• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Michelin Road 5 tires

dbgtut7685

I'm a bit embarrassed to show how bad I let these get, but I was on a 3d trip about 1000 miles and thought when I set out that I'll need tires when I get back. Anyway, it's kind of interesting how these road 5 tires wore out. They have only 5100 miles on them, sure doesn't seem like that's so good. I really liked the grip of these tires when they still had life in them. For what it's worth, I ride a 2017 R1200RT, mostly twisty mountain roads in east TN and NC. I'm no roadracer but I like to ride at a fairly aggressive sporting pace, often with stuff in the luggage but no passengers. I'm wondering what others are getting out of these tires? I see on some websites people claiming over 10k miles, others say they're worn out at 5k; probably depending a lot on bike size, hp, riding style? It seems that the way these are made with the softer rubber on the sides makes for some unusual wear patterns, although these may be so worn out that it's hard to tell. Also the wear looks like I corner more hard on curves to the left than to the right.
Sorry, it seems the photos are sideways and I don't know how to rotate them after uploading.

Attachments

• IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 390
Welcome to the forum!
The pictures seem to load sideways unless the iPhone picture is taken with the phone held horizontal- lens upper left.
Can’t help with the tire question :wave
Gary

Road 5, not the GT. Maybe the GT would last longer, but compromise stickiness?

The GT has the same rubber compounds, just a stiffer sidewall. Less heat buildup, so less wear. I tried the Road 5 on my 1100RT with similar results, but I gave up on the tire somewhere in the 4K miles area so didn’t see the cords. That was before the 5GT was out. Switched back to the 4GT and haven’t been disappointed since. But, I ride NC curves too and I get my 4GT to around 6k miles and it’s down to the wear bars and done. I have some friends that get 10k or more from tires but they ride much differently than I do,

I'm a bit embarrassed to show how bad I let these get, but I was on a 3d trip about 1000 miles and thought when I set out that I'll need tires when I get back. Anyway, it's kind of interesting how these road 5 tires wore out. They have only 5100 miles on them, sure doesn't seem like that's so good. I really liked the grip of these tires when they still had life in them. For what it's worth, I ride a 2017 R1200RT, mostly twisty mountain roads in east TN and NC. I'm no roadracer but I like to ride at a fairly aggressive sporting pace, often with stuff in the luggage but no passengers. I'm wondering what others are getting out of these tires? I see on some websites people claiming over 10k miles, others say they're worn out at 5k; probably depending a lot on bike size, hp, riding style? It seems that the way these are made with the softer rubber on the sides makes for some unusual wear patterns, although these may be so worn out that it's hard to tell. Also the wear looks like I corner more hard on curves to the left than to the right.
Sorry, it seems the photos are sideways and I don't know how to rotate them after uploading.

I've noticed advanced wear issues when the tires are not set at the correct pressure. What pressure do you run?

E.

Last edited:
Dang. Guess i'm happy with my Road 4's for the time being. Got a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's to go on as soon as i can convince my Road 4's to wear out. 9,000 and still going.

I had the non-GT Road5s on my RT. They seemed to hold the road OK and were fine in the rain, but they made a howl which I found unpleasant. I switched to Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs and really liked them. My rear tire found a nail somewhere, so the rear RoadSmart III was replaced with a RoadSmart IV under the BMW MOA Platinum Roadside membership. RSiV seems even better than the RSIII.

Replaced my PR4GT’s with Road5 GT’s last month and couldn’t be happier. The PR4’s were great, bringing me from California to Maryland over six days in July. They were a bit feathered when I arrived (maybe even when I started out?), but i don’t know how many miles they had by the time that I changed them out; I put 7k miles on the tires after buying the ‘14 RT earlier this year with 14k miles. (Tire mfr date suggests that they were the second set on the bike.) Twisties are like riding on air, they’re very neutral and responsive. (Forgive my lay language.) Last week on a group ride in northern VA, I rolled into a 90 a bit tight and encountered an SUV; it was amazing how the bike stood up for the avoidance then turned back into the turn. Total mind control. I ride mainly (as I was on this day) in Dynamic with a normal suspension. Damn I love this bike!

Are you bragging or complaining? These tires are beyond worn out. On my second set of Road 5s plus a 3rd rear due to a nasty screw i picked up. I get about 8k miles and get to the wear bars and a few hundred miles beyond before changing. The soft sides of the dual compound do wear faster (duh!).

Watch you tire pressures

Enjoy the twisties.

tire pressure

These were run using typically 33-34psi front, 36-38psi rear. Interesting, I like to watch the tire pressure on the display panel and you can watch the pressures change a few psi with changes in heat and altitude (or maybe the altitude had more to do with temps).
Actually I thought the tires were great and had good grip and I'm buying them again. Just a bit surprised by how quickly they wore out but honestly did not know how much to expect. I used to get a lot more mileage out of other tires that I ran on my ST1100, but I don't recall exactly what I was using.
Not exactly complaining and I guess I don't know what there is to brag about, it was pretty dumb to let them get so bad. Lack of planning.

These were run using typically 33-34psi front, 36-38psi rear. Interesting, I like to watch the tire pressure on the display panel and you can watch the pressures change a few psi with changes in heat and altitude (or maybe the altitude had more to do with temps).
Actually I thought the tires were great and had good grip and I'm buying them again. Just a bit surprised by how quickly they wore out but honestly did not know how much to expect. I used to get a lot more mileage out of other tires that I ran on my ST1100, but I don't recall exactly what I was using.
Not exactly complaining and I guess I don't know what there is to brag about, it was pretty dumb to let them get so bad. Lack of planning.

That’s not enough pressure on a PR4 or Road 5, which explains why the tires look as if they’ve been run low. I had a discussion with a Michelin rep at one of the rallies, and while he could not officially say anything counter to BMW’s recommended pressures it was made clear that rears in those series started performing well at 42, fronts at 38, slightly higher for high speeds and/or hard usage. I run the 4s and 5s on the K1300GT—hard—and normally get over 8k out of a set.

Best,
DeVern

I ran my 4GT’s at 40 front (reduced cupping) and 42 rear and got 10K with lots of 2 up touring. I am trying the same on the 5GT’s I got recently but too soon to tell.

I have Road 5 GT's on my K1300GT with 38/42 pressure. Tires have about 6K miles on them and I notice a loud humming sound from the front tire on some road surfaces. Never had this happen with Road 4 GT's.

Tire pressure

As others have said, these pressures are too low. 36F, 40R will net you much better mileage with no reduction in street performance.

Good feedback, I’ll run the next set higher and report back next summer and we’ll see if they last better. Hey that’s why I posted this!

Grabbing big handfuls of throttle on corner exit? If you're rolling a big Kbike, that just shreds tires.

Nice job wearing out the sides before the middle. :D :thumb

Back