• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stop Sale on all NEW BMW Motorcycles

I suspect that somebody discovered that it is very easy to remove charcoal canisters from BMW motorcycles and they are studying how to prevent the practice.

Worst case, BMW got caught doing something similar to what VW did 4-5 years ago. Perhaps they found a way to meet emissions standards that was not on the up and up.

From a site that champions electric vehicles-

BMW of North America is dedicated to providing vehicles to our customers that meet their expectations. To ensure that our vehicles are of the highest industry standards, BMW performs ongoing testing and evaluation.
Following a recent quality analysis, BMW is pursuing measures to further evaluate the material used in a component of its motorcycle evaporative system, which may not have been produced to material specifications.
As a result, BMW of North America is issuing a temporary, voluntary stop sale for all new and pre-owned BMW motorcycle models in dealer inventory, except for the CE 04.
This temporary stop sale is not safety related and BMW owners may continue to ride their motorcycles as normal.

https://electrek.co/2023/09/21/bmw-... has issued a,sale from the company's dealers.

Looks like the information on what is going on is starting to break.

I wonder if this means that vehicles brought in for service will receive an automatic “upgrade”?
OM

I wonder if this means that vehicles brought in for service will receive an automatic “upgrade”?
OM

Well, I just (I mean JUST - as in five days ago) had mine to the dealership for service. There was no mention of any impending issue. Unless it is a safety-related problem - and it does not appear to be - my bike will be waiting until its next service, likely sometime mid-2024 (ish).

IIRC, BMW wasn’t this reactive just a few years ago when they were told wethead telelevers were coming apart while the bikes were being ridden. That eventually got fixed but it took a while.
Someone in the EPA must have laid some seriously heavy stuff on BMW to get their attention like this. It would be interesting to hear the back story details.

I suspect that somebody discovered that it is very easy to remove charcoal canisters from BMW motorcycles and they are studying how to prevent the practice.

I knew that some day that cannister would be worth something.

For Sale:
Original cannister, hoses, bracket. 2004 RT
$500 OBO

Call now, this will go fast!

For Sale:
$500 OBO

Some helpful modifications…..

For Sale:
Original canister, hoses, bracket. 2004 RT. Pristine condition. This is a rare survivor and highly sought after piece of BMW Motorrad engineering history. Don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity. Only used on one short ride to home from the dealership.
$1,500 Absolutely, positively firm.

For Sale:
$500 OBO

... My "someday" has also dawned this week!

For Sale:
Original canister, hoses, bracket. 2004 R1150R
$1,750 OBO

Call now, this is rare & precious equipment. This will go quicker than fast!

... includes "like new" Kermitt Chair for install comfort.

I wonder if BMW will be posting “Want to Buy” listing for manuals for the older bikes? :deal

OM

Used examples, if cannisters are indeed the root of the issue, won’t be that desirable as they still have the problem. But a good entrepreneurial opportunity may arise in rebuilding cannisters with material that won’t clump up and become a solid when exposed to liquid fuel.

BMW Cannisters R Us
Let us rebuild your BMW Motorrad evap cannister and get your bike EPA-legal and eligible to once again be registered! Fast turnaround and guaranteed, certified results, and reman exchange units available for most models.
Only $299 plus shipping, send us your old cannister now!

;)

Best,
DeVern

I stopped by my local BMW dealership today (Motorcycles of Greensboro) and talked with the store manager. All they know is that on Tuesday BMW told them not to sell any new or pre-owned (we used to call these "used") motorcycles, save the electric scooter. This suggest something that affects the internal combustion engine.

The manager did not think that BMW would get this sorted by the time the 100 year celebration occurs in concert with the Barber Vintage Festival in early Oct. I'll bet the BMW folks tasked with attending this celebration are looking forward to that event.

If t-shirts are sold with 100 years on them, I can mark out the "100" and replace it with "99 and 50/52".

I went to buy an R18B today and the dealer told me they couldn't sell me the bike because BMW put a nationwide stop sale on all bikes.

I bet that really hurts them, those things aren't exactly selling very well. My local dealer laughs when you ask him how the sales on the big cruiser are going.

The cast and writers of Apollo 13, along with any living crew members have been contacted to see what they can come up with.

“All is not lost”.

:D

OM

There has to be a way for BMW to fix its obviously flawed quality control operation.

My best friend is a Yamaha fan, and he keeps asking me why the BMW with its poor quality when there's a great Yamaha dealership less than 2 miles away from me.

I'm embarrassed for BMW, even if BMW is not.

Sad.....

E.

Back