• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Touring the Alps

STOKES73

Much to my amazement my wife has agreed to spend our 30th anniversary touring the Alps. So, I've started researching what is available. I figured there has to be someone on the forum who has done this so I'm looking for any advice you care to offer. So far I've looked at Edelweiss and Alpine Tours.

Specifically she wants to ride from Austria into Northern Italy (she's of Italian heritage and a big wine lover).

Thanks

the guy in Heidelberg

There is a guy there that rents BMW's and others. He has been at a few of the Rallys. Sorry I can't remember his name. Start saving your money now!!

Watch out, It was my wife that suggested we go for our 20th, that was 10 years ago, since that time I have done 5 tours with Beach's Motorcycle Adventures, some solo time and a two week trip with our 3 boy's who also ride. It is the BEST addiction a motorcyclist can have. It was going to be the trip of a lifetime, but turned into a lifetime trip.

If you are going on an organized tour look at Beach's motorcycle adventures.
First they are the Oldest tour operator in the Alps.
Second they are an American company.
Third they are 2 week tours, and one thing is for sure, no matter what you decide on, you'll have the ride of your life.
Fourth, I have meet several people on Beach tours that had done Edelweiss, and ALL have said that the Beach tours were superior for many reasons.
Fifth, 6 days riding in the Alps is NOT enough, you will kick yourself in the a$$ for not staying longer, I promise!

The "guy in Heidelberg" is Stefan Knopf, www.knopftours.com , better known for independent rentals than for tours.

On this MOA webpage,

http://www.bmwmoa.org/ridetour/global_touring/in_europe/euro_tour_operators,

is a "complete" list/ links to Euro tour operators, including but not limited to the Alps.

Among those on the list that include Austria + northern Italy are
Admo, Beach's, Bosenberg, Edelweiss, Moto Adventures, Moto-Charlie, Motobike-Tours.ch, Muenchner Freiheit.

Current economic conditions mean you need to double-check any tour operator's website.
You'll also need to match whatever's offered to your anniversary schedule, preferred itinerary & length of tour, & budget.

Many folks arrange/ do their own independent rental, accomodations & itinerary, with rentals from many sources in Austria, Germany, Switzerland & Italy.
The MOA Euro rental webpage
http://www.bmwmoa.org/ridetour/global_touring/in_europe/euro_rentals
is currently 'unpopulated' because of an IT glitch, but if you PM or email me, I'll be happy to forward that list (too long to post directly on the Forum).

Happy Anniversary ;)

I figured there has to be someone on the forum who has done this so I'm looking for any advice you care to offer.

Yup, for the last 15 years in a row.

Since this will be 30th anniversary, I would assume you'd want to spend your time on your own, doing your own thing and at your own pace.

In that case I'd suggest a self-guided tour (I would suggest that in any case). As an added bonus, it'll run you half the cost, if that, and you'll see and experience so much more.

If that interests you, try my Alps How-To link below and also visit AlpineRoads.com

GR does have some good resources and it is cheaper to do it yourself, but having done it both ways, there are a lot of benefits to an organized tour, but you do pay for them.

GR mentions time on your own, and that is one of the issues with most tour companies, they require you to ride in a group and discourage doing your own thing.
If you want the best of both worlds go with Beach's. They let you ride with a guide, ride solo, hook up with other like minded/skilled riders, split from a group, as YOU please. The only rule is if you are going to be late to supper @7:30 or 8:00, just call and let them know you are O.K., but just having too much fun to stop for food.

But you get the Luxury of having bikes ready and prepared, transportation to and from the airport, first class hotels, luggage van, great route suggestions, maps, availability of a GPS with routes suggestions preprogrammed etc at your disposal. Their philosophy is it is YOUR vacation, so you do what you want, they offer the options to make it what you want it to be.

Like most riders I too am independent, but the added value of not having to plan everything, then spend every night going over maps and plans for the next day, actually gives you more time to spend with your bride. And with Beach, if you find a beautiful view in some isolated location and just want to sit for a couple of hours admiring the world, you can...and if you happen to have a blanket in the saddle bag, you can pretend your newlyweds again:dance

There are a lot of benefits to an organized tour, but you do pay for them.

Keep in mind though that saving money if going self-guided is only the tip of the iceberg.

Just as there are benefits (to some) on going on an organized tour, there are at least equally as many benefits to going self guided.

I'd put it this way...if you prefer to ride solo at home, you'll prefer to ride solo in the Alps (or anywhere)...for the same reasons. If riding is a social event to you, then go organized...and bring money.

Much Thanks

Hey Guys Thanks

Great information. I knew you'd come through. I especially appreciate the solo vs tour information. I'm basically a solo rider. I'm leaving July 1 for a 20 day, 6,000 mile ride.

If we decide on a tour sounds like Beaches is the way to go.

Paul

Hey Guys Thanks

Great information. I knew you'd come through. I especially appreciate the solo vs tour information. I'm basically a solo rider. I'm leaving July 1 for a 20 day, 6,000 mile ride.

If we decide on a tour sounds like Beaches is the way to go.

Paul

Alex & pffog both make good points.

I'll suggest a slight modification: yes, Beach's is AN excellent choice, but not necessarily "the" way to go, depending on your circumstances.
Most tour operators, at least in the Western Euro Alps, allow or encourage customers to ride "solo" all day long--if that's what you want to do.

What sets Beach's (or any organized tour) apart is also the personalities & experience of the on-road/site guides. Rob Beach (with help) guides all the Alps tours personally, and does it very well; in that sense, Beach's is a more intimate/ 'family-run' company. But many other companies also have excellent & personable guides.

It's easy to turn our personal experience + preference into "best."

Enjoy your ride, however you do it.

It's easy to turn our personal experience + preference into "best."

