• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When do you stop?

I quit racing when It just wasn't fun anymore, but I got more enjoyment out of sharing my knowledge with others. I will probably give up the motorcycle when it just isn't fun anymore. There could be a lot of factors in this but that is just the sum of all, the Fun!

I am 61 and it is starting to occuply my thoughts once in awhile that it is selfish for me to keep riding. If I lived alone, I wouldn't think of giving up riding, I still enjoy it too much.
But my wife doesn't drive anymore and has a bad back.
My mother lives close by and is totally dependent on me for all her shopping and doctor appointments.
The two of them would be lost without me. As much as I don't want to, this will
most likely be my last year of riding.

Hey, I'm 65 and still ride daily, about 310 days a year. I have 90,000 miles since 6/1/07 my retirement date. Have ridden regular since 1990, and bicycles before then, so two wheels have been my life. I have a 2000 K1200RS abt 650 lbs, a Honda Hornet, about 440 lbs, and a HD Sportster about 500 lbs. When the BMW gets too heavy to handle, it'll go to a son, and I'll ride the other two. When they get too much, a trike will follow.:violin:laugh

Hmmm....

After 9 heart surgeries, this is a question I ponder now and then...

But OTOH, it's been almost 14 years since my last trip to the operating room, so guess I'll go on another ride tomorrow....! :whistle

Cheers! :dance

I'll stop riding for the same reason that over the years I have dropped other activities; a declining interest in a past time being replaced by a new one. However, being physically and mentally fit at 65 and based on my parents' genetics, riding into my 80s should be quite possible, although I suspect that might require a lighter machine. :bikes

Time will tell.

Back