• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Touring the Alps

I had the opportunity to do this in 2002, and planned my own trip using John Hermann's Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Corsica.

I have John's first two versions of his book.

As far as being in the English language, they are pretty well all that are available. Having done quite a bit of riding here through, I've noticed the book leaves out a lot (all) of the out of the way back roads.

The following books may all be in German, but the info as far as maps/routes/pics is first rate providing complete coverage of Alpine roads for the ultra enthusiastic Alps rider. All are tank bag sized and available from Amazon.de...

51xgFCS8EQL._SS500_.jpg
51wFgbjTPzL._SS500_.jpg
51552N7A4CL._SS500_.jpg

oooh... i like the pics on the cover of this one! :nod

I have the older version (looks the same) where both east and west Alps were combined.

In fact, I have it with me. It makes great reference material on the flight both ways and during the tour...not that I had a chance to use it much this time. :cry

alps

i've been 15 or so times over the last 10 years always solo more or less. i met some guys here in 99 and they hooked me up a little. then i networked it and have traveled in small and medium groups as well as alone ever since. some 50,000 miles from norway to corsica, ukraina to ireland.

jmho i think you'll do better by yourself. get ahold of knopf in heidelberg and see what he has by way of rental bikes. he'll get you from the airport in frankfurt put you up for a night in the b&b to un jet lag and get you a tour of the castle as well.

get a good quality map set from michelin or the adac for austria as well as northern italy. plan on two days down from heidelberg to the heart of the dolomitti. I like to stay in a small village called canazei as there are lots of loops and passes that can be done from there.

see http://www.italiantourism.com/alps.html

also get a copy of john hermans book, travels through the alps and corsica

get a good quality map set from michelin or the adac for austria as well as northern italy.

With a scale no worse than 1:250 000 and I even prefer 1:200 000.

For Austria, the Freytag & Berndt maps are hard to beat and just happen to come in a nice map set with a scale of 1:200 000.

The ADAC (the US equivalent of the AAA) have maps with motorcycle tour suggestions. These can also be downloaded. See the 2nd thread in the Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right thread in my sig line.

Back