• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Media Player App on Nav V

bobs_one

So, I've had my Nav V for 7 years and it's worked great. Until recently, it has just been used on my 2014 RT which is equipped with a radio and so I haven't used the Media Player app.

I now have added a 2017 GSA to the "stable" and decided to use the Media Player in place of a radio. My first issue was that when I created an MP3 directory on the external memory (SD card) I have in the Nav V, and loaded some MP3 files on to it, the Media Player would give me an error saying that no MP3's were found. I've got past that issue by creating an MP3 folder in the internal memory and loading ONE MP3 file into it and having the balance of the MP3 files on the external memory card. The Media Player app now starts with that ONE MP3 file, but when I browse files in the Media Player, I see all of the files in both MP3 directories and can play them all.

I have tried now removing the MP3 file on the internal memory, or just having it empty, but it only works when there is an MP3 folder on the Internal Memory with at least one song file in the folder. The manual clearly says that you can have the MP3 folder on either the internal or external memory ...

Is this expected/normal?

Next issue, which I have not found a work around for yet, is that the "two MP3 Folder" setup works fine until I shut down the bike. After the bike has been shut down, when I next restart motorcycle and the Media Player App if I press the Browse button the whole Nav V crashes and will restart/reboot. It will then work fine again until the next time I shut down and restart the motorcycle. Is this a known bug?

I have also noticed a bunch of strange behaviors when I move the Nav V between the two bikes - settings (like "Auto" in the Brightness setting) getting cleared, etc., but I can live with those.

The Nav V has been fully updated from Garmin Express - is ther an update for the Media Player or something I am doing wrong?

:banghead

So, I've had my Nav V for 7 years and it's worked great. Until recently, it has just been used on my 2014 RT which is equipped with a radio and so I haven't used the Media Player app.

I now have added a 2017 GSA to the "stable" and decided to use the Media Player in place of a radio. My first issue was that when I created an MP3 directory on the external memory (SD card) I have in the Nav V, and loaded some MP3 files on to it, the Media Player would give me an error saying that no MP3's were found. I've got past that issue by creating an MP3 folder in the internal memory and loading ONE MP3 file into it and having the balance of the MP3 files on the external memory card. The Media Player app now starts with that ONE MP3 file, but when I browse files in the Media Player, I see all of the files in both MP3 directories and can play them all.

I have tried now removing the MP3 file on the internal memory, or just having it empty, but it only works when there is an MP3 folder on the Internal Memory with at least one song file in the folder. The manual clearly says that you can have the MP3 folder on either the internal or external memory ....

Is this expected/normal?

I set my Nav V up a long time ago, so to refresh my memory, I just plugged it into my laptop (Mac) to see how the storage is configured.

There are two volumes, both are formatted as FAT32. The internal storage is named "GARMIN". The external 64 GB flash card is named "BMW NAVIGAT". It currently has about 10 GB of music on it. There is a directory (folder) named "MP3" on the external flash. Inside the MP3 folder, my music is organized into directories by artist name, then album name, then song, with numbers at the beginning of each song (e.g., "01 song name"). The external volume also has a file named "Id.txt" that contains some kind of ID string, and a "Garmin" directory containing three files: "gmapprom.gma", "gmapprom.unl", and "gmappupdate.gsd". I don't know if those files are required, or are leftovers from earlier attempts to install maps, etc. This setup works for me, as I'm able to browse my music in the Media Player app.

There is no "MP3" folder on the internal drive. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken. My setup is pretty much the same - but I have to have an MP3 folder on the internal memory in addition to the the MP3 folder on the external memory, or the Media Player gives me an error message saying that I need to put my songs into the MP3 folder (even though I have). And, even more problematic is the fact that it always crashes the NAV V the second time I try to run the media player (after restarting the motorcycle).

It works well enough for me to play music, but it is annoying to have the unit reboot every second time.

Bob,

I've had to keep one MP3 file on my internal drive (Nav V) and the remainder MP3 files on my SD card in order for music to player from my Nav V media player.
By file, I mean place one MP3 song on your internal drive. My Nav V wouldn't recognize MP3's on my SD card until I did this.

MY old Sena SMH10 and Nav V would occasionally drop the Bluetooth connectivity which was frustrating .

Try doing a factory and/or hard reset of the Nav V and see if this fixes your issue.

My Nav V is 7 years old and has begun to occasionally freeze while navigating a route.
Nav V's have been more reliable than the Nav VI's

Andy

So, Garmin support suggested I get a different SD card and format it and try again. Exactly the same outcome. I have tried a hard reset and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Maybe, now that I've given them feedback on their first suggestion, Garmin support will come up with something. But it is annoying.

Thanks Ken. My setup is pretty much the same - but I have to have an MP3 folder on the internal memory in addition to the the MP3 folder on the external memory, or the Media Player gives me an error message saying that I need to put my songs into the MP3 folder (even though I have). And, even more problematic is the fact that it always crashes the NAV V the second time I try to run the media player (after restarting the motorcycle).

It works well enough for me to play music, but it is annoying to have the unit reboot every second time.

Is your GPS software/firmware up to date? Here is some of the version info from mine:

Hardware Version: V6 SA3 8GB 128MB MO PR BN
Software Version: 3.50
BMW Motorrad: 10.00
GPS Firmware: 3.05.14

Ken

Back