• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank protectors

JerryAttrick

I have a new K1300GT, and new Kevlar jacket & pants set. With the Kevlar, I'm a little concerned about wearing through the paint on the sides of the tank. (I'm so old, I remember knee pads.)
Is there some aftermarket product to deal with this, or is it just an imaginary problem?

Aerostitch sells a "paint protector" that is just sheets of clear plastic that you can cut to shape and apply. I use that on the rear of my GS "tank". Only thing is that it uses a removable (electrostatic?) adhesive so I'm not sure how well it holds up under constant abrasion?

Talmadge

You can always take the tank off and put it in a nice soft cloth bag and put it on a shelf in the closet. :) Or you could duct tape bubble wrap to it.

Myself, I don't worry about such things. A few scratches, whatever. Bikes are a means of transportation. Bike was meant to ride, not put on a pedestal and admired.

My bikes all have lots of scratches, dirt and bugs stuck to them. I would rather spend lots of time riding than worrying about a few scratches. If others want to pose with them, well, that is their issue.

After five summers of riding, my kevlar jacket/pants have not scratched either of my tanks. Of course I'm so old with such bad eyesight that possibly I can't see those scratches.:brad:ca

I had black knee pads on my tank, but after a complete custom paint job, I used the clear sheet material from 3M, cut it to the shape I wanted. It has real adhesive; but it can be removed and the leftover goo comes off easily. Just get it warm to help when you remove it.

I bought it at the BMW shop.

I was riding behind a guy with that static cling stuff, when it blew off his tank.

Touratech sells a nice 3 piece black set for a reasonable price. I have them on my bike and they work well. Don't know how easy they would be to remove though.

Touratech sells a nice 3 piece black set for a reasonable price. I have them on my bike and they work well. Don't know how easy they would be to remove though.

They come off with a nice heat gun and patience...recently moved a set on an R1150

Back