• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Turn signal bulb help

mike54rt

Hi, all-I’m trying to upgrade my turn signals and stop/tail light to LEDs, but unlike every other 1157-type bulb I’ve ever seen, the original equipment bulb has its contacts at 8 and 4 o’clock, instead of the usual 9 and three. The LEDs of course will not fit, and I’m having a devil of a time reinstalling the original. Bike in a 2012 RT with 56k miles. Everything was working perfectly before I started this.

Thanks very much in advance!

It may not be an 1157. I don't know much about the newer RT's, but I know my R1100RT didn't actually use SAE code bulbs from the factory and I've had to cross-reference equivalents.

I've used the vehicle bulb finder at superbrightleds.com with good success. They have an 1157 LED with contacts that look like they would be compatible with 9/3, 8/4, or 10/2 socket contact arrangements.
1157-x27-t-back1.png

Yeah, this has come up before (tho my Search didn't find the threads)...
The old-style "normal" bulb base (with the pins directly opposite each other) is/was a Type BA9S.
The offset pins are Type BAU15S; I have to think that this was invented because many people were "persuading" their bulbs to fit in "backwards" with respect to orientation, causing a swap of the brake & tail filaments. (I see this a LOT around L.A., grrr....)

You can either use a bulb that has the correct base compatible to your socket, or change the socket to match the bulb (easy to determine which is easier and cheaper!).

The LED pictured above doesn't solve it; I looked at SuperBriteLeds' website and their base definitions are NOT as clear as they should be... caution... call or email them to resolve...

THAT'S a good picture (on the Dynamic site)! :thumb
View attachment 92692

A totally unnecessary technology fix to bewilder and confound stupid people, or so it would seem. Just why pins 180 degrees apart and at different depths has failed to work after more than 50 years in use totally escapes me. It looks like a case of buy my stuff or else!!

A totally unnecessary technology fix to bewilder and confound stupid people, or so it would seem. Just why pins 180 degrees apart and at different depths has failed to work after more than 50 years in use totally escapes me. It looks like a case of buy my stuff or else!!

Kind of a sad commentary on the way things seem to be today I think.

Or- it’s a European kinda deal. Working on an older Range Rover I had to replace some fuses. The fuses sorta looked like a tiny “dug out” Indian canoe held together with tin-foil.
Not at all like the fuses on “this side of the pond”.
OM

As stated above... I have to think that this was invented because many people were "persuading" their bulbs to fit in "backwards" with respect to orientation, causing a swap of the brake & tail filaments.
or maybe just more nannycratomania...

Hi, all-I’m trying to upgrade my turn signals and stop/tail light to LEDs, but unlike every other 1157-type bulb I’ve ever seen, the original equipment bulb has its contacts at 8 and 4 o’clock, instead of the usual 9 and three. The LEDs of course will not fit, and I’m having a devil of a time reinstalling the original. Bike in a 2012 RT with 56k miles. Everything was working perfectly before I started this.

Thanks very much in advance!

1157 is NOT a part number applicable to any German vehicle.

Bulbs for German vehicles are described by wattage and you require either P21W or PY21W, the latter being orange, the former clear. Germans assure you never substitute these for each other by building different pin spacing.

The P21Ws on my '84 R100RS were the originals when I sold it in 2010. Something like that will never happen with dime store stuff like 1157.

Back