• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The BEER thread

Well I lucked in and picked up the following beer book at a free drop-off & pick-up book booth along our walking path to the community mailbox.

The Comic Book Story Of BEER from the year 7000 BC to today - I'd love to see the record keeping back then. The artwork is impressive.

View attachment 93391

Michael Jackson's book is, IMHO, the ultimate guide to beer styles.

The variety of ways to make beer have always amazed me and when I first bought the book, I set about trying as many as I could find. The biggest thing I learned is that there is no "best" beer style and that constantly drinking only one style of beer is like only listening to one song.

I have friends that only drink hazy IPAs or just Bud or are similarly limited in their vision of the world of brewing. Too bad for them, I guess.

I think reading that book is what has formed my view of beer and ales: they're all different and they all have a time and place where they fit in best.

https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jacksons-Great-Beer-Guide/dp/0789451565 If one is interested. It really opened my eyes and influenced my brewing.

One of these days maybe we'll get together for a beer. you and I both like trying everything and anything methinks. I have a few of Michael Jackson's books. He laid the groundwork for the lexicon of beer styles that is the basis for what we use today. I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet the man but I did spend plenty of time at his table in a bar he used to hang out in in Antwerp.

One of these days maybe we'll get together for a beer. you and I both like trying everything and anything methinks. I have a few of Michael Jackson's books. He laid the groundwork for the lexicon of beer styles that is the basis for what we use today. I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet the man but I did spend plenty of time at his table in a bar he used to hang out in in Antwerp.

Well, I'm working to retire next April and I haven't been to the Maritimes in like forever, so you never know. :beer

Newfoundland is not part of the maritimes, we are the Atlantic provinces.

Another cellar beer. This 2012 is still amazing!
IMG_8970-XL.jpg

Thank you!

Does that translate to Little Death? :ha Thats French slang for “orgasm”.

Saw this recently...find your favorite beer in your favorite part of the country!
BeerSign.jpg

Gourmet Beer Stop

Sorry, can't remember where this was. They had that rarest of beers, Coors Light in screwtop metal bottle shaped cans, my fav... Upon reflection I think it was somewhere in Maine, on my way back to Asheville from a Nova Scotia round trip...

beerworld1.jpg

Apropos of nothing but a weight saving aside. I liked those bottle shaped cans with screw top because they wouldn't puncture my plastic sleeved flexible cooler. After a few years of carrying an extra 8-10lbs of cooler/ice/drinks I began a weight reducing period, and now skip the cooler most rides (dead of summer someplace hot I'll bring it), and instead have found a better weight saving solution, and more enjoyable than swallowing an Aleve at the end of the day:

crown_riverside.jpg

Michigan

Saw this recently...find your favorite beer in your favorite part of the country!
View attachment 93394

Just discovered this thread. A well-kept secret!

Disappointed to see the "beer map" showing Founders for Michigan. It's now owned by Mahou-San Miguel, the biggest brewing company in Spain (and Bell's is owned by Lion which is owned by Kirin). Every craft-brew pioneer has to retire sometime and congratulations to them!

So, if you ride through Michigan, and ever get out of Grand Rapids' brewing scene, head for Brighton, a small city north of Ann Arbor. Go to BREWERY BECKER for any of their "ancient beers" made using old Norse recipes and such-- stuff from before the common use of hops. Brewed and owned by Matt Becker. If you insist, you can also order a porter or an IPA. And enjoy the old restored railroad hotel that houses the taproom.

If I get to Michigan I'm going to Jolly Pumpkin!

Here is another lovely treat. This bottle sits on the bar at my favourite restaurant. It's pretty much just my bottle. Sadly our liquor store is not getting any this year. I'm working on getting one to add to my collection. I'm up to 7 vintages and don't want to miss one.
IMG_9065-XL.jpg

Rolling Oak Brewing Company.jpg

Grayling, Michigan has three stop lights and three brew pubs. My favorite is the Rolling Oak Brewing Company known by frequent flyers as the RO. They only serve what they make, no food but you can bring food in. They do have unlimited free popcorn. You won't see any TV's and the music will not be very loud, people talk to each other. An old concept. A couple of weeks ago a wedding was held for two members of a local run club just before that weeks outing. Tables were disassembled, chairs set up in rows making a small chapel. The newlyweds were toasted at the end of the ceremony. How many places mean enough to someone to get married there? The facility is dog friendly and when visiting the staff will fetch a water bowl for your best friend. They typically have 15 beers, a couple wines and soda pops on rotation.

https://www.rollingoakbrewing.com/

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Sadly it's at least a 20 minute drive to my closest new brewery and their beer is mediocre at best. 2 other breweries an hour drive away in opposite directions both with decent beer but my favourite has just been sold so we'll see what that turns into.

This one's the closest but the beer isn't great.
IMG_8562-XL.jpg

My buddy brews good beer here but he's just sold it.
IMG_9154-XL.jpg

Pretty decent beer south down the bay I live on, I hear they have a new brewmaster.
IMG_8972-XL.jpg

also when you are in Redmond, an hour and a half east is the thriving metropolis of Mitchell, home of Tiger town brewing. well worth a visit.:drink

Back