• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When do you stop?

miairhead

I believe many of BMWMOA members are getting older, lot older. It seems you have to wonder when you will pass down your motorcycle to you children. This year my 90 year old uncle gave his car to his late wife's niece. Perhaps he could still drive some but he felt he would be best to stop driving (moving to the Park on Golf Mill in Chicago area).

I figure we all have to look at our abilities and evaluate when we should quit. I have a friend who got his MC license to ride with his farther-in-law. Signs of forgetfulness where becoming a issue with 'dad'. They would go out for short rides together (Dad owned 3 motorcycles, plus all kind of auto toys). It was going very well, until one Saturday. As the younger rider pulled out on a county road, for some reason the older rider did not. After a short distance the younger rider looked in his mirror, and saw dad pull out in front of a vehicle: why did he wait so long to follow? never know. Clearly dad should of stopped riding, but if you ever tried to stop an older person from doing something, you know it may make them try to prove your wrong. It was felt, but these short rides, dad could enjoy the ride and the family would stop worrying about dad's riding.

So what would make a decision to stop riding. Health of course is one, when you decide to stop riding. Like David Hough, I looked at the Can-am Spyder, not there yet but looks like a way to extend riding, not have to keep your two wheel friend balanced.

I hope to ride for many more years, but have watched at group rides people young and old who should stop. I avoid group rides with novices, I think some novices think that is the best way to learn to ride, they are wrong.

So what will make you stop riding?

Just turned 60.

They will have to pry the handle bars from my "COLD DEAD HANDS!"

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!

I recently sold my F800ST to a 76 year old gentleman with a triple digit MOA membership number. He and his wife were planning yet another season of two up riding. And two years ago I sold my Porsche race car to a 75 year old guy.

By the way there was a great interview on NPR this week with a 93 year old woman who just gave up driving because of an eye disease. Intellectually, she was sharp as a tack. What made it interesting is that she has driven the same car since 1964 - a Mercury Comet Caliente with 570k miles.

Party on!

0_21_rachel_450.jpg

Not likely to stop until medically not reasonable to ride and hope I recognize that before getting hurt.
I suspect for many, the simple act of getting on a tall bike and supporting it can provide most of the needed feedback. The actual riding is not very physical compared to the flex and muscle strength getting on/off, putting on centerstand, etc...I'm old enough to notice clearly that I'm not physically as sharp as 40 yrs ago but I ride as well though I've shaved a couple mph off blind corner speeds to allow for slower reaction time (but not off corners where visibility is good). Can still get a car around a track as fast as ever so basic hand/eye is still OK but I've lost some of the instinctive feel for bike tire traction that I had years ago so have to make up for it by visual/mental compensation. Interestingly, with cars I don't notice that and I think its because a track car is basically "worn" rather than "ridden"- there are so many body contact points with the car that there is much better feedback of what the chassis is doing.
I also ride a good deal and see my bike more as routine transportation than as a sunny day toy. I suspect dangers will be higher for the infrequent riders that make up the majority of bike owners, especially of the chromed bling brands that literally disappear in cold or wet weather.

Any chance that Merc was on Long Island? In 1964, a guy who lived there not too far from a girl I dated bought 10 of those Mercs (manual trannies IIRC) and stored them except for one daily driver- intending that they would be his lifetime supply. He thought cars were only going to go downhill from that point and at least for most of the 1970s and early 1980s he was right on target. That was the period that began the death knell of the American auto industry as Detroit completely failed to respond effectively to foreign competition, consumer interest and gov't mandates. The US auto industry made so many fundamental errors between the late 60s and finally going bust a few years ago that they created an unending series of business case studies for every B-school in the country.

I don't believe that real rider ever (formally) plans to stop, but the day will come for all of us, and we'll know when it arrives - planned or unplanned. :violin
Stay in shape and ride the bike that fits the best. Safe riding!

Good question , unfortunately I don't think there is a straight forward answer.

I will be 68 in August , stroke and heart attack survivor, wrestled with this decision already. Actually sold all my bikes , a trailer and gave away a bunch of gear. That lasted less than a month !

