• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So our daughter wants to ride a motorcycle....

I am thrilled for you, your wife and daughter!!! What a great story, and here's hoping there are a million more happy miles for you all!! Thanks for updating us.

I am thrilled for you, your wife and daughter!!! What a great story, and here's hoping there are a million more happy miles for you all!! Thanks for updating us.

I have a soon to be 11yr old and imagined myself going through this experience in about 8yrs.

Why wait? imo, the best way to assure success on the street is to start young on the dirt with a small, lightweight bike.

There is good training available and I feel it is essential to understand how a motorcycle will handle in situations with less than 100% traction.

And you never know where the dirt thing will go... here's my son on his dad's HP2e :ha

IMG_1367-X2.jpg

I agree, in concept, because that was how I learned. Also, starting at the age of 11.

However, few families actually live in rural areas and finding a place to ride off-road is a true challenge. I'm speaking as both a long term rider and a rural land owner whose experienced property damage from riders.

www.riderplanet-usa.com/

All that's needed is a small trailer or pickup truck and a parent who takes the time. :nod

I think the point was that motorized vehicles are often not allowed off-road, i.e., the "true challenge" mentioned.
Takes more than equipment, meaning the actual allowed place to ride. FWIW, I agree with not allowing the environment to be "destroyed by wheels" & I'm not a "tree hugger" either...

Takes more than equipment, meaning the actual allowed place to ride.

Bingo.

For many reasons, and very few of them in the East and, likely, the Mid-west have anything to do with tree-huggers. Small towns and villages have lost population. Accordingly, you probably aren't riding on the property of someone you know.

Decades ago, when I was a young teenager (too young to drive), I could ride a long ways on lands owned by my family, relatives or family friends. Then there were abandoned railroad tracks and old dirt roads to hunting camps. Of course, you had to be mindful of the landowners wishes. In many cases, your access was due to family friendships that went back several generations. Today, those connections have been lost as the towns/villages have died. Crime and vandalism has a lot to do with it, but a lack of young working age families pretty much kills the concept of community within an area.

Why wait? imo, the best way to assure success on the street is to start young on the dirt with a small, lightweight bike.

There is good training available and I feel it is essential to understand how a motorcycle will handle in situations with less than 100% traction.

And you never know where the dirt thing will go... here's my son on his dad's HP2e :ha

That's a good point Visian. First I need her to show a little interest before I go and drop that kind of coin. Hmmmm Although......it does give me an excuse to try and sell the wife for going out and buying the family some dirt bikes. *devilish grin* :evil LOL

For those thinking of having their kids get their feet wet in the dirt, bravo. The skills I've picked up off road have saved my hide more than once on the street. From the standpoint of the cash outlay and finding places to ride, MSF / Honda offers an off road course with all equipment provided. I'm not sure where the classes are located so it might require a weekend vacