• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Use the Navigator V My Motorcycle App on non-GS?

mohuck

Hello MOA Forum members. I'm new the the community, but have a few years of BMW motorcycle riding under my belt. Last year I traded my 09 F800ST for a new 15' RT. I purchased the Nav V at that time and a chief selling aspect was what I thought would be the ability to view realtime bike data and review ride statistics. These features where called out in sales material for the unit. However, to my surprise and disappointment, it seems these features are reserved only for GS Bikes. :banghead. I realize I can access much of the same data via digging down into the bike menu items through RT interface, but it would be nice just to be able to see them all on one screen at same time like the sales material suggest:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I know my Nav can do this, I used it on a GS for the day while my RT received its 6k service and I was able to access the "My Motorcycle" app. But when I took it off and re-docked into my RT cradle the app goes away. I wish there was a way to trick to Nav V into thinking its on a GS so I could use that function.

Anybody else find a work around?
:dunno

Hello MOA Forum members. I'm new the the community, but have a few years of BMW motorcycle riding under my belt. Last year I traded my 09 F800ST for a new 15' RT. I purchased the Nav V at that time and a chief selling aspect was what I thought would be the ability to view realtime bike data and review ride statistics. These features where called out in sales material for the unit. However, to my surprise and disappointment, it seems these features are reserved only for GS Bikes. :banghead. I realize I can access much of the same data via digging down into the bike menu items through RT interface, but it would be nice just to be able to see them all on one screen at same time like the sales material suggest:

View attachment 57790

View attachment 57791

I know my Nav can do this, I used it on a GS for the day while my RT received its 6k service and I was able to access the "My Motorcycle" app. But when I took it off and re-docked into my RT cradle the app goes away. I wish there was a way to trick to Nav V into thinking its on a GS so I could use that function.

Anybody else find a work around?
:dunno

Thanks for confirming that the GS functions are built-in to every Nav V. I too have an RT and feel a bit slighted in not having the same capabilities as the GS folks.

Possibly, there is some interface ID pin that tells the Nav V it is on an RT or a GS. More than that, the info has to come from the bike and whether the info is supplied by the RT computer in exactly the same way as per the GS is unknown by me.

If the pin were identified (assuming this is the mechanism BMW uses), and the data is supplied, it might be possible to fool the unit when mounted on an RT.

Very doubtful, IMHO.

Well I tried blocking each pin individually with small sliver of electrical tape. The My motorcycle app never appeared, but I think I've solved my issue with playing media files. If you block the third pin up from the bottom on the side without the power button you can use the Media Player app when the unit is in the bikes docking station. I have my iPhone 6 linked to the Nav V and my Sena SMH10R linked to the Nav as a phone. I like being able to use touchpad on the gps to select songs instead of the wonder wheel using usb. Completely ridiculous to have to go to such lengths to be able to actually use the apps loaded on the gps! I'm not giving up on that My Motorcycle app, there has to be a way to jailbreak this damn thing. :banghead

image.jpg

Is that on the bike or an app on the NAV V?
Can the dealer turn it on?

Computer Pro is a option on the bike.
I don't know if a dealer can install the option.

When we purchased our bikes I made sure On Board Computer Pro and Ride Modes Pro were on both bikes.

Computer Pro is a option on the bike.
I don't know if a dealer can install the option.

When we purchased our bikes I made sure On Board Computer Pro and Ride Modes Pro were on both bikes.

Thanks!
I'll check it out.
Might just be a software update.
I'd really like that feature on my K1600GT

The only thing I lost by covering that pin was immediate shut off of the unit when I powered off the bike. It did eventually turn off though after 1 minute. There was a 30 second delay between my turning off the bike power and the start of the units own 30 sec power down countdown. Worth it to me to be able to use the media player.

We can see this info on our 2016 R1200RS bikes.
You need the Computer Pro option to see the info on the NAV V.

Hi Lee, I do have Computer Pro on my RT - comes as standard. I can see all the basic bike information relating to economy, voltage, tire pressure etc. - but only on the RT's native display not the gps unit itself. Are you saying that when you have your Nav v docked with your RS that you can see the my motorcycle app in the app section and use the last ride feature as per my screen caps above? If this is the case then you and the GS folks have access to features RTs do not.

The R1200R LC has the My Motorcycle screen as well. It's where I usually leave mine, as it's only a Wonder Wheel push away from the map screen.

Are you saying that when you have your Nav v docked with your RS that you can see the my motorcycle app in the app section and use the last ride feature as per my screen caps above?

When the Nav is in the mount, I can see Motorcycle App. When I select Motorcycle App, I see three options.
Motorcycle Information
Status
Last Ride

I can see the Motorcycle Information values when the Nav is in the mount.
To see the values for Status and Last Ride the Nav has to be removed from the mount.

A lot of times if I'm not using the navigation screen I use Motorcycle Information and view 16 values on one screen.
You can pick on choose the values you want displayed.

Here are the 16 values I display while riding.
Deb_s_Nav_V.JPG

Last edited:
Lee you lucky duck! Could it be that the RS is more similar to GS in its computer/Nav integration than the RT? I sure wish the RT would do that. Here is the quote I received back from Garmin when I reached out to them for support:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to address your questions about the MyMotorcycle functions of the Nav V.

Unfortunately this information is delivered to the Nav V by the motorcycle on-board information management system. As the RT does not have this component to pass the information to the Nav V, there is no way to display the MyMotorcycle information. You will have to contact BMW for any kind of a change in the bike information management.

If you have further questions, please feel free to call us on our direct BMW/Garmin phone line, 1-866-455-7012."

I'll start the process of reaching out to BMW next.

Lee you lucky duck! Could it be that the RS is more similar to GS in its computer/Nav integration than the RT? I sure wish the RT would do that. .

That's too bad you can't see the My Motorcycle screen while riding, it's a handy feature. Even when I have the Navigation screen up all it takes is one push of the Wonder Wheel to see My Motorcycle.
A lot better than using the Info button on the bike. I think it takes 12 pushes of the button to cycle through the Info and then more pushes on the Trip button.

I'm glad the Nav V works so well because the dash on the RS is pretty crappy.

Back