• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do people knocking on your helmet like a door bother you?

Around 20 years ago a local in Texas saw us sit our helmets on the ground and he warned us not to do that because of scorpions.
After that we would hang the helmets on the mirrors. The R1200/1250RS mirrors move when we tried that so we now have a little hook under the rear rack to hang our helmets from.
And I thought getting bees in your helmet was bad enough. But helmet scorpions!?

And I thought getting bees in your helmet was bad enough. But helmet scorpions!?
You keep your boots and your stuff in your tent in the desert and make sure you keep your tent zipped up unless you'd like scorpions in your gear and a snake sleeping on you. :ha

You keep your boots and your stuff in your tent in the desert and make sure you keep your tent zipped up unless you'd like scorpions in your gear and a snake sleeping on you. :ha
That's what freaked Debbie out. She thought about all the times we had camped in Texas with our boots and helmets in the vestibule.

That's what freaked Debbie out. She thought about all the times we had camped in Texas with our boots and helmets in the vestibule.
My stuff all lives in the house now, even here in NorCal.

Once the idea of keeping stuff in the tent got installed in my head in 1972, I've faithfully done so. We used to camp using what we called a "tube tent", which was basically a plastic cylinder. You'd string a line through it and sleep inside. If you were in the desert, you brought clothespins to make sure you kept the critters out overnight. Your big snoozing body looks like a warm place for a cold blooded critter to sleep.

Interestingly, when folks from back east come visit out here, they don't understand what those big metal boxes in the campsite are for until one of the locals starts telling them bear stories and they realize that those are bear boxes to keep the bear out of your tent. :ha

I got that advice from Lee a few years ago and it has worked well. Better to have a smudge on the outside than lil red ants at 70 mph.

Reactions: lee
That's a fair caution but I'm pretty sure around here the worst I have to think about is a black fly and they'll already be all over you!

I've been bitched at on other forums about making off topic posts. That's my first que to leave!

I'm not want to place my helmet on the ground for any reason unless absolutely necessary. I've not found a reason to do so in 52 years of riding yet

I've slept many nights sleeping on the ground in deserts without a tent. Creepy crawly and slithering things are around but I've never been bothered by one while sleeping. But then, I slept with my boots and helmet on.

That’s never happened to me. I take my helmet off before going inside. However, back in the mid 80s I was in La Porte, Tx. getting some gas at a pump for my Sportster when a Bandido fueling his bike at the next pump made a derogatory comment about me wearing a helmet. I hadn’t yet taken off my full-face helmet. I just turned around and gave him a short stare, said nothing, and kept to my business. He didn’t say anything else, and that was the end of it. But if you spin around, “grab” someone, and start saying “unpleasant stuff” in an “elevated” tone, you better be ready for an elevated response.

Last edited:
Back