Don't I know it, Court.

I once had a riot with a rider on another forum who happened to just have gone on a Beach's tour (it really doesn't matter which company).

He said that there was absolutely no way I could have found the roads he was taken on by his Beach tour guide.

Of course being ''guided'' he couldn't really tell me what roads he had taken. All he remembered was that he was east of Cortina d'Ampezzo, was taken up this narrow winding road that took him through three very old stone tunnels before coming out on top of a ski hill. From there he was ''guided'' into Slovenia (Predil and Vrsic passes most likely) before arriving in Villach, Austria.

So I had the great pleasure of sending him some pics of those three old stone tunnels that head up to the ski hill atop Monte Zoncolan. That road runs between the towns of Ovaro and Sutrio (no map needed to come up with that info). :laugh

He admitted defeat and confirmed the pics. God I love it when these tour participants tell me self-guided tours could never be as good as theirs. If they only knew what they are missing...riding-wise.

Rob, I'm taking an early retirement in a two years...do you need a tour guide who knows the really out of the way back roads? ;)

Don't I know it, Court.

I once had a riot with a rider on another forum who happened to just have gone on a Beach's tour (it really doesn't matter which company).

He said that there was absolutely no way I could have found the roads he was taken on by his Beach tour guide.

Of course being ''guided'' he couldn't really tell me what roads he had taken. All he remembered was that he was east of Cortina d'Ampezzo, was taken up this narrow winding road that took him through three very old stone tunnels before coming out on top of a ski hill. From there he was ''guided'' into Slovenia (Predil and Vrsic passes most likely) before arriving in Villach, Austria.

So I had the great pleasure of sending him some pics of those three old stone tunnels that head up to the ski hill atop Monte Zoncolan. That road runs between the towns of Ovaro and Sutrio (no map needed to come up with that info). :laugh

He admitted defeat and confirmed the pics. God I love it when these tour participants tell me self-guided tours could never be as good as theirs. If they only knew what they are missing...riding-wise.

Rob, I'm taking an early retirement in a two years...do you need a tour guide who knows the really out of the way back roads? ;)

Alex,
You might--or not--be surprised how well Rob knows the really out-of-the-way back roads; and can load them to a Beach customer's GPS for solo riding.

Of course, it's always a tradeoff between 'DIY/self-discovery' and 'convenience.'

It would be great--and a bit ironic--for you to guide for a tour company ;)

Heal well

It would be great--and a bit ironic--for you to guide for a tour company ;)

:ha

wait 'till he finds out how much they pay.

alex will finally learn the meaning of *really* cheap!

==========

true story: i met werner wachter of edelweiss at the 1996 moa national. he tried to recruit me as a tour guide. oh man, was it ever tempting... *until* i heard the compensation package. dream job, nightmare pay.

Hi,

I lived in Switzerland from 05-08 and rode my R1100RT pretty much all over, solo and unguided. If you click on my name and hit "threads started by" you can see quite a few road reports from the old world. I would NOT lock myself into a tour simply because you are then obligated to follow a compass direction which terminates at a hotel reservation. Believe me, every direction from central europe is worth checking out, although Northern Italy is high on my personal list. If the weather is good, that would be where I'd go. Especially the area around northern Tuscany, Alba, and the Maritime alps.

If the weather is bad, and it can be, it will not be fun for your pillion.

Two places I've had visiting friends rent from are:

Intermoto in Lausanne, CH

http://www.inter-motos.ch/Presentation/

Although the website is in French, you can send a request for pricing etc. in English and you will get a reply. You may ask if Jurg Ambuhl is still working there. He is very knowledgeable in routing and was a great asset to me in the past.

The other place a friend rented was MotoMader near Zurich

http://www.moto-mader.ch/frameset_main.htm

Two things you shouldn't worry about. Language barriers and hotel reservations ( mainly because the World Cup is in South Africa next summer :blah. )

PM me with any questions you may have regarding roads/routes/clothing/gear etc. One last thing. I would rent the bike you are most comfortable/familiar with. You will have enough on your mind with road signs, roundabouts, and spectacular scenery so you don't need to be fiddling with turn signal cancel buttons, high beam switches, horns, seating posture, etc.

good luck, best regards

Paul Franze

Hey Terrance, thanks for the bump :thumb

Alex,
You might--or not--be surprised how well Rob knows the really out-of-the-way back roads.

Court, the point of my story was... tour guides don't alwys know the best roads and most often don't take you on them...that after having loaded the GPS tracks of a rider who went on a well known organized tour and who sent me the his tracks.

So for those few that tell me (as the rider did in my above thread) there is no way I could ride all the best roads without a tour guide...frankly, they are full of you know what, but then having spent what they've spent, obviously, it had to have been the best ride. :rolleyes

:ha

wait 'till he finds out how much they pay.

alex will finally learn the meaning of *really* cheap!

==========

true story: i met werner wachter of edelweiss at the 1996 moa national. he tried to recruit me as a tour guide. oh man, was it ever tempting... *until* i heard the compensation package. dream job, nightmare pay.

Who cares what the pay is. Its having to lead riders who can't ride that would be the nightmare. Try being a flight instructor; then you'll know the true meaning of low pay.

But here is a good one...if the pay is soooooo low, how come they charge so much for their tours. :scratch

Stokes73,

I had the opportunity to do this in 2002, and planned my own trip using John Hermann's Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Corsica. This is an excellent book, in which Hermann discusses the roads, the towns, and places of interest, all from the POV of the motorcycle rider.

I read the book, and noted what roads I wanted to experience. Then I surrounded myself with maps, and created a route encompassing most of the roads I wanted. It was an excellent trip.

Even if you do take a tour, Hermann's book is an excellent introduction and introduction to the experience. I recommend it.

Back