Took an MSF advanced rider course, passed with flying colors. Take some sort of professional training every couple of years now. I am convinced that riding helps keep me alert and in control, both on the bike and in the car.
I do notice that I tire a lot quicker now and need to stop more often.

One of the guy's I ride with is 76 , has had both hips replaced and rides 600 miles days all the time. He is sharp as a tack .

I read about a gent in the UK who at 96 still rides almost every day, does his weekly shopping by motorcycle. He is riding a lighter 250cc bike now.

All that said, it's a personal decision. Hopefully I will see when it's time to get off and hand in the keys before needing to be told I have to do it.

I'm 65. I actually feel sharper after a ride. I believe that riding makes me more alert. I know that won't last forever so I actually worry about riding "past my time." Knowing my wife, she will stop me before I start doing really stupid things.

I just had my second hip replacement two weeks ago and am 62 years old. I suspect that it will be July before I am back on my K1200LT and fully expect to do many more 500 mile days. I suspect that at some point I will downsize to a smaller bike for touring like a Honda Nt700v or similar and will stop riding when I feel that I am endangering either myself or others.

I'll be 50 next year...that's make's me a young'un in the MOA.
I've been on two wheels since I was 14.
5 yrs ago, my two wheel adventures were becoming shorter and shorter, what with having two young children. A sidecar (77 Honda GL/California) joined the family and a new passion was born. I shopped for it and then purchased it with all the enthousiasm of a sports car owner who is buying a mini-van because of family responsibilities. Now I wonder why I waited so long. I love it...just as importantly (maybe more) my wife and kids love it. 3yrs ago, I bought a K100 rig and I sold the tub off the GL, which is now my 2 wheel ride.
My wife'loves' riding in the tub as compared to 'tolerating' riding pillion. Her new found passion will help keep me 'in the wind' much longer.
Answer to the OP. I had never 'planned' on stopping riding, but now with 2 and 3 wheel options, I believe my riding future has been extended greatly.

There is a huge difference in reasons to stop, or change modes of riding.
Physical ability will determine what you are able to ride, 2 wheels or 3.
Variants of big bike, little bike , scooter, sidecar, trike, reverse trike.
This is something you will be aware of.
I recently hacked my RS to accommodate my wife, and I really like it. I also picked up a larger scooter for commuter duty, and it's a hoot. Actually more agile than the RS (solo) for my 38 mile trip.

Mental ability will be the call of your family. This is something you won't be aware of or be in denial. Went through this with my late father a few years ago. He was fine driving locally (5 mile radius from home), with Mom co-piloting. One day they decided to pick up my cousin at the airport. Roads had changed over the years since he had driven there and they got lost. Finally got turned around, were in the right lane that turned into a 2 lane exit, signaled left and moved across 3 lanes at 25 mph in a 45 zone. Got hit from behind, totaled their Volvo but fortunately were unhurt. That put an end to their driving.
The onset of dementia is hard to spot and harder to make them aware of. Anyone dealing with this should get a copy of "The Thirty-Six Hour Day".

How long will I ride? Dunno, but I hope to have the mental ability to make the right decision when the time comes.

Some good comments so far here that will be meaningless for those in the younger crowd-"until the age thing creeps up". I'm 68 & held off membership renewal for a bit while dealing with sciatica this past summer/fall. I also made myself forgo my Mexico winter fix trip based on caution , even after the pain was gone. Now I find myself having been quite active in ways far beyond the physical demands of bike riding and happy to carry on my senior years! Since winter broke(while keeping up my daily back regimen of stretches & exercises) I've collected rocks all over our land & built a set of 4 level rock terraces filled with soil,flowers,etc., this on the site of my mower flipping /flying leap that contributed to my back issues. I've also been busy with other various hard core back testing such as chainsaw work in the woods & so on. Things are looking up! Played 18 holes Friday too, then came home and worked outside a few hours. Back tight/arthritic hands stiff but I am sorta old after all.
I did a 140k RT on bike to doc the other day & a similar to the dentist too,riding isn't hard on me. Like said earlier, kicking my stubby legs over the saddle is harder than riding. I also hope I know when to stop some of this stuff but am very unlikely to sell out & move to town.
When I worked in a supermarket in early 60's we had this one customer that came once a week in his 1936 Ford sedan, was a faded, chalky blue with one of the early flat heads. The guy could barley walk in the store & I always tried to be the one to carry out his groceries so I could gawk at his car. At least he was getting out a bit & not dependent on others yet. I try to be patient with the geezers that are real slow on the road , thinking it will be me soon enough.
No 3 wheeled machines for me, but scoots,small bikes , or even the"scooter store" or hopefully plain old walking will be my last hurrah.

