• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What do you do with your garage door opener?

I simply velcroed my garage door remote to the cover, inside the glove compartment on the left side.

Garage Door Opener.jpg

Last edited:
Up until two months ago, I only had an '88 R100 RT to ride, and I put my remote in a side pocket of the tank bag. I now have a 2018 R1200 GS, and I just got a tank bag with side pockets for the remote. I don't like riding with the remote in a jacket pocket, and I find the side pocket of a tank bag convenient. Of course, this is personal preference, and others clearly have different preferences.

Ok , thanks for all the good ideas .
I have tried some of these options but itā€™s time for me to go better šŸ˜ . ( for me )

The under the left pocket lid looks good and I will try that .
Just need for spring to show up !
Mike

This looks cool but how do you wire it up ? ? And my remote is such that trying to run wires out of it would next to impossible to do .
Mike

It's not difficult to do if you have a meter and pencil type soldering iron. Open your remote and find out which poles are active with the meter when you push your remote button.
solder to them two wires and connect the other end to the plug. I put my remote in a plastic zipper bag to keep it dry and stuck it under the pushbutton panel.
Just watch out how much heat you put on the circuit board as you can mess things up in a hurry.
What made it very easy for me is my remote is about 30 years old and at that time the circuit boards had a lot of room on them. The newer remotes are very tight and heat misapplied can earn your remote a demotion to the garbage can.
Good luck !!

I duplicated Ikraus' idea and just finished installing a momentary switch.
I love this. (thanks Ikraus)
:thumb

https://www.digikey.com/en/products...u86t8sysUCpGrpoypv-xj6f7ZC9rhh5vDHNI3Bk-a6aK-

This solution is brilliant, great finish. I have mine velcroed under the left pocket lid, but when I'm maneuvering into the garage the bars can get mixed up, it's not ideal. Gear pocket not always great either as pockets are used for venting. This is the way to go, nice OEM look!

I place mine in the right side pocket of my riding jacket. It's always there...wear all the gear, all the time. I can activate it without taking off my glove, just press the pocket.

I have done the same for more than 30 years with no issue, but make one modification to make it easier to activate. Most buttons on a garage door opener are recessed, making it hard to hit the button through the jacket or the correct button when there's several of them.

I cut an appropriate length of plastic tubing - usually an old pen barrel - and tape it to the correct button. The garage opener goes into the pocket with pen towards my body. When I need to open the garage, I only have to push the entire opener gently into my chest and the pen barrel pushes the correct button. Easy-peasy.

Garage Door Opener.jpg

Back