• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1976 R75/6 Turn Signals

cseltz

I haven't run this bike more than around the neighborhood for a year or so. Today I went for a ride and the turn signals are acting up. Once the bike is warmed up for a while, they seem to work okay but when I first started up, the left signal seemed to flash with the engine pulses for a bit, then normal then back to rapid. It seems worse at low RPM. At first the right turn signal was not affected but after a cool down and restart, they are both doing it. Front and back are flashing together in both cases. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would check the bulbs and look for corrosion. Also find the grounds and be sure they're clean/bright.

My /6 fails to flash if I haven't ridden in a while then seems work normally after a few miles. I make a point of exercising the turn signals regularly now.

Check Snowbum's website. He has a discussion about the turn signal relay, and mentions the inexpensive auto parts retailer relays that will substitute into there. You will lose the monitor of burned out bulbs. I replaced my turn signal relay in my /6 years ago. The replacement works flawlessly.

Thanks for the suggestions. With the motor off, the turn signals work perfectly. I’m wondering if the vibration is jostling a contract somewhere. I’ll start cleaning connections and will post any progress.

I personally like having a little mystery about where I'm going. My direction is on a strictly 'need to know' basis. :nyah

Would a tired relay function perfectly with the engine off and then get squirrelly when the engine was running?

Opened up the headlight shell, unplugged and replugged the turn signal flasher. That seems to have taken care of it. I guess a slightly loose connection that “bounced” with the engine vibration.

Back