My plan (as it stands now at age 42) is to ride as long as I can get my leg over the saddle and safely hold up two wheels. When my knees or hips no longer allow me to do that, I'll move on to a Can Am or (gulp) a GW trike.

I hope that someone in my life that I trust will tell me when I'm no longer cognitively able to operate a motor vehicle, be it the 2, 3 or four wheel variety. Until then, I'm keeping my knees in the breeze (or comfortably tucked behind my RT's fairing).

When the time comes the time comes. But I also have a wife who says "When you can't hold us up anymore at a stop, it's time to buy a trike."

Boy howdy, have I been having this conversation with myself lately. I turn 60 in May - which ain't as old as 60 used to be. Couple that with a mother that recently moved into an independent living facility and a father-in-law who is in assisted living.

Now, I like to cook. Smoke ribs, tri-tip, chicken - make my own rubs and sauces and enjoy each with a select bottle of wine or nice ale or beer. Having partaken of the fare at each of the two facilities when those beloved are not - what's the word? - incarcerated - I think I'd prefer "going out" on the Beemer or the Guzzi as opposed to going out with a whimper.

Perhaps with what I think I know now, I may not know enough, but life without something significant to replace the spiritual and meta-physical aspects of two wheels on pavement seems like not too much of a life. When I mature, I figure I'll see this differently.

That said: My late father was a hiker. He roamed the forgotten trails of California's Coast Range with a man ten-or-more years his senior. On an occasion when he was about 72, shouldering his 60s era Kelty pack, beneath a cliff that soared about 150 feet above him, he turned to his buddy, Zibe (his real name), and said, "You know, if a rock tumbled off that ledge and struck me dead right now, I'd be okay with that."

Zibe (at 83) replied: "I'd rather get shot by a jealous husband." :)

True story.

I was thinking about this the other day....

I've been riding since i was eighteen... got the next bike when i was in the twenty's...

Now in the forties ... I can ride circles around my younger self...

I may not be stronger.. i am not.... may not be quicker.... i am not..

but i sure can out ride my younger self (and safer).... it is not even fair... both on road and off road...

I always have been a traveler... i guess when i can't do it this way i will have to find something new...

Pedro in OKC, OK....

When do I stop?

At the end of my ride. And I'm hoping the "end" of my ride is when I reach my end.
Riding since I was 14, now 54. In the past five years I have added dirt riding and ice racing to my mix of street/touring on my bikes. Maybe I'm not getting any faster, but at least I like to think I'm maintaining rather than regressing.

I'm actually at a point in my life where riding is becoming even more of a guiding factor in my life. I have made past decisions in my life, centered around how and where I want to ride. We all hear about how we should eat better, exercise more, drink less (hmm,...that'll be a tough one), stay active (riding more does that). But, for most anyone to do that they have to have some personal goal in mind, or a life changing event (loss of a loved one to illness, doctor saying "if you don't change XXXX you will shorten your life").

So my guiding factor toward better health is my desire to be able to ride well, well into my 70's and beyond. I recently read that Malcom Smith, one of the stars of "On Any Sunday" is STILL a very good off-road dirt rider, approaching his mid 70's! I would hate to loose the ability to swing a leg over any of the bikes I choose to ride because my girth/weight/lack of physical conditioning is the cause for me not riding anymore. I am changing habits, eating habits, exercise, to hopefully insure its not my body that keeps me from riding.

I'll turn 70 in August and hope to ride for many more years. My yearly m/c mileage runs between 12>15k miles and should rise after I retire on Dec 31, 2012. Like a previous poster I feel sharper/more alert after a ride. Be alert to potential problems while riding and stop often if the wish to"smell the roses" arises. Go ATGATT, ride within your capabilities, and enjoy life.

Back