• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stop and Go tire plugger

Brownie - Not dumb at all, quite valid. No, if you have tubeless tires (mag wheels or spokes "outside" of the bead), the wheel can stay on the bike to do the repair.

btw... I've used the BMW kit, the Stop'N'Go kit, and sticky rope, each more than once - and each will either work very well or fail depending on the puncture and how well the repair is done. One of the tricks to the SNG - besides practicing with it first - is knowing just how hard to pull on the stem of the mushroom, so it seats on the inside.

.<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vCVNRtmxHEs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video from Stop n Go.

Anyone use this method successfully? That gun would seem to take up valuable space...
The gun is flat and does not take up space. I've used the gun kit on two flats on my RT and the longest part of the repair was inflating the tire with the Slime pump. Never practiced with mine, just read the instructions and did the repair on the side of the road (I-35).

Brownie - Not dumb at all, quite valid. No, if you have tubeless tires (mag wheels or spokes "outside" of the bead), the wheel can stay on the bike to do the repair.

btw... I've used the BMW kit, the Stop'N'Go kit, and sticky rope, each more than once - and each will either work very well or fail depending on the puncture and how well the repair is done. One of the tricks to the SNG - besides practicing with it first - is knowing just how hard to pull on the stem of the mushroom, so it seats on the inside.

Thanks, I think I'm okay with the ropes plug kit and compressor set up I have.

Quick question if anyone knows. Is there a converter that turns my compressors straight screw on hose [ which is difficult to get locked on the rear ] to an angled screw on which would be MUCH easier to use to reinflate?

Brownie, rather than getting angled valve stems etc., for each of my bikes and still having to fiddle with some difficult gas station air-chucks etc., I carry a $5 screw-on extension tube see here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?91719-Member-Question-and-Assistance&p=1125936&viewfull=1#post1125936

As was mentioned, the repair can be done on the bike, however, I would caution you and all others to secure your centerstand prior to starting the repair. It isn't typical but bikes have come off their centerstands in the past while being worked on, especially if there is pushing and pulling involved as with plugging a tubeless tire. I always carry a few BMW shipping tie-down straps with me. They take up virtually no space and are handy for many things (another $5 item worth it's weight in gold).

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/bmw-motorcycles-factory-lashing-tiedown-straps-straps-used-bmw-r1150gs-strapon-p-645

LASHINGSTRAPSoem.JPG

Thanks Alan,

I'll grab one of those hose pdq. And the straps idea is a "why didn't I think of that" moment. :thumb

I just grabbed one of those hose extensions you linked to. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Last year I had a bad experience with a SNG plug. I was on a trip in Wyoming and picked up a nail. Put in the mushroom plug using the proper tools. Never really sealed and I had to stop to top up air every hour. Leak kept getting worse and I finally found a NAPA store and got a standard rope kit which worked like a charm. I was able to easily push the SNG plug into the tire with no effort at all. I guess it's important to add that the temps were in the high 90's and I was on the Interstate (although I was driving cautiously) Also the SNG pump crapped out on me during this issue. Took the kit out of the bag and got a Nealy kit.

I guarantee you the effort to push the plug through the nozzle requires more effort than shown in the video. It took one person with a pair of pliers holding the tool and the other cranking on the allen wrench to get it to go in.

Correct ... and that means be sure to carry a pair of pliers in addition to the kit.

Thanks LK,
Do you know if it just fits a gauge or can be screwed onto my compressor? They don't really make it that clear on the link, showing it on a gauge.

I bookmarked as always, thanks

It has 1/4" female pipe threads. You can screw it on to a gauge, a hose that has a threaded end, or put a male quick disconnect on it (look at last photo of it). Nice tool.:thumb

$31.49 on Ebay.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
It has 1/4" female pipe threads. You can screw it on to a gauge, a hose that has a threaded end, or put a male quick disconnect on it (look at last photo of it). Nice tool.:thumb

$31.49 on Ebay.

:dance:dance:dance

I don't think that's going to work for me, my compressor has a female that screws onto the tire stem.

But thanks.,

I don't think that's going to work for me, my compressor has a female that screws onto the tire stem.

But thanks.,

Does the hose coming off your compressor have a coupler on its end (as pictured)?

I’m having trouble understanding how you can have a compressor that can not accommodate this tool.

Attachments

• 29BD0082-5A23-469F-8C9C-2FEEC983D55D.jpeg
    29BD0082-5A23-469F-8C9C-2FEEC983D55D.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 284
Does the hose coming off your compressor have a coupler on its end (as pictured)?

I’m having trouble understanding how you can have a compressor that can not accommodate this tool.

Really? I'm sure it may accommodate that tool, but that means two more parts I have to add where that extension hose the other member recommended [ and I ordered ] will do as one more part. And that hose I ordered was 5.00, 10.00 with shipping. :thumb

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Mini-Air-Compressor/dp/B0033B7VPK

Stop and Go update

Now that there is a new Dunlop sitting in the garage, figured it is time to do a little experimenting. Pushed the sticky rope plug into tire. Spooky how easy that was to do. Disassembled the stop and go tool and found the original plug was ground up inside the tool. After cleaning, I inserted a new plug and screwed the new plug into the tool until the mushroom head poked out and expanded. Then marked the allen wrench at that point. Loaded the tool up. Figured a little slobber on the plug couldn't hurt and installed it according to instructions. Have to say it went in without too much pressure. When the tool felt like it bottomed out, just at the mark I made on the allen wrench I unscrewed the plunger, removed the tool, aired up to 42 lb and it shows no bubbling around the plug. Will ride for a couple of weeks before I put the new tire on.

Practice makes perfect!

MotoPressor Mini Pump

Well, this moring I was on my way home from an overnight at Summer Lake, Oregon. About 9 miles outside of Paisley, Oregon the red flashing symbol shows up on my 2016 RT, and my rear tire is slowly losing pressure. I pulled over onto a gravel driveway of a distant ranch and got the bike up on the center stand. Sure enuf, a piece of some kind of sharpened road metal was in the middle of the rear tire. About that time, a pickup truck comes out from the ranch, and the rancher assesses the situation and we drive back to his shop where he gets a threaded repair cord type of kit. We get the metal out, the plug in, and I use the MotoPressor Mini Pump to get back up to 42 lbs. The repair held for a 200 mile return trip home! Needless to say, big fan of this pump, and now I won’t be riding without several type of patch kits. Awesome to find friendly ranch folks willing to help out a rider!!

Last edited:
Back