• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Toys from the past...They wouldn't let you have now :eek

Back in the 1950's, we played army, wearing US Army WWII helmet liners and shooting each other with BB guns. Surprisingly, no eyes were lost.

Doug

Back in the 1950's, we played army, wearing US Army WWII helmet liners and shooting each other with BB guns. Surprisingly, no eyes were lost.

Doug
We did that in the 80s too, but we wore thick shirts or jackets, sunglasses and added a "one pump only" rule for safety. If you got a real stinger then you knew somebody was using more than the regulation number of pumps.

We used to use slingshots, wrist rockets, and we made ammo by cooking up dough balls. We were at least smart enough to wear safety glasses. :ha

When I lived in skibum69’s part of the world as a kid we would have shingle wars. There was a large supply of old, broken asphalt shingles in the neighborhood. Why they were there I do not know. We would throw them like frisbees at each other. I hit my older brother in the forehead with a shingle and it made a 4 inch gash. His school pictures were taken the next day, so to this day I have a trophy showing my excellent marksman.

We would have duels using roman candles on 4th of July.

What could go wrong?
In British Columbia where I grew up, we did the same with fireworks and firecrackers around Halloween. We used them for other purposes for which they were probably not intended.

Bottle rockets fired from empty Coke bottles, preferably 16oz size, and lit from a punk that was stored between teeth while charging the weapon. And similar rules as 98Lee; 20-30 yards distance and stand your ground. Not the smartest thing I’ve ever done…

And an M80 tossed under an upturned 30gal metal garbage can, pressed lightly into damp soil to seal, would put the can about 20ft in the air and cleanly remove the bottom. I don’t know if they can legally sell M80s anymore…

best,
DeVern

1-1/2" firecracker under a VW half-moon hub cab would launch the cap a respectable few feet off the ground. We tried with an M80 and it blew a hole through the hub cap. Nobody lost an eye or any other body part.

I've lost several shirts to "Bottle Rocket Wars" in my day...

Thank you, everyone, for bringing up so many fond memories!! (y)

Bottle rockets fired from empty Coke bottles, preferably 16oz size, and lit from a punk that was stored between teeth while charging the weapon. And similar rules as 98Lee; 20-30 yards distance and stand your ground. Not the smartest thing I’ve ever done…

And an M80 tossed under an upturned 30gal metal garbage can, pressed lightly into damp soil to seal, would put the can about 20ft in the air and cleanly remove the bottom. I don’t know if they can legally sell M80s anymore…

best,
DeVern
M80s have been illegal for years.
Basically a 1/4 stick of dynamite, weren't they?

Are those three toy stores on Interstate 25, just north of the Colorado/Wyoming border, still there?

Back