• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

weight and balance: cargo trailer

not2brite

Just bought my first ever single axle cargo trailer (6x10) to carry one large motorcycle. Manual says put 60% of weight in front of axle; 40% behind. If I put the front wheel in the nose, the rear wheel ends up on or just behind the axle. Seems like I should set the chock back a foot or two to get more of the bike over the axle; otherwise I can't get 40% in the rear. Will put the rear of the bike near the ramp door. Or maybe on such a small trailer it doesn't matter with a 700 pound motorcycle? Any trailer experts out there?

I am not sure this is helpful since I am offering some alternate criteria: but you want at least 10% of the gross weight (trailer and cargo) on the hitch ball. Otherwise the risk is that the trailer will sway at speed. And a swaying trailer with a motorcycle atop is not a pleasant feeling or sight.

You might want to put the chock a bit back but unless your tounge weight exceeds the weight rating of your hitch I personally would leave well enough alone.

I have never hauled our bikes but I have a Aluma brand utility trailer.
The manual shows the tongue weight should be 6% to 10% of the trailer and load on the trailer.

A motorcycle catches a lot of wind. This can make the effective tongue weight vary. If it happens to shift aft, you get a speed sway, which as already stated is not a pleasant experience at all. Your hitch has a maximum weight rating, you want to not exceed that. Say that trailer weighs 1500 with the bike, I personally would like to see between 100 to 200 lbs on the hitch. Assuming you do not break something, more is always better. A bathroom scale can be used for the weighing of the hitch, as long as you block up the scale so the hitch is at the same level as when hitched up. If you have a very long tongue ( I am a fan of extending them, makes easy backing) then measure where the hitch originally was. This gives you safety margin for hills, wind and braking. The center of gravity must never go behind the axle or it will be bad. Even a mesh fold up ramp can shift things. Many people shift the weight to something they can easily pick up( another reason I like extended tongue). Often that is too little weight. Get a crank up wheel for the front. Save your back for riding!!!!

If you have a tandem axle trailer, you need more, the center must be in front of the front axle. I shoot for 20% of the gross weight. Added tongue weight is why a 5th wheel pulls so well.

Rod

I'm over 65 now, and those cross country trips on the bike are but a memory. Or maybe I'm smarter now?:banghead

I am not sure this is helpful since I am offering some alternate criteria: but you want at least 10% of the gross weight (trailer and cargo) on the hitch ball. Otherwise the risk is that the trailer will sway at speed. And a swaying trailer with a motorcycle atop is not a pleasant feeling or sight.

You might want to put the chock a bit back but unless your tounge weight exceeds the weight rating of your hitch I personally would leave well enough alone.
:thumb

I'm over 65 now, and those cross country trips on the bike are but a memory. Or maybe I'm smarter now?:banghead
Smarter, more comfortable, safer.......all kinda the same. I'm wid' ya.
OM

:thumb

Smarter, more comfortable, safer.......all kinda the same. I'm wid' ya.
OM

I have a 91 4 cy 5 speed dodge Dakota with a broken air conditioner and it it is STILL BETTER, er or so I have heard:dunno

At least the enclosed trailer hides the embarrassment when a group of beemers pass you, honk and wave.

Rod

It is safer,in this case, to have more weight on the hitch than behind the axle. Your Dakota has no problem 3,4 or maybe evan 500 lbs on the hitch.
So putting the bike full forward on the trailer is ok. A more lightly sprung car may be limited to 100 lbs of so on the hitch so that is more important to balance the trailer the 60/40 split.

I have a 91 4 cy 5 speed dodge Dakota with a broken air conditioner and it it is STILL BETTER, er or so I have heard:dunno

At least the enclosed trailer hides the embarrassment when a group of beemers pass you, honk and wave.

Rod

What embarrassment?
Sometimes I have to turn the wipers on. Where would I put the ATV....and the shower :wave
It's all good, whatever works for you....:wave :wave

OM

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 138
Tongue weight is your friend, up to the weight limit (not tow limit) of your hitch.
Here's a good demonstration of what comes from insufficient tongue weight:

10%-13% of gross trailer weight on tongue is a good rule, common in the RV industry.

Best,
DG

Back