• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 RT Nav 5 Music Files

bjt422

Frustration is really setting in with my inability to properly set up the Nav 5 to play music files while the device is in the cradle on the bike. I can turn on the Nav 5 when it is not in the cradle and sync it with my iPhone and Sena headset. The Nav 5 will display the media files, I can play the music and navigate through the playlists. I can make phone calls using the Nav 5 and basically everything works as it is supposed to. I shut everything down, put the Nav 5 in the cradle and establish all the Bluetooth connections. Everything works fine, except the media files will not appear and I get an error code, “use the motorcycle radio to play music.” Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any guidance would be appreciated. Sorry to start a new thread on a topic that has probably been addressed many times.

I have all my music on a memory stick, plugged into the USB port in the RH pocket. Everything works perfect and plays through my SLR sena. I can scroll through different files to choose the different genre fitting my mood. This is on my 18 RT.
Edit: I should add, my phone calls and navigation come through my Nav VI to my SLR also via Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Using a Nav VI on my 18 RT. I bought my Nav used and the seller included a data card with his music on it. I lpay through both my Sena 50s and SRL2 but obviously can’t control through the bike. I duplicated the card for a Garmin Zumo 395 on my R9T so should work on your Garmin too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frustration is really setting in with my inability to properly set up the Nav 5 to play music files while the device is in the cradle on the bike. I can turn on the Nav 5 when it is not in the cradle and sync it with my iPhone and Sena headset. The Nav 5 will display the media files, I can play the music and navigate through the playlists. I can make phone calls using the Nav 5 and basically everything works as it is supposed to. I shut everything down, put the Nav 5 in the cradle and establish all the Bluetooth connections. Everything works fine, except the media files will not appear and I get an error code, “use the motorcycle radio to play music.” Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any guidance would be appreciated. Sorry to start a new thread on a topic that has probably been addressed many times.

I think this is normal operation for a BMW Navigator V. BMW established specifications for Garmin and this was one of them. I guess they figured the audio system made music on the GPS redundant.

If you insulate pins 5 and 6 (HSRX & HSTX) of the mount with a bit of tape, there will be no CANBUS connection, the GPS will not "see" the bike, and your phone, GPS, and Sena will operate the same way they do off the bike. Obviously, this will also cut off any bike-to-GPS communication, so there will be no low fuel warnings, engine stats, etc. on the GPS.

660 pinout.png

Issue Resolved

Oh Sweet Jesus! Thanks lkraus for the guidance. I will nominate you for sainthood. Issue resolved. I now have all my music loaded onto a mini-SD disk in the Nav V. Finally, I have media, phone, and GPS consolidated. I have my Sena headset linked appropriately and all systems are working. How nice to use the music files on the Garmin to manage their use. I don’t know how much time I devoted to the bluetooth protocols. I was convinced I had set the devices up as recommended, but could not figure out why the music files would not display on the Nav V. Thank you for saving my sanity. Much appreciated!

Back