• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

turn signal

galaxie

Need help turn signals work fine key on start bike at idle still work give it a little gas will blink very fast on not at all, forgot 1986 R80RT 52000 miles

I am not an electrical genius by any stretch of the imagination, but you might try removing your turn signal relay (it's under the tank) and clean the plug spades and the connector.

Use some dielectric grease when you plug it back in.

Ian

connections

I have problems on and off with my RT, the bulb connections or socket gets a minor bit of gunk and will do the same thing. So before you spend the money on a new relay, check the simple stuff first, the sockets, bulbs, connectors. Sane goes for the plug on the flasher unit which unlike my bike is located I believe under the gas tank. If none of that works and no changes have been made to the original wiring, you might need a flasher relay. St.

Typically, fast flash turn signal lights is when one of the bulbs fails. Or it is making the relay think that it failed. Best to use the proper European bulbs, and check each socket to make sure that contact through the central positive connector is making good solid contact.

Sorry Mike, "proper European" has nothing to do with it - as long as the bulb is rated as 21 watts, it should be fine.

Galaxie - Does it happen to both sides or just one side? One side indicates the anomaly is contained to that branch of the circuit, while both sides means it's more general, like the relay, a corroded connection, or a bad ground.
"Give it a little gas..." - a vibration issue? regulator causing a voltage change?

Back