• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The slippery oil question

srweaver1969

After a long time with my 2005 R1200ST i just got my dream bike 2012 R1200RT! In the past I have always used 20W50 full synthetic oil in my ST but the previous owner of my new bike swears by the 15W50 BMW blend. The bike has 14K on it and I personally see no wrong with using the 20W50. Any opinions or advice out there?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! Do you have an owner's manual? I suspect it will have the specs in it. I'm sure the dealer can get you one...maybe someone will drop into the forum with the info from the manual.

I just looked up the manual on the BMW Motorrad USA website. Here's a screenshot of the oil specs page from the manual for the RTs after August 2011:

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 1.05.04 PM.png

Does anyone use 20W50?

Actually, if you hang out long enough on the Forum, you'll find someone using everything from 20W50 to whale oil, and anything in between.

Now, while BMW's 'endorsement' of Castrol might smack of some commercial collusion, the actual weights recommended in the Owner's Manual come from engineers a tad smarter than any of us are, when that engine was developed.

I used Amsoil Syn in my R1200RT and was pleased - no issues. But - at a recommended weight.

When in doubt, follow the Owner's Manual, ride, and enjoy. :thumb

I hesitate to post in an oil thread but the last edition of the owners manual for the Camhead RT (2010-2013) dated 2013 updated the oil recommendation to

BMW Motorrad High Performance Oil SAE 15W-50, API SJ / JASO MA2 with no other recommended viscosities.

That being said, I have used Mobil 1 15w-50 with good results. Easily available and priced right in 5 quart bottles.

I hesitate to post in an oil thread but the last edition of the owners manual for the Camhead RT (2010-2013) dated 2013 updated the oil recommendation to

BMW Motorrad High Performance Oil SAE 15W-50, API SJ / JASO MA2 with no other recommended viscosities.

That is the oil spec given in the May 2015 RepROM for all Oilhead, Hexhead, and Camhead engines.

The Wethead recommendation is BMW Motorrad High Performance Oil SAE 5W-40, API SJ / JASO MA2.

With good results, I have been using (all full synthetic) 10W-40 late fall to early spring and 20W-50 the rest of the year. No starting issues in winter in unheated shed down to about 20F in the morning.

Actually, if you hang out long enough on the Forum, you'll find someone using everything from 20W50 to whale oil, and anything in between.

I agree and will prove him right. :)

I'm now using Motul 10W60 full synthetic ester oil in my 07 and very happy with the results.

My bike used to take about 1L of oil / 8000km with 15W50. Now it's down to 500ml/ 10,000km

YMMV

Now I have a dilemma. Yesterday, I was gifted a 2017 R1200GSA by my best friend. It fits in nicely with my ongoing plan to move to smaller bikes. But the problem is do I read and heed the oil specifications in the owner's manual, or just follow the sage advice found in oil threads?

Now I have a dilemma. Yesterday, I was gifted a 2017 R1200GSA by my best friend. It fits in nicely with my ongoing plan to move to smaller bikes. But the problem is do I read and heed the oil specifications in the owner's manual, or just follow the sage advice found in oil threads?

Follow the spec. For years the correct answer was, and always was, 20w50 API SG or SH. Not true anymore. Get the manual, follow the manual.

Last edited:

Wow a new bike! Maybe she prefers the BMW over the Yamaha!

Back