• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stop Sale on all NEW BMW Motorcycles

I probably will believe it when I see it on a dealership website. In the department of “Bad News Travels Fast, something like this hits the internet pretty quickly. The only thing I can find is the ADV thread-

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/stop-sale-on-all-new-bmw-motorcycles.1673987/

The picture with the announcement is from Hermy’s FB page.

OM

And the ADV thread has many reports of potential sales that did not go through because of a stop sale. Must be a conspiracy.

Yeah..it's real

Seen it on FB and a couple other spots and now a big thread I started on ADVRider where a BMW shop manager has confirmed it but cannot share specifics yet.

I've spoken with owner of a local BMW shop and the stop sale is legit and is for BOTH new AND used BMW's...all models. The stop sale doesn't say how far back but since it applies to new and used across the product spectrum of ICE models the speculation it is likely emission related.

It also appears the stop sale notice conference call from earlier today was to assure dealers that the action DID NOT include a stop ride notice.

When dealers asked when they would get more information the response was, reportedly, 'soon'

I probably will believe it when I see it on a dealership website. In the department of “Bad News Travels Fast, something like this hits the internet pretty quickly. The only thing I can find is the ADV thread-

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/stop-sale-on-all-new-bmw-motorcycles.1673987/

The picture with the announcement is from Hermy’s FB page.

OM

While I generally steer clear of social media, I have found that a company's facebook page (assuming they have one) is more likely to get updated sooner with "breaking news"-type items than their website. Additionally, for many companies that don't have online sales, their only web presence is a facebook page.

And now for a little social media humor...

What I find interesting is BMW telling (not recommending) dealers not to sell but not telling them WHY. And used bikes are included? Can they even do that legally without justification? Given that many dealers are paying daily interest (flooring) on in stock vehicles, not selling is costing them money every day.

Also, something like this probably did not just pop up over the weekend, it’s likely been brewing a while, so the details are out there somewhere. Why doesn’t BMW just tell it like it is? Is marketing working overtime to put a proper spin on the issue?

What I find interesting is BMW telling (not recommending) dealers not to sell but not telling them WHY. And used bikes are included? Can they even do that legally without justification? Given that many dealers are paying daily interest (flooring) on in stock vehicles, not selling is costing them money every day.

Seems like it is just coming on 24 hours. Probably costing the dealers more in bad publicity.

Also, something like this probably did not just pop up over the weekend, it’s likely been brewing a while, so the details are out there somewhere. Why doesn’t BMW just tell it like it is? Is marketing working overtime to put a proper spin on the issue?

Big business seems to like to delay information on problems.

It will be real interesting to see what is real and what isn’t. I can’t imagine MAX telling a customer looking for a Heritage model that they can’t sell it. :scratch

As Anton suggested, “BMW dealers can’t sell a used bike but everyone else can”?

OM

I am curious like everyone else about what the exact details and reasons for this are. I do also find it hard to imagine that BMW head office could impose a sales ban on a used motorcycle. New product would have to conform to whatever regulations are in place for the sales jurisdiction, and the manufacturer would be liable for selling something that does not meet standards. They would likewise be responsible for repairing the used product to ensure it was compliant, but would they actually have any power over the owner of that vehicle to prevent a sale even if the owner is a dealership? they may have some leverage against the dealership to stop used sales, but at minimum they would have to define the range of affected models and years. Otherwise that would be a pretty broad range of inventory to tie up without justification.

I am curious like everyone else about what the exact details and reasons for this are. I do also find it hard to imagine that BMW head office could impose a sales ban on a used motorcycle. New product would have to conform to whatever regulations are in place for the sales jurisdiction, and the manufacturer would be liable for selling something that does not meet standards. They would likewise be responsible for repairing the used product to ensure it was compliant, but would they actually have any power over the owner of that vehicle to prevent a sale even if the owner is a dealership? they may have some leverage against the dealership to stop used sales, but at minimum they would have to define the range of affected models and years. Otherwise that would be a pretty broad range of inventory to tie up without justification.

Doesn't matter if it's a new or used motorcycle, if it's a safety or emissions issue, both are covered under strict government laws and agreements, so it'd be in BMW's best interest to order dealers not to sell them knowing that there's an issue, especially if it's something they could be investigated or fined over. (VW's Dieselgate).

My gut feeling is BMW knows the issue, but as of now might not know how far and wide and what manufacturing dates are involved, so that's why it's a stop on everything for now and a lack of info being released until they figure it out.

Just found out when I went to a dealer today. Lucky took delivery last month, but still sad for solo bmw dealers let alone all bmw dealers.
Was told it is a canister issue but they didn't know details yet. I asked if only new or both new and used. The dealer said 'right now it’s literally everything ever made with an internal combustion engine and two wheels' can't be sold until told more.'

Just found out when I went to a dealer today. Lucky took delivery last month, but still sad for solo bmw dealers let alone all bmw dealers.
Was told it is a canister issue but they didn't know details yet. I asked if only new or both new and used. The dealer said 'right now it’s literally everything ever made with an internal combustion engine and two wheels' can't be sold until told more.'

Thanks for the fresh information. :thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Gary

I suspect that somebody discovered that it is very easy to remove charcoal canisters from BMW motorcycles and they are studying how to prevent the practice.

Maybe. The (any) carbon canisters work fine if not saturated. Squeezing the last possible drop of gas into the tank on some bikes can lead to overfill and saturation. On my F800GS, filling usually involves visually checking the level- 3 times.
Waiting for the pump to click-off leads to spillage into the catch ring.

OM

I suspect that somebody discovered that it is very easy to remove charcoal canisters from BMW motorcycles and they are studying how to prevent the practice.

If that’s the case then all the other mfgrs are going to come under the microscope as well. It can’t be that much easier to do a cannisterectomy on a BMW than on any other marque, can it?

There are other components in that system that could come under scrutiny as well, like the in-tank “biscuit” fuel/air separator or the vacuum valve that purges the cannister. Not sure how other marques handle those functions.

Best,
DeVern

Back