• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stumped about no sale on my bike...

Have you considered barter?

I recently had a big Volvo sedan for sale that was also going nowhere. In addition to high gas prices, I was dealing, as are you, with a credit crunch for buyers of moderate means, bad credit scores, etc. One day our landscaper was looking at it and said he'd like to buy it, but he was was short of cash while his new house was being built. Then I had a FLASH of inspiration: I write big checks to this guy, and having credit with him was as good as cash in my pocket. The offer was made and accepted on the spot. I signed over the title for a sum as low as the book would allow, to his benefit for tax purposes, and then we both signed an agreement to barter his services at my car's high book value. Thus far, the deal is working well.

So... is your dealer up for barter? How about your attorney? Anyone to whom you might be writing big checks might be a possible swapper. Hope so.

I like the barter idea but the only person I'm writing checks to is my attorney. She is too practica and too married to consider it. Nice thought though. I do appreciate it.

It looks like the GSA is sold, although to some dude who claims money is no object and he'll send a cashier's check right away. Who knows.

Thanks again for all the interest, sentiments and jokes.

Gravity

I like the barter idea but the only person I'm writing checks to is my attorney. She is too practical and too married to consider it. Nice thought though. I do appreciate it.

I've found that attorneys who take barter don't always do so for their own uses, but often know how, when & where to move goods at a profit (e.g., sheriffs' auctions). Fact is, an attorney's hourly rate is always negiotiable.

I've found that attorneys who take barter don't always do so for their own uses, but often know how, when & where to move goods at a profit (e.g., sheriffs' auctions). Fact is, an attorney's hourly rate is always negiotiable.

Further sending them to the bottom of the popularity list. Take people's goods when they have no cash and sell them for a profit. Nice. Nothing like kicking someone when they are down. I despise them for the most part...well, totally despise them!

Gravity

Selling a K12GT

I had the same problem selling mine (it was a 2003 GT with 5K miles, lots of accessories). I kept dropping the price by $500 per week. Listed it on IBMWR, Craig's list, etc. Eventually sold it below wholesale - fortunately I'd bought it used, so I didn't take too great a beating - but this was a 2 year old bike, with warranty left and it sold for $10K. I just didn't like the bike and wanted it gone.

These bikes dropped dramatically in value once the new ones came out. Like a rock. Things sell at the right price. Only question is whether you are willing to sell at the price that others are willing to pay. If it has been sitting for 4 months, it is obviously not priced right.

I had the same problem selling mine (it was a 2003 GT with 5K miles, lots of accessories). I kept dropping the price by $500 per week. Listed it on IBMWR, Craig's list, etc. Eventually sold it below wholesale - fortunately I'd bought it used, so I didn't take too great a beating - but this was a 2 year old bike, with warranty left and it sold for $10K. I just didn't like the bike and wanted it gone.

These bikes dropped dramatically in value once the new ones came out. Like a rock. Things sell at the right price. Only question is whether you are willing to sell at the price that others are willing to pay. If it has been sitting for 4 months, it is obviously not priced right.

I hear ya! However, I'm below wholesale!!

It's defarkeled but I tried to sell it even when it was fully farkled. It's still under warranty too.

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Gravity

Back