• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to the MOA - Considering my first BMW

horsehead

Hey all,

As the title states, I'm new to the MOA and oddly enough, joined when I didn't even own a BMW. I have been listening to Wes' two podcasts religiously and decided to bite the bullet and join the MOA mainly as a way to support those, but also with the knowledge that I've always wanted a BMW, so sooner or later that would become a reality as well.

Bit of background... I learned to ride when I was a teenager with a friend who had an extra motorcycle and let me borrow one of his whenever we went out. I didn't have a license or even so much as a permit and almost got myself killed. I don't recommend learning that way. Many years later, I got my permit, bought a bike, to the MSF course, and got my license the right way. I rode that bike, a 1997 Honda Shadow 1100 for a couple of years. After a while I realized I wasn't a fan of cruisers, so I traded it for a 2001 Bandit 1200. I loved that bike and rode it for several years, until family and financial considerations required me to sell it. 5 years passed and the opportunity to ride again fell into my lap earlier this year. I did a bunch of research and bought a 2001 Honda ST1100. Since March I have logged almost 6000 miles on that bike, including a recent trip from North Carolina to Maine and back.

20210801_133737.jpg

The ST1100 is a great bike. The engine is smooth as a sewing machine and just flat out runs without any fuss. I did 2500 miles in 5 days last week and it never gave me so much as a moment's trouble. I had hoped this bike would be my faithful mount for many years. But, after this recent trip, I have realized that the riding position is just not going to work for me. I am 6'1", weigh 275lbs, and have a 32" inseam. My knees and legs were cramped and aching after just a couple of hundred miles. 2 days of the trip I did almost 700 miles. I could do it, but it was agony by the end of it. I have highway blades on on it, and could move around and change body position and stretch and whatnot. But I just couldn't deal with my feet being tucked up (relatively) under me for so long.

So, almost as soon as I got home, I told my wife that as much as I had enjoyed the trip, I was going to be on the lookout for a new bike. She's very supportive of the hobby, but doesn't like to be surprised by big purchases, so I wanted her to know ahead of time that I was actively considering replacing the ST1100...

Enter the BMW... For the past couple of months I have been sporadically checking Facebook Market Place, Craigslist, and the classified sectionson various forums, getting an idea for what a good deal might look like on a GS. I had never ridden one, but knew they had a great reputation and were much taller than my ST and would likely have a more suitable riding position for me.

This morning, I was checking FB marketplace and saw a gentleman about an hour south of me listed his 2007 1200GS for just shy of $5000 with 47K on the clock and a host of aftermarket add ons (Happy Trails Aluminum cases mounted on the GSA frame, Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED Auxiliary Lights with a Skene IQ-175 intelligent lighting controller, FZ-1 Fuse block (under the seat), Woody’s Wheels set Black with billet hubs and stainless super-laced spokes, Low Wilbur Shocks, Hepco Becker upper and lower protection guards, PivotPegz, Russell Daylong seat (front and back).

I immediately messaged him, and this evening I went down to look at it / test ride it.

20210811_192959.jpg

I immediately loved the riding position. He has lowered the suspension a bit so he could get his feet on the ground easier. I'm a bit taller so I could raise it back up. I've never ridden a BMW, but it felt great to me. I didn't notice any hiccups or hesitations in my 30 minute or so test ride. Gear shifts were smooth and everything seemed to work just as it should. The ST1100s brakes aren't great, but they're certainly not bad either. But HOLY CRAP the front brakes on this bike were amazing compared to what I am used to... Oddly enough though, the rear brake didn't perform quite as good as my ST's.

Anyways, all of that is fine and good, but there is one concern. He was in a wreck several years ago on a secondary road. He told me the story. It was raining heavily and he hit a large pool of water in the road and the bike went out from him. He slid to a stop and realized he had a broken leg. He went to the hospital and his sister road the bike home as it had only sustained minimal damage.

The bike obviously went down on the right side. There is some road rash on the crash bars, cylinder head, and luggage. That's not really much of a concern to me. But, the pillion footpeg on the right side seems to have taken the brunt of the fall and resulted some damage to the frame in that area.

20210811_193115.jpg

20210811_193028.jpg

20210811_193017.jpg

20210811_193013.jpg

According to the owner, this was several years ago and has never affected the ride of the bike. He and a knowledgeable friend straightened the frame back out as much as possible and welded / repainted the affected area. He showed me pictures of what it looked like before they attempted to repair it, and it didn't look to bad to be honest. I didn't notice it negatively affecting anything during my test ride... but then, I have no BMW baseline to test it against, if that makes sense.

I know there will likely be a range of opinions, but I wanted to at least reach out here and see what you all think about this? Would this be a deal breaker? At this price I'm sure it won't last long, and he's willing to hold onto it for a couple of days for me, as I couldn't really ride it home tonight and I have previous obligations tomorrow... But I don't expect him to hold it through the weekend. I'm not necessarily in a rush, so I don't have to buy the first bike that comes along, but from watching the various for sale places, this one does seem like a steal for the price, mileage, amount of farkles, and overall condition, frame damage not withstanding.

Anyways, thanks for welcoming me to the MOA and for any advice you might be able to share. I told him I'd let him know one way or another in a day or so, so the more input I can get in the shorter the time will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210811_193157.jpg
    20210811_193157.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 241
There's a few BMW dealers in NC and you could pay them to give it a look over. There might even be a couple independent shops too.

hmmm

"He and a knowledgeable friend straightened the frame back out as much as possible and welded / repainted the affected area".
Not for me no matter how cheap.

Welcome, glad to have you in the club. You sure know how to make an impression that was quite a first post, well done. Lots of knowledge to be gleaned from the members here.

