• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tires for RT

Rich,
I'm running the ME-880 Bias ply tires on my '96 R1100RT. I had to install a 17" rear wheel. I REALLY like the mileage and the handling is good in wet or dry.
The ride is a little harsher than the radials but the load rating is one of the reasons I switched. The last Michelin Mac 90 I tried was paper thin in less than 4,500 miles. Ive run the original Bridgestone BT56's and liked them a lot but they were discontinued at some time in the past and I started trying other brands.
None perform as well as the ME-880's for my riding. I can still drag the footpegs (feelers are long gone) with these tires.
120X70X17 and 160X70X17 38,42 psi.

Z6 Ok

I have almost 9k on my Z6s and they still look good for another thousand miles or so. They seem to have a lot more grip than the Z4s that I had previously and surprizingly lasted longer too. I was expecting only 6k to 7k based on the comments that I read a year ago.

I plan to replace my Z6s with another set.

I ran two sets of Z6s on my RT - aggressive riding - each set lasted about 8K miles and could have gone 1-2 K more. Inflated at 40/42 pretty religiously, 1up or 2up

I found them to have excellent grip - rode them in mostly dry conditions.

Any one tried Conti Road Attack??

Has any one tried the Conti Road attack, I've read about them in the magazines, but haven't read anything about anyone here.
Newly developed High-Impact 0?? Steel Belt tire giving the performance of a sports tire and the mileage of a touring tire. Exceptional grip in both wet & dry conditions for sporty year-round touring riders. Innovative tire construction for a very high level of comfort and safety. Precise handling under all conditions due to the MCD (Multi Curvature Design) of the tire

I know they don't make them for my 1100RT, but I found them for my 1150RT, and was thinking of giving them a try. I normally use the Metzler 880s and have had great milage, when I don't pick a nail or screw:banghead

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=RoadAtt

I had already paid for a set of the metzlers when I noticed that they carried the Road Attack as well.:deal They were about the same price for the set maybe a little less.

My mileage with the last set of Z6 Roadtecs on an RT is:

Front tire mileage 17,844

Rear tire mileage 16,048

I run them about 40psi +/- 2psi. Mostly commuting miles, but some canyons and at least one long trip. No problems with grip or cupping. I don't understand why the variation in tire life mileage as reported in this thread . . . perhaps rider weight (I'm about 160lbs) . . . . or riding agressiveness . . . road conditions (concrete freeways here in So Cal) . . . . any other factors?

I do tend to pick up debris and usually end up installing a tube at some point in the life of the tire . . . but I'll stick with Z6s.

I'm running Z6's on a 2000 RT also. After 5,500 miles they still look brand new. Initially, I followed the dealer recommendation of 40/42 psi but I wasn't happy with the squared off "shoulder" that was forming on both front and rear. After talking with friends who normally do track days running around 30 psi, I decided to compromise and run 32/36 psi front/rear. The squared off shoulder has worn into a nice round profile and the lower pressure really make these tires hold the corners with confidence. I didn't dare lean her over too far previously because the Z6's felt unpredictable, but now at lower pressure I scrubbed the "chicken strips" right off by the end of the 2nd ride!! I'm looking towards the Pirelli Diablo Corsa for my next replacement because the RT will see more track time this year. I rarely tour with this bike because I work and can't take that kind of time off. That being said, I value traction more than tread life so I view ultra-sticky rubber as the cost of entry to a higher level of enjoyment from this bike. The bike will become perfection when I get the Ohlins installed. If anyone is having tire cupping issues, be very suspicious of your spongy stock suspension. After 40K, you're riding on pure mush and you can't dial it out any more.

on my 2nd set of z6's. run pressure at 42/42...get 9-11,000 miles.

Z6's

I have a 05 RT with 8500 miles. I have the stock Z6's and they stick great on the road. The tires look good and do not know when I will change them. At this point it has to be Z6's.
CW

Avon Storm?

Did they replace the Azero's?
A friend just ordered a new set of Avon's and he said they had replaced
the Azero's with a newer model.

I am extremely pleased with the Azero's as far as handling and lack of cupping go,
but with 4k on tires I am reading 1/8" front and 3/16" rear tread.

Doubt they will go as long as the 880's but are much nicer to ride on.

My last set of 880's started cupping and growling in curves at 5k.
My riding partner who is in the wind blast wearing a HJC Symax asked what that
roaring sound and vibration was at the 5k mark.

I run 38-40# front and 42-44# rear.

R1150RT

Yes. The Azaro has been replaced by the storm. The company blurb says it has the same longevity which is very good, slightly better handling and much better wet and dry traction. The tread pattern is also redesigned. Because it came out in the winter there doesn't seem to be much experience with it.

Not tired of tires

I'm a new BMW owner and just rode my '04 R1150RS home on 13 Jan. and the Z6 set on the machine functioned just fine @+7 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course I was compensating for all the sanding done here in Minnesota in the winter, and for the fact that this is the first "sport bike" that I been on since I totaled my 850 Norton Commando in 1976 .

I would like to hear some feedback on the Conti Roadattack!!

Did they replace the Azero's?
A friend just ordered a new set of Avon's and he said they had replaced
the Azero's with a newer model.

New tyres are the 55 / 56 instead of the 45 / 46... from what I read on the Avon website they will be awesome tyres. I have been running the 45 / 46 combo for roughly 3k and am very impressed... I am a slightly agressive rider and have had no issues with them... I am hoping for many more miles since the OEM tyres came off at 4500.

:thumb

tire R1200RT

I have a R1200Rt. First set went 5000 mi. Second set of Dunlops went 7000 mi. Then I bought a set of Tomahawks for $145 total plus $16 for shipping. Got 20000 mi from front and 12000 mi from back Great tire, great price.

I have a R1200Rt. First set went 5000 mi. Second set of Dunlops went 7000 mi. Then I bought a set of Tomahawks for $145 total plus $16 for shipping. Got 20000 mi from front and 12000 mi from back Great tire, great price.

I'd be worried about any radial front that went 20K miles. That's some hard rubber.

my buddy runs 880s on his RT. he's pushed them to 20,000 miles (not entirely by choice), and runs them very hard in the corners. his dealer also told him that it was not a correct tire for his bike :dunno
as far as the RoadAttacks- love 'em on my R11S. about equally favorite to Pirelli's DiabloStrada. both get around 7-8,000 miles, stick very well, good dry or wet, coinfidence inspiring even at "brisk" speeds.

Avon Storms ST

Just recieved mine from www.swmoto.com ($239 delivered) and will be mounting tommorow. Hoping to ride down to SC in March if the weather dosen't get too funky in PA or VA. If everything goes well, I'll post back in a couple weeks with my road report.:groovy

I had the same problem with the Z06 and after 4k miles they were shot. My problem was with the shocks. I got the shocks dialed in and I get over 10k miles.

Back