• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Full face or Modular helmet ?

mosrrt

Time for a new helmet . Been riding for lots of years with full face helmets .
Is it time for a flip ?
Will road ride only . Stop dirt riding years ago .

So what do you use and why ?

Mike

Uh oh. The next oil thread.
I've been using modular for the last 5 years. First Gmax, then Shoei.
I would never go back. So much easier to put on or when you stop for a short break.
I'm willing to put up with almost no difference in safety for the convenience.

Flip-up. Schuberth C5, Previous C3. Both for daily and touring street days.
Also Shoei full face for previous track days.

+ 1 for Modular

AGV Carbon Sport Modular, dual Rated and super light and quite. Full face do not seal as well so more noise and less control over air exchange. Just try to take off a modular while closed to see how much better they seal up. The newer lighter ones are pretty close to a full face weight wise and with the convience of opening for full vision getting on and off bike along with being able to open while at stop light or moving slow in traffic made the decision a no brainer for me.

Uh oh. The next oil thread.
I've been using modular for the last 5 years. First Gmax, then Shoei.
I would never go back. So much easier to put on or when you stop for a short break.
I'm willing to put up with almost no difference in safety for the convenience.

Yup , but this should be fun …….

Modular for at least 30 years. Schuberth a couple of times, and a few Nolan, Scorpion, HJC, etc. I wear eye glasses and don't have to take them off and on to put on the helmet. The fewer fumble-fingered things I have to do in life the better I like it.

Been on modular for awhile, first BMW branded Schuberth and now Schuberth E1. Makes travelling so much easier being able to flip up your llid for whatever like eating or talking to people. I'm interested in trying the fit of other brands.

I have about 7 helmets that I rotate through depending on my mood! Wearing one all the time gets a little funky!!

I've used full face helmets for many years and swore I would never get a modular (perceived safety reduction, cost, looks, etc.). Then this year, I had to replace my helmet and decided to go with a Shoei RF-1400. It is a great helmet but has a narrow opening and caused a temporary ear (lobe) injury from taking it on and off. So, I returned it and went with the Shoei Neotec II helmet. It solved the ear pain problem and allowed my ear to heal. Furthermore, I found it was as quiet, if not more so, than the RF-1400. I love the internal flip-down sun visor, as well as the modular flip-up. It is very convenient at gas stops and in a multitude of other situations.

I'm sold on modulars now.

I have glasses and the modular helmets work best for me. Over the last 30 or so years I have had several. Shoei, Nolan, HJC, Schuberth, Venmar/sharki, and a BiLT that had Bluetooth communications built-in (not used very much).

The modular helmets seem to give rise to more turbulence outside the helmet than a smoother full face helmet and thus seem to be noisier. I wear earplugs when riding to help reduce hearing loss.

I've been wearing modular for 15 years now. I have Shoei & Schuberth helmets. I've gone down a few times with the Shoei once at 30 mph landed on left cheek and no problems with the helmet. That helmet had to be replaced but up held up perfectly. With the modular I can put it on with my glasses on, go through the drive thru lines, walk into stores without taking the helmet off & have conversations with others.

I got my first modular helmet last year. I'm an Arai guy (since 2001) because of a long oval shaped head and couldn't find a quality modular that fit until I tried on a Schubert C5. The helmet is quieter than any helmet I had before, and the quality is as good if not better than Arai. How it works in a get off I don't know but it sure seems solid! The down side to the C5 is its Bluetooth (SC2), although some upgrades have been done the volume isn't loud enough at speed. The SC2 sister unit is Sean 50R but its not up to date with the upgrades to the firmware.

I guess I’m the opposite. I used to be a modular guy, mainly the Shark EVO line. I started experiencing neck pain and gave a lightweight, carbon fiber full face a try and realized it was the weight of my modular causing me pain. I’ve been a full face guy for the past 4 years now (albeit carbon fiber and/or light weight).

I should probably mention that I commute daily by motorcycle, about an hour’s duration each way. YMMV

This belongs in the Gear forum - not Wetheads.

Sometimes the Moderator Team has a look at a thread and waits to see how the thread develops especially when a thread is started in an area of the forum that is very active.

OM

Back