• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The New BMW G 310 GS Thread~

The GS does not have provisions for bags. Either use the top case or soft bags.
Not what I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This 'little' bike will be a big seller for BMW and I can't wait to see the GS version or better yet and Adventure model with bigger gas tank and spoked wheels.
The luggage situation is perfect as soft bags is what you want for the off-road crowd at least. I'm sure that the aftermarket will also come up with hard bags.
Haven't ridden one yet as our weather has been horrible lately but I will soon :dance

My wife is supremely disappointed at the seat height (32.6 inches). Why on earth does BMW insist on making a (small) bike that 90% of women cannot ride?

My wife is supremely disappointed at the seat height (32.6 inches). Why on earth does BMW insist on making a (small) bike that 90% of women cannot ride?

Maybe you can swap the suspension with a 310R bike owner that wants a taller ride?

They seem to be getting better on paying attention to saddle height. A recent newsletter from the Mother Ship had more detail on saddle height for the various models than I recall before.

Another issue is not wanting to give you decent capacity fuel tank on the bigger GS models unless they make it a really big deal. Having a 300 mile range should be an available option without buying into an adventure package. Not having to be a gas station maven on a trip should be reasonable option for a rider of this brand.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

It's not just BMW. At the AIMExpo in Columbus a few weeks ago. I saw lots of folks trying many manufacturers' bikes on for size, shaking their heads and walking away disappointed. Low seat height probably explains the popularity of cruiser style bikes - it may not be the style that attracts, it's just that a cruiser is the only bike that fits. I don't recall seat height being such an issue on the "standard" bikes of the '70s.

It's not just BMW. At the AIMExpo in Columbus a few weeks ago. I saw lots of folks trying many manufacturers' bikes on for size, shaking their heads and walking away disappointed. Low seat height probably explains the popularity of cruiser style bikes - it may not be the style that attracts, it's just that a cruiser is the only bike that fits. I don't recall seat height being such an issue on the "standard" bikes of the '70s.

The high seat height from BMW on this particular bike is very puzzling to me since it is a bike that is meant to compete on other continents than it's traditional focus of Europe and North America where formerly folks pontificated that the design target was a tall, slim, European body type. I have travelled a bit and find Europeans and North Americans tend to be much taller and larger in general than those in Asia, India, Malaysia, etc. Just who are these bikes for? Once again missing women in North America? Cruisers are so limiting for anyone wanting to do some more adventurous riding. When one is looking for a small displacement, general purpose all road adventure bike one must at least be able to mount it and be able to touch one foot to the ground. Certainly an expert rider may not have qualms but in my book BMW missed the point for the woman in my life.

Edit:

Seat Height from BMWMotorrad.ca

Standard 835 millimetres = 32.874 inches
Low 820 millimetres = 32.283 inches
Comfort 850 millimetres = 33.465 inches

Last edited:
Voni,

I hope your happy with the GS when you finally get it.
My turn off was no bags mount. I saw this bike as my last one. I still expect to travel. I have no interest in soft bags and a trunk.
My 650 GS has a Bill Meyer seat and Jessie bags. That’s why I’m keeping my 650,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I would be okay with soft bags and perhaps a small (soft) trunk/bag to keep the weight down. Seat height still a big issue for us (inseam challenge) since I would only get this bike for myself if I could also get one for my wife - this type of riding is something we would (mostly) do together.

Update today from Engle Motors. Expected delivery date is now January . . .

Waiting is so very hard!!

Voni
sMiling

Rally Raid Loves it!

"“But being 30kg lighter than the CB500, the single-cylinder G310GS looked great, and BMW is doing a great job of promoting it. It’s also something that I think will appeal to a large audience, without distracting people who are interested in the CB500."

"“The finished kit will fit the G310R, but most people will be buying it for the GS. It’ll have the tubed or tubeless spoked wheels [essential for off-road work as they can flex when hitting a rock or tree stump, rather than crack like an alloy], uprated fork internals and a new rear shock for more ride height (but only if the customer wants it), new billet triple-clamp for adjustability and the option of fat bars, beefier foot-pegs, soft luggage rack and a rear rack. But it’ll cost under £2000 – it has to on a machine like this.

“Next year, I’ll take our BMW G310GS to the APC rally in Australia and prove just how capable it can be…”"

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...raid-cb500x-adventure-uk-africa-twin-g-310-gs

Rally Raid Loves it!

"“But being 30kg lighter than the CB500, the single-cylinder G310GS looked great, and BMW is doing a great job of promoting it. It’s also something that I think will appeal to a large audience, without distracting people who are interested in the CB500."

"“The finished kit will fit the G310R, but most people will be buying it for the GS. It’ll have the tubed or tubeless spoked wheels [essential for off-road work as they can flex when hitting a rock or tree stump, rather than crack like an alloy], uprated fork internals and a new rear shock for more ride height (but only if the customer wants it), new billet triple-clamp for adjustability and the option of fat bars, beefier foot-pegs, soft luggage rack and a rear rack. But it’ll cost under £2000 – it has to on a machine like this.

“Next year, I’ll take our BMW G310GS to the APC rally in Australia and prove just how capable it can be…”"

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...raid-cb500x-adventure-uk-africa-twin-g-310-gs

:bow:bow Thanks for the link to that article!! I personally can't wait to see a 310 GS in that guise in person. I really hope that BMW will bring a GSA version out with a 5 Gallon gas tank. That would be the ultimate small ADV bike IMHO :lurk:lurk

:bow:bow Thanks for the link to that article!! I personally can't wait to see a 310 GS in that guise in person. I really hope that BMW will bring a GSA version out with a 5 Gallon gas tank. That would be the ultimate small ADV bike IMHO :lurk:lurk

Yeah a big gas tank option would be welcome out west for those who need it.

Back