• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'23 RT - Disable WiFi in the Connected app?

zend

I have a '23 RT. I have a mounted phone cradle and use various nav and comms apps. I'd like to be able to use the Motorrad Connect app in phone-only mode without the screen sharing stuff. I'd like to be able to occasionally use it for nav but I primarily want the ride tracking features which I'm coming to prefer over the alternatives like SWConnect and Rever.

Is there some way to fully disable the WiFi connection between the phone and TFT so that it doesn't even try to establish it? What I'm finding is that it really, really wants to connect over WiFi and do screen sharing. It attempts the connection and I have to either join or cancel. This is on an iPhone - I tried removing the app's "Local Network" connection but that just caused it to spin trying to create the connection.

When I do allow it to connect, and I "Exit Map Mode" on the phone, I'm left with an annoying and distracting flashing screen sharing symbol on the TFT.

I've got a buddy who uses the app with a GS with his phone in a cradle. I basically just want what he's got.

Any chance of this?

Thanks!

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I just can't help but posting about the irony of this situation, ever since BMW has released the connected app there've been a litany of complaints of the software NOT connecting, now you come down the pike and DON'T want it to connect, I'd love to see the face of the BMW applications engineer when he reads this. I find a twisted humor in that.

Seriously, I hope someone here can answer your question, good luck.

Are you not able to tell the iPhone to "Forget" the TFT? And also never connect to the TFT? Is there not a SSID password that you can remove from the iPhone related to the SSID?

...there've been a litany of complaints of the software NOT connecting, now you come down the pike and DON'T want it to connect, I'd love to see the face of the BMW applications engineer when he reads this. I find a twisted humor in that.

I do want it to connect. I just don't want it to do the screen sharing thing. Frankly, the wireless charging setup in the dash pocket is unreliable and finicky. I've bounced around, over the years, between different phone mounting strategies and am currently using a wireless charging RAM mount. I like having a cradled phone. I also want some of the functionality that they built into the Connected app. If I were the BMW engineer you refer to, I'd appreciate the user feedback. I'd be interested in how people actually want to use the app.

I'm not new to this - this is my 3rd RT, and have had a few other BMWs as well, including a GS with a TFT. I mostly appreciate the direction they've gone with all of this. It's great if there are riders who want to always turn on their bike, wait for the connection, switch to the Connected app, initiate screen sharing, stick the phone in the dash. Go ahead and support those folks.

But I just want to plop my phone into my existing cradle, have the app connect for tracking, and go. Connected is, by far, the best ride tracking solution around. Better than SWConnect, better than Rever. Love the auto pausing, detection of new rides, export to GPX. I want that without the screen sharing complexity.

Not trying to start anything here, and I don't think you were, either. If BMW folks do look at this stuff, I at least want them to hear my use case.

Are you not able to tell the iPhone to "Forget" the TFT? And also never connect to the TFT? Is there not a SSID password that you can remove from the iPhone related to the SSID?

This is an interesting suggestion and have gotten pointed me in a direction I can live with.

I definitely can forget the WiFi connection. The result of that is that the app just wants to create it again the next time it's launched when the bike is connected via Bluetooth. That's not good.

But what I hadn't though to do was to go into the WiFi connection and disable Auto Join. The connection is still there, it just doesn't connect automatically. This seems to work sort of like what I'd hope. The flashing screen sharing icon doesn't show up on the bike dash, which is very good. If I run the Connected app when the Bluetooth connection is active, the app wants to connect, but I can just cancel that. There's a spinning indicator showing that it's trying to connect but I don't really care about that since it doesn't seem to impact any functionality and it's only visible when the Connected app is running.

This seems like it might be good enough. Going to try it over the next few rides and see how it goes.

Thanks for the idea!

Just turn off WiFi on your phone. It would let your phone connect with Bluetooth and record data or let you see arrows for directions.
But it shouldn't try to connect with WiFi, and then enable the map view.
You can also turn of Map view in the navigation settings menu.

I've got a buddy who uses the app with a GS with his phone in a cradle. I basically just want what he's got.

Any chance of this?

Thanks!

You should buy what he's got then. What am I missing here?

Back