As for this particular GS, the damage does not look extensive, the repair does not look that well done either, is this the only issue is the question. That entire rear frame can be removed and replaced easily in an afternoon if necessary and does not affect the handling of the motorcycle if the impact was not too severe and pivots remain square. You can likely source a replacement at beemer boneyard or on Ebay for short money. If there was no damage to the drive line or front end and the tires are straight, for 5K I'd give it a go.

Good luck, hope to see you on the road sometime.

Last edited:
Welcome from Newfoundland. Sorry I can offer any advice really but if it is only the subframe I would definitely consider Jerry's recommendations for replacement. For example the subframe on my 640 has been cracked and welded at least 3 times, it doesn't affect riding in any way. And yes $5K is a steal.

Welcome here. Honestly, I would avoid that bike, it’s not that much of a steal. Outside of the Woody’s wheelset, the accessories are not best-in-category and the bent frame is a big no, if only for resale. Unless I am really mistaken (I owned an HP2 Enduro, whose frame is very similar) the subframe can not be replaced. To bend it, the bike would had to have taken a pretty big whack. I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that if the current owner took his bike to an insurance claims adjuster, they would total it.

The 2010-2013 Oilheads GS are the best of the breed, assuming your budget. Many come up for sale here and on ADVrider.com at prices very close to what you’re looking at.

I have found Facebook sales to often be a little sketchy, you would do well to buy a bike from a fellow MOA member.

Ian

"He and a knowledgeable friend straightened the frame back out as much as possible and welded / repainted the affected area".
Not for me no matter how cheap.

I was curious...That rear subframe is over $3100. Beemer Bone Yard has one for $395. That would be worth swapping out.

He has lowered the suspension a bit so he could get his feet on the ground easier. I'm a bit taller so I could raise it back up..

Replacing the suspension, center stand and side stand will not be cheap.
Welcome to the MOA.

Welcome here. Honestly, I would avoid that bike, it’s not that much of a steal. Outside of the Woody’s wheelset, the accessories are not best-in-category and the bent frame is a big no, if only for resale. Unless I am really mistaken (I owned an HP2 Enduro, whose frame is very similar) the subframe can not be replaced. To bend it, the bike would had to have taken a pretty big whack. I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that if the current owner took his bike to an insurance claims adjuster, they would total it.

The 2010-2013 Oilheads GS are the best of the breed, assuming your budget. Many come up for sale here and on ADVrider.com at prices very close to what you’re looking at.

I have found Facebook sales to often be a little sketchy, you would do well to buy a bike from a fellow MOA member.

Ian

I think this is the best answer to your question. Furthermore, while the "ergo triangle" of the GS is higher from the ground than the ST's, I'm not sure it's actually bigger. Your knees may not notice any benefit after a day's ride. So, other BMW's could be fine for you, and there are accessories for nearly all of them to lower the pegs and raise the bars.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just did a quick search on eBay and see you can get a used subframe less than $200 delivered... Still mulling it over. Really appreciate all the feedback so far!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yeah, that would definitely be a deal breaker to me. He repaired it himself with a "knowledgeable" buddies help? It was bit unclear to me if you discovered this yourself during the inspection or if it was disclosed in advance. If not disclosed, no way I would trust another word out of his mouth, that's a MAJOR red flag that there may be more stuff going on that you didn't find. There are so many bike out there, why take a chance?

But, regardless of what you choose to do, welcome the club. Beemers are great bikes and this is a great forum.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just did a quick search on eBay and see you can get a used subframe less than $200 delivered... Still mulling it over. Really appreciate all the feedback so far!

Unless I am seriously mistaken, the frame is all one piece... they call it a "rear frame" and it costs over $3k from a BMW Dealer.

46 51 7 660 416 REAR FRAME - WEIßALU-2 (to 12/05)

or...

46 51 7 706 358 REAR FRAME - WEIßALU-2 (from 12/05)

If you're getting this for $200 on ebay, I would be very suspect... it would almost definitely be from a crashed bike that has been parted out. And be sure to go to RealOEM.com and put in the bike's VIN... then compare it to the part number stamped on the frame you buy. Note that there are two different frames. And, this is a pretty major repair, too, fwiw... essentially the whole rear half of bike must come apart. Worse than an 1150 clutch job! :ha

:dunno

Ian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 2.57.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 2.57.18 PM.png
    764.4 KB · Views: 187
I went from an ST1100 to an R1150RT. It was a vast improvement in ride and comfort. If you do have yo change out the entire rear frame there may be wire, hoses, etc, to remount. If you don't replace it, you'll be explaining the previous repair job when you try to sell it later.

Replacing the suspension, center stand and side stand will not be cheap.
Welcome to the MOA.

This.

Do yourself a favour and avail yourself of the club's Marketplace. Buy the one listed below. More money but probably less than what you'd spend fixing the one you're looking at now which, with the damage it has, is overpriced by a couple of thousand dollars.

This one has fewer than 10,000 miles.

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classified/perfect-2007-r1200-gs-listing-22717.aspx

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to pass on this bike and give the Honda at least another year or so to see if there are other things I can do to help better with it.

That California bike sure is nice, but out of my price range and on the opposite side of the country (I'm in NC).

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

horsehead;1257763 That California bike sure is nice said:
That's the best part - you get to plot your route home through some great territory!

I bought a bike in Minneapolis once and road it home to Santa Rosa through parts of your country I would never have otherwise seen. I did maybe 50 miles total on interstate highways, the rest were secondary roads. It was fantastic and a trip to remember - which is why we ride, right?

Does it really have to be a GS? The marketplace shows several RT's, and a few R's, of various years not far from you.

Back