• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Full face or Modular helmet ?

Full face are quieter but modulars are convenient, specially if you wear specs. Full face are generally lighter than modulars. And of course the more expensive Carbon helmets are lighter than fiberglass or plastic.
The quietest I've ever had was a Shuberth C2 modular. Didn't fit well. I had a Shoei Neotec, comfy but heavy, and now have an X-Lite 1004 ultracarbon modular for on-road and a Nexx WED 2 full face for off-road.

The important points are heads and helmets come in different shapes and often don't match. Modulars are convenient. Try before you buy.

A string of Schuberth helmets, including a C2 I crashed and landed face first in. They didn't fit my "long oval" head shape, so I switched to a Shoei Neotec and couldn't be happier. I added the Sena built in com system, which mounts completely inside the helmet and has a little clip on remote that you stick on your left grip.

I wear glasses, so even though I have to take them off to put the helmet on or off, it's way easier than threading it through my eye port. No issues with noise that I can detect, but I wear earplugs religiously.

If you plan on attending a track day, note that you may not be allowed to attend in a modular or flip up helmet. If that's on your agenda, it might be a factor later.

If anything, being able to stop somewhere, have a drink (or a smoke, if you do that), without having to take your helmet off is pretty terrific.

There are enough on the market now that you can shop for a modular that will fit your head shape. Schuberths always gave me a red dot in the middle of my forehead until I would take a ball peen hammer to them and collapse the foam enough, usually no more than like an 1/8th of an inch, to relieve the pressure point. No such requirement with the Shoei for me or my wife.

Also: given the exchange rate, you may be able to score a helmet from the UK right now for like $500.

Also: given the exchange rate, you may be able to score a helmet from the UK right now for like $500.

I wouldn't do that if I were you, for a couple of reasons.

1) Companies do change the spec of the helmets in different countries/regions with regard to things like fit. A Shoei from Europe (or another global region) may not fit the same as one for the US/North America market. They research these things and determine what is going to fit their demographic customer base in the region. I read this somewhere, but I cannot recall the exact source.

2) Not all helmets from regions outside the USA are DOT approved, and if you live in (or even just ride in) a state with helmet laws, they usually specify a DOT approved helmet. Crash without one, or even get stopped by an over zealous LOE, you might get a ticket for not having a DOT approved lid. If you crash and get injured without the DOT lid and you could have bigger problems with insurance coverage.

For instance: the Shoei Glamster (retro styled full face helmet) is not sold in the US and has no DOT approval.

Proceed with caution on helmets bought outside the USA, and be sure there is a decent return policy if the fit is not as expected. Better yet, just pay the extra few $ to get a US model and know exactly what you're getting.

I've had modular for, well, let's see? Since I found out that they existed.

As I have the "long-oval" head shape, in size XXL or XXXL depending on the brand, I have to shop around. I've never bought a helmet online, or from a catalog, and I wish other people would quit doing it because the shops have severely limited their inventories. I can't blame them, people come in and try them on, find what they like, and then go home and "save" three dollars after shipping costs. But, that's another story for another thread.

At any rate, back to the point. Currently I have a Bell, which I got because the Schubert C-3 I wanted seemed to compress my forehead to the point that my eyeballs were bugging out. I've also had luck with HJC. I had an Arai long ago, but their exponential price increases left me looking for other brands. Really like my Bell.

I think you'll be quite happy with a modular. The convenience is a game changer.

I've never bought a helmet online, or from a catalog, and I wish other people would quit doing it because the shops have severely limited their inventories.

I fully agree. Many shops will even meet or beat the online stores if you ask. And I was able to exchange a helmet after owning it for more than 30 days, and the shop provided full credit, in addition to reducing the price of the replacement Shoei by $50 under anywhere I could get it online. They have my helmet business for sure now.

I don't want to start a heated discussion, but we need to support our local businesses or one day, they won't be there when we need them. I know it's not possible for everyone, but for those that can, I highly recommend it.

FWIW-

Two terms retailers may have heard in the last few years are "showrooming" and "webrooming." Showrooming is a trend in shopping behavior where consumers visit stores to touch and feel the products but opt to purchase them online

OM

Time for a new helmet . Been riding for lots of years with full face helmets .
Is it time for a flip ?
Will road ride only . Stop dirt riding years ago .

So what do you use and why ?

Mike

Ok going with a flip helmet. Shoei Neotec 2 . Fits my head good and has nice features .

Thanks for everyone’s input :clap
Mike

I'm currently in an HJC modular. I find that very few helmets fit me very well. I have basically a long-oval head but with a point up on the crown and a high forehead. Twenty years ago I had an HJC full-face that fit really well. At some point I had two Scorpions in a row that were the best-fitting and best-designed helmets I've ever had, but then after the EXO-700 something in Scorpion's designs changed and I no longer found them comfortable. The last Scorpion was replaced by the current HJC modular, which I only found after trying on just about every helmet in two states. I'll admit that it's more than five years old at this point but as I don't ride as much as I'd like, it's in great shape and I don't feel terrible about its age- but I know that replacement should be on my radar. The problem I find these days, related to some of the discussion above, is that all the shops only carry the same basic stuff wherever you go and none of it fits me (same with gloves, boots...). And because hardly anything fits me comfortably, I'm not going to take a chance on an online purchase.

Some years ago I tried on a Klim helmet that was really comfy (and also really FUGLY!), but as I wasn't in the market for a bucket I didn't have a spare $600+ lying around. Not that long ago I tried on a Schuberth that very surprisingly seemed like a great fit (all their previous models were a disastrously poor fit on me). But again, sticker shock. Before you say it, I'm a working-class schmuck who doesn't have a huge budget for gear and I take the rational approach that any legally-sold helmet is far and away better than none and that a $600 helmet is not twice as good as a $300 helmet, let alone three times as good as a $200 helmet. But I know that in this crowd that likes to throw money at stuff I'm in the majority.

As for the merits of the modular vs full-face, my experience is that the convenience is great, the current HJC is not obnoxiously heavy, the features are nice (although I find that the built-in sunshade is no substitute for proper sunglasses but is nice to use along with sunglasses when riding into the low sun), and as for noise, I'm not sure because I'm tall enough that my head is dirty air anyway.

Returning to the issue of finding a comfy fit, I do worry that I may at some point have to give up mo'orsickles because I won't be able to find a helmet that fits comfortably. And I probably won't live long-enough to see helmets custom-made from head-scans for any reasonable price.

I've always worn a full face with my present Arai Quantam-X the most comfortable helmet I've ever had due to its round interior shape. I am curious to try the C5 with the round liner set.

Neotech II

Put my Neotech II to the test in October. No broken jaw or missing teeth, no brain damage other than normal, LOL. 50mph over the car and landed on pavement.

Have the replacement helmet and it is the same. St.

I just purchased the HJC RPHA 70ST.
Only worn it for a quick trip but at just about 3 lbs my bad neck disc will like it. Extremely quiet.

On making things fit

"...Schuberths always gave me a red dot in the middle of my forehead until I would take a ball peen hammer to them and collapse the foam enough, usually no more than like an 1/8th of an inch, to relieve the pressure point. ..."

Well, that explains it. I was using the ball peen hammer on my forehead to make things fit. Didn't feel good at all.
:sick

My Wife and I both wear HJC modular Helmets. 9 years ago, we put them to the ultimate test. (not intentionally.) Both helmets were destroyed. We lived!

Back