• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Rider's Manual - Is It Me?

I'm generally too impatient to spend an inordinate amount of time warming up. But I just can't believe that it's good to put a load on a cold engine. I used to fly a 1968 Beech A23-24 which was injected (IO-360). We'd never taxi without allowing it to warm up for at least a few minutes. I guess I'm old.

I'm generally too impatient to spend an inordinate amount of time warming up. But I just can't believe that it's good to put a load on a cold engine. I used to fly a 1968 Beech A23-24 which was injected (IO-360). We'd never taxi without allowing it to warm up for at least a few minutes. I guess I'm old.

I don't let the bike idle to warm up, but I take it easy for a few miles.
You'll notice the redline increases as the bike warms up.

The oilhead RTs also suffered lower fairing damage if left idling too long. Those headers get hot!

I've read (and believe) that the "real" reason BMW originally came out with that statement was because of the then-recent laws in Germany about emissions and noise.

The oilhead RTs also suffered lower fairing damage if left idling too long. Those headers get hot!

I've read (and believe) that the "real" reason BMW originally came out with that statement was because of the then-recent laws in Germany about emissions and noise.

Well, I really wanted a plug-in BMW; an E1250RS, I guess. But I had to settle for gas. So you could say that I'm a highfalutin pollutin'.

I get it. It's not good to allow any engine - air or water - to idle for an extended period of time. I have a 1999 Toyota 4-Runner that I purchased new. It's injected. I've always allowed it to drop its idle speed - about 30-45 seconds - before taking off. And I like the variable redline feature of the BMW. But no additional precaution about loading the engine immediately after starting?

Here's a story: When I was 15, I had a Yamaha DT125. It was a '74 model. That was the underpowered, heavy vintage with electric start. The bike was geared so low (and no transmission/starter mechanism to prevent it) that I could start it IN gear with the clutch disengaged. In other words, the electric starter would move the bike (with me on it) until the engine coughed to life. I guess BMW would frown upon that practice, huh?

I had to this exact thing with my '05 RT when the clutch slave failed on me. I have been shifting without a clutch forever and I was able to upshift and downshift just fine but the traffic lights were a real problem. Ultimately I would kill the bike, put it in first, wait for the lights to go green and start and go. We were probably 800km from home when it happened. Thankfully it was mostly slab to get home.

Paul,
Didn’t some of the bikes suffer damage from being left idling too long?

OM

Yes. DeVern pretty well covered it in Post #18. The case of the bike - garage - house burned down fire pretty well sealed the doom of the R1100RSL.

Back