• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Washing my baby...

kgaskins

Greetings...

I have a quick question. I've owned a K1200GT and a K1300GT and pretty much used off the shelf products (Turtlewax, I believe) to wash the bike. Since the engines were pretty much covered with the fairing, I didn't worry about it and it didn't seem to be a problem. Now, I have a R1250RT and with more of the engine exposed, I am rethinking what I should be using to wash the bike.

Can you folks recommend something that I canbuy at the local store or am I going to be relegated to the BMW dealer for this product?

Thanks,

Ken

I use either Meguiar's or Mother's or equivalent which ever is on sale at the local auto parts shop or Costco. The soap with wax in it is fine for the body work and wheels.
S-100 is used sparingly if the wheels are really dirty. Sparingly as you don't want that stuff to dry up on your bike... YMMV

I use a product called Simple Green Max that works quite well on hard gunk and is pretty easy on the environment and your body. My poor little 640 Adventure definitely needs some washing love.

Simple Green is detrimental to aluminum and banned from aircraft hangers at least that used to be. A friend of mine washed her GS wheels and they got stained pretty badly…

Simple Green is detrimental to aluminum and banned from aircraft hangers at least that used to be. A friend of mine washed her GS wheels and they got stained pretty badly…
The GS cast wheels are coated and I thought the rims on the spoke rims were steel.

Straight simple green (I don't know about the variants they now market) is hell on untreated aluminum. It will pit pretty quickly.

Straight simple green (I don't know about the variants they now market) is hell on untreated aluminum. It will pit pretty quickly.
Not only that, but even hard coat anodized parts can discolor. And mere surface finished anno gets eaten through.

Back