearly what they are saying to me without a block in front of their mouth. Also I would like for them to be able to hear me without my having to shout if they have ear protection in.
St.

A full face helmet could be linked to wearing a balaclava and hoodie to conceal identity.
There are more than a few armed shop owners who are antsy about not seeing a face walk into their store but a blank.
It doesn't matter if you are in high viz yellow, or black leather, they can't see the human face with a full face helmet on.
Some people don't like motorcyclists at all, so while you may not look like a gang member, you still are just another motorcyclist.
A non human could be considered a threat. Some people react to perceived threats a bit more radically than others.

As for the second part of my reply. Do you just go into a place to use the rest room, or do you interact with a cashier? If I were a cashier at a store, I would like to see the person's face I am dealing with. I want to hear clearly what they are saying to me without a block in front of their mouth. Also I would like for them to be able to hear me without my having to shout if they have ear protection in.
St.
I wear a modular. If I leave it on the chin bar is always up. If I'm in a "riskier", more urban area I always make sure my face is clearly visible. I make eye contact, smile and am friendly. Before I get to the front door I make sure that my wallet is visible in my hand and visible. Once inside I go straight to the counter, NEVER wandering the aisles. If i have to shop for some stuff then I'll take my helmet off. Never had a problem. Even in the city area where one member is from that said there'd be a problem if you tried this there. IMO a lot of it has to do with how you present and carry yourself.
For the second part, like I said I go straight to the counter. If I had to use the restroom I'd take my helmet off. And buy something, even if I don't need anything. Many of these stations and stores are run by people that are operating on tight margins. Just because it says Texaco on the front doesn't mean that it's a faceless corporate giant. Lots are Mom and Pop stores trying to make it. So I always buy something.
Sorry this went on a bit more than I expected. :giggle:

St.

If a shop owner is antsy about not seeing a face, too bad. If a shop owner's BP is raised by someone walking in with a helmet on, they need a chill pill [ they're likely just a little paranoid to begin with ].

I've already said I don't walk into places with helmet on, however, unless there's a "legal" [ as in state statute/s ] sign stating no covering your face when you enter, if someone were to take offense to my wearing it into the store, they can KMA.

Two completely different attitudes displayed with regard to the feelings of others. You decide which one you want to emulate. My choice is crystal clear.

Never had it doe to me either and I wear my helmet inside all the time but also in my small towns I don't think people would bother me much anyway.

This a full face helmet?
You're lucky you have only had people knocking. Frankly, I am surprised someone hasn't pointed a shotgun at you at some time.

As for me, I take my helmet off, a few extra seconds of effort goes a long way in communication. When riding I have some of my best conversations with people in quick stops. Makes the ride interesting. St.
A little dramatic (or paranoid) Steve. For the past 4 years we've had millions of people walk into convenience stores, banks, etc wearing masks and I haven't heard of a single instance where anyone was blown away as they merely walked in.

I generally put my helmet on the ground when I stop and take it off. No chance of it falling then.

I generally put my helmet on the ground when I stop and take it off. No chance of it falling then.
Around 20 years ago a local in Texas saw us sit our helmets on the ground and he warned us not to do that because of scorpions.
After that we would hang the helmets on the mirrors. The R1200/1250RS mirrors move when we tried that so we now have a little hook under the rear rack to hang our helmets from.

Back