• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The slippery oil question

Oil; the saga continues

Just my FWIW; Have been into synthetics for cars and bikes since 1978. No problems save for having to buy a new sight glass when I switched some of my BMWs from Dino to Synthetic due to fogging. That having been said, 1 bike ago I was pretty broke and bought an old shop loaner from my dealer. When I asked what oil, I was told 20-50 non-synthetic BMW. When I sold the bike, it had about 90k and still was clean inside as well as oil tight and not using any oil between 5K changes. Now riding an 09 RT. Was the standard oil Dino or Synthetic?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

3hawks

Now riding an 09 RT. Was the standard oil Dino or Synthetic?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

3hawks

The manual for your 2009 calls for 20W-50 dino oil but the current BMW recommendation for that engine is 15W-50 synthetic. Your engine will live a long and happy life on either.

I had a 2007 RT and 20W50 worked fine in that all year round. I think it had 65K miles when I crashed it. Got a 2012 RT and continued using 20W50 Mobil 1 and had problems starting in cold weather. Switched to 10W40 Mobil 1 and no more problems. I am at over 60K miles and it uses very little oil between changes, like 100ML. Hoping it stays like that!

The manual for your 2009 calls for 20W-50 dino oil but the current BMW recommendation for that engine is 15W-50 synthetic. Your engine will live a long and happy life on either.

The current vendor - Shell - has this busisness deal with BMW and they built an oil to BMW specs. So BMW "updated" or altered the "recommendation" but not the spec to recommend the new favorite oil. Either is fine. When Castrol sponsored the racing team then a Castrol oil was the "recommendation". Look at the spec, not the recommendation, is my advice. It's bidness you know.

First, understand motor oil.

the "W" number only applies to viscosity at cold start ... it does NOT effect how the oil performs at normal (high) temperature.

That is, day in and day out, there is ZERO difference between 10W-50, 15W-50, 20W-50. At normal operating temperature they are all the same, i.e. 50. 50 is 50 is 50

Seems a little unlikely to me that very many are concerned with starting their motorcycle in super cold weather. If you are, go for the lower W number. Otherwise, it's meaningless.

Finally, if you are concerned AT ALL about temperature--either hot or cold--you should be using full synthetic motor oil. Every day and in every way it outperforms conventional dino oil with respect to temperature.

Back