• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad Announces New GS 1300 Engine

"The combination of air and liquid cooling is expected to remain"

I figured they would go full liquid cooled.

"The combination of air and liquid cooling is expected to remain"

I figured they would go full liquid cooled.

According to videos on line, they did… which is how they got the horsepower bump. But you know what they say about on-line videos…

Styling looks closer to the F900/S1000 XR I'd say. Can't say I'm a huge fan, kinda feels like they're trying to do the same thing with 2 engines as well as a smaller copy with the 900.

It looks good, will be available with some useful new features and probably goes fast too, but I’d like to hear about the long term aspects of actual ownership after the new wears off.

For example, has engineering extended the maintenance intervals at all? Is there finally a grease fitting for lubing driveshaft splines? Have better materials been used in construction of the alternator? Is this overall a better value than the previous model?

A shaft driven boxer is an excellent fundamental design, but good engineering will always take into consideration those lessons learned from previous designs. It’s why some brands are known to be more reliable and trouble free than others.

In photos, note the new valve covers - I think it's reasonable to hope for ShiftCam on both cams, which would follow BMW's evolution with VANOS in their cars. Being able to control the cam timing and intake tract length allows stupendous flexibility in terms of a power band, so I'd like to get a better understanding of how the intake and airbox work.

Also note that unlike the steel tubed trellis frames that have been part of GSs for decades, this uses what appears to be a cast member that looks more like a traditional twin spar perimeter style frame. It's not possible tell what the front section is made of since it's buried under the bodywork, but note that the rear subframe doesn't appear to retain the traditional Eiffel Tower look they've had. It also looks, at least in these photos, like it's a cast unit as well.

There's also an indication that there will be an M1300GS, so if that follows the M1000RR and R variants, we might see a BMW forged carbon frame on this since this type of frame casting can be made using FCF. That could yield a GS that's a good bit lighter and ready to take on the V4 Multistradas and big KTMs in its market space.

So far, we've just seen the GS. But I think it's reasonable to assume we will see an RT with a similar sort of revision to frame design, along with an RS and R as we have now.

I'm pretty excited to see what they've come up with. I've just purchased a 2019 GS (Cosmic Blue!), so I'm good on bikes right now. But I'm always interested in seeing what BMW has come up with.

In photos, note the new valve covers - I think it's reasonable to hope for ShiftCam on both cams, which would follow BMW's evolution with VANOS in their cars. Being able to control the cam timing and intake tract length allows stupendous flexibility in terms of a power band, so I'd like to get a better understanding of how the intake and airbox work.

Also note that unlike the steel tubed trellis frames that have been part of GSs for decades, this uses what appears to be a cast member that looks more like a traditional twin spar perimeter style frame. It's not possible tell what the front section is made of since it's buried under the bodywork, but note that the rear subframe doesn't appear to retain the traditional Eiffel Tower look they've had. It also looks, at least in these photos, like it's a cast unit as well.

There's also an indication that there will be an M1300GS, so if that follows the M1000RR and R variants, we might see a BMW forged carbon frame on this since this type of frame casting can be made using FCF. That could yield a GS that's a good bit lighter and ready to take on the V4 Multistradas and big KTMs in its market space.

So far, we've just seen the GS. But I think it's reasonable to assume we will see an RT with a similar sort of revision to frame design, along with an RS and R as we have now.

I'm pretty excited to see what they've come up with. I've just purchased a 2019 GS (Cosmic Blue!), so I'm good on bikes right now. But I'm always interested in seeing what BMW has come up with.

Hey Dave,

Don't you think they'll stick with steel for flexibility? Cast or carbon fiber would not be forgiving in off road conditions.

-jono

A lot of folks are caught up on details like curb weight but I think we’re conflating a few different products.

M1300GS
R1300GS
R1300GSA
HP2 GS (100th anniversary edition)

I think it’s the M-Model that is that lighter curb weight with the GS/GSA being around what the 1250 weighs.

HP2 do-over is a wishful thinking model but what we’ve seen in the AUS photos are probably the M-Model (narrower all around with the GS look).

Hey Dave,

Don't you think they'll stick with steel for flexibility? Cast or carbon fiber would not be forgiving in off road conditions.

-jono

I dunno. It looks a lot like the structures that they've used on the S1000, but it's not a traditional twin spar. It might be more like the R11S had, with a big steel cradle structure to locate the rear suspension and provide better rigidity. I think it's interesting that it appears to kind of come around the back of the power plant like the S, but it's hard to tell if they're still using the power plant as a stressed member with front and rear frames.

The rear subframe in non-steel or in a non-trellis structure? I dunno how that's gonna work out if it gets bent. It's hard to see if you can even get the subframe unbolted and replaced.

So I guess for the rear section, which is looks pretty stoutly attached and close to the engine/trans? Maybe some kind of extruded steel stuff like the S? But it's hard to tell in these photos, but the shapes look more complex that you could probably get with an extrusion.

The subframe seems like if it got bent, that'd be a pretty big problem to replace if you can't unbolt it.

Also: Good to see you, man. Been a long time.

I dunno. It looks a lot like the structures that they've used on the S1000, but it's not a traditional twin spar. It might be more like the R11S had, with a big steel cradle structure to locate the rear suspension and provide better rigidity. I think it's interesting that it appears to kind of come around the back of the power plant like the S, but it's hard to tell if they're still using the power plant as a stressed member with front and rear frames.

The rear subframe in non-steel or in a non-trellis structure? I dunno how that's gonna work out if it gets bent. It's hard to see if you can even get the subframe unbolted and replaced.

So I guess for the rear section, which is looks pretty stoutly attached and close to the engine/trans? Maybe some kind of extruded steel stuff like the S? But it's hard to tell in these photos, but the shapes look more complex that you could probably get with an extrusion.

The subframe seems like if it got bent, that'd be a pretty big problem to replace if you can't unbolt it.

Also: Good to see you, man. Been a long time.

Good to hear from you too! I'm living in Maine now - riding the back roads on my '22 RT. Miss the big city sometimes but can't beat small town life.

Cheers!

Good to hear from you too! I'm living in Maine now - riding the back roads on my '22 RT. Miss the big city sometimes but can't beat small town life.

Cheers!

I'm with ya. I'm retiring in April and we're currently working to move up to Sonoma County. Not exactly small town, but a bit more rural, a lot closer to even more amazing roads. My morning regular will probably be a hoon over Calistoga Road or Oakville Grade to St. Helena or Calistoga for coffee and then it's endless curves and no traffic beyond that.

Tina's a couple years behind me, but we're trying to sell this place and move north right now.

Back