• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stop Sale on all NEW BMW Motorcycles

As a BMW Rep once told me during the rear strut DON’T RIDE debacle on RT’s in 2014, “IT DOESN’T MATTER, THE BUYING PUBLIC HAS A VERY SHORT MEMORY. “ That may be so however, if the public keeps getting these reminders on a regular basis perhaps eventually they won’t be so quick to forget.

Last edited:
There has to be a way for BMW to fix its obviously flawed quality control operation.

My best friend is a Yamaha fan, and he keeps asking me why the BMW with its poor quality when there's a great Yamaha dealership less than 2 miles away from me.

I'm embarrassed for BMW, even if BMW is not.

Sad.....

E.

I have friends that were Yamaha loyal…to each their own. They have had issues with valve guides…..transmissions….. recalls also.

Last edited:
I have friends that were Yamaha loyal…to each their own. They have had issues with valve guides…..transmissions….. recalls also.

I owned a Honda GL1800 that was involved in a frame recall, and Honda inspected and re-welded every single one that could develop a problem. They sent me a letter of apology afterwards and extended the warranty on my bike to 50,000 miles in compensation for the inconvenience it caused while the bike was in for repair.

So yeah, they all have problems.

I’m still looking for info on how this occurred…….and the remedy. Seems like after the big dust-up, it’s yesterday’s news. :dunno

A little here- https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news/bmw-usa-temporary-stop-sales-2023

Seems that the Motorrad website needs an update?

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/home.html#/filter-all

:hungover

OM

BMW knows the US EPA doesn’t mess around when it comes to emissions compliance. CFMoto was fined $725,000 in 2014 for a relatively few scooters and ATVs they sold that did not meet regulatory standards, including compliance sticker application.

It does seem odd the stop sale currently only affects US sales though. I wonder if EPA testing determined the design was adversely affected by routine overfilling, which can soak the activated charcoal in the canister and degrade adsorptive properties of the material over time. I think emissions equipment warranty requirement in the US is different than the standard drivetrain warranty, and may be longer.

BMW knows the US EPA doesn’t mess around when it comes to emissions compliance. CFMoto was fined $725,000 in 2014 for a relatively few scooters and ATVs they sold that did not meet regulatory standards, including compliance sticker application.

It does seem odd the stop sale currently only affects US sales though. I wonder if EPA testing determined the design was adversely affected by routine overfilling, which can soak the activated charcoal in the canister and degrade adsorptive properties of the material over time. I think emissions equipment warranty requirement in the US is different than the standard drivetrain warranty, and may be longer.

Yeah, somewhere the VV/Porsche diesel deal was referenced. So many times threads on fuel fill/capacity occur on the forum it makes me wonder about those trying to squeeze every last drop into the tank. I posted that on the F800GS for me to fill it full, without overfilling, to the same level takes a number of visual observations.
Just sticking the fuel nozzle in and waiting for it to automatically stop results in an overflow……which by the way, is not full. It’s just the volume crashing on the nozzle.
It does not on the fuel nozzles- “Do not top off”. :p

OM

BMW seems to have pulled a VW and it has been going on for at least eight years. Appears BMW is in very hot water. There will be heavy fines, the question is how high will they go? Things are going to get much “leaner” balance sheet wise as well as at the exhaust pipe.

BMW seems to have pulled a VW and it has been going on for at least eight years. Appears BMW is in very hot water. There will be heavy fines, the question is how high will they go? Things are going to get much “leaner” balance sheet wise as well as at the exhaust pipe.

What do you know that no one else seems to?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billro...erican-ice-motorcycle-models/?sh=6df1166721c1

“BMW has taken the action of its own volition after an internal investigation and not in response to any regulatory bodies such as the DOT or EPA in the United States or elsewhere. The order affects dealers in the United States and Canada. The DOT and EPA have not issued any bulletins in regards to the issue.”

I just went ahead and resolved the problem on my 2023 RS . The EVAP can is gone , and it was not easy to remove where its stuffed ahead of the ABS unit but behind the radiator . I know this is popular on many BMW's and other makes .

I just went ahead and resolved the problem on my 2023 RS . The EVAP can is gone , and it was not easy to remove where its stuffed ahead of the ABS unit but behind the radiator . I know this is popular on many BMW's and other makes .

I don't understand. If you took the canister out, what did you replace it with in order to meet EPA standards?

E.

What do you know that no one else seems to?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billro...erican-ice-motorcycle-models/?sh=6df1166721c1

“BMW has taken the action of its own volition after an internal investigation and not in response to any regulatory bodies such as the DOT or EPA in the United States or elsewhere. The order affects dealers in the United States and Canada. The DOT and EPA have not issued any bulletins in regards to the issue.”

We all have our sources, the ones we think has most insight. And the Forbes article, perhaps much like when a university does its own "voluntary" investigation, then notifies NCAA of its infractions. It is then when it all hits the fan.

We all have our sources, the ones we think has most insight. And the Forbes article, perhaps much like when a university does its own "voluntary" investigation, then notifies NCAA of its infractions. It is then when it all hits the fan.

I am interested. PM me if you don't care to share publicly.

Let's start at the beginning, how many years back does this PROBLEM go?
Then what is the solution?:dunno:scratch

From what dealers have posted it seems to apply to all new and used BMW motorcycles. A quick glance at the inventory at Engle Motors in Kansas City shows they have a 1991 R100RT, a 1978 R100RS, and a 1952 R51 listed. I wonder about a stop sale on those???????????????????????

Last edited:
Back