• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'72 R75/5 turn signals stopped working after drop

ARMYMUTT

Seems that my bike dropped into 1st after I started it at the gas station. It fired up and as I was doing my last minute things, shot forward and over we went. It wasn't a hard landing though. Anyway, I noticed that the turn signals stopped working. The light on the nacelle wasn't flashing, but the charge indicator light lit up. When I turned off the signal switch, it went out. Back on when I turned on the switch. Nothing from the actual signals or the nacelle light. Not sure where to start on this one.

On the bike lurching, I wonder if possibly your starter engage...Snowbum mentions the /5 starter lockout relay here:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/slash5cricket.htm

Or maybe your clutch needs some adjustment?

Failed electronics are frustrating for me. Don't see how the minor tip over would have created these problems. Probably will have to start with a circuit diagram and begin checking out each circuit.

The clutch might need adjusting too. I've noticed that the bike likes to move out of 3rd gear quite frequently. There is plenty of play at the lever, so it's not a matter of tightness. It seems to be shifting into a false neutral between 3rd and 4th. There's also a bit of chatter when I shift it from 2nd to 3rd. I typically pull in the lever, lift up on the shifter, hold it, release the lever, then drop my toe. This tends to give me more ride time until the false neutral vs releasing the lever and dropping my toe at the same time.

I don't know that the tip over had anything to do with the electrical issue, but it definitely happened at the same time. I'll have to pull up the circuit diagram. The Snowbum article mentions a potential link between the starter relay, gen lamp, and turn signals, but on the surface, my situation isn't matching what I would expect from a blown fuse. Going to have to pull out the voltmeter and go to work.

Dont know how hard you banged the bike when it fell/dropped but something tells me that a circuit or bulb was knocked loose and that is what is causeing the problem for you. A ground on oone of the turn signals??? Even a fuse knocked a bit out of alignment can easily cause a circuit not to work....Just thoughts...Good luck

Apparently I hit it hard enough to kill the fuse. It looks intact, but the ohm meter doesn't lie. I started tracing wires, looking for loose ones, swapped bulbs around to known good sockets, etc. Decided to test the fuse before disassembling things too much and it was dead. The neutral switch is also integrated in the same circuit. Now I have all the lights on the motometer working! Next up is tracking down the leak at the driveshaft boot. It's not bad - class I in military parlance. Probably can wait until I move back home and can dedicate several consecutive nights to it. Trying to remember where I am on something with several weeks in between is getting harder as I get older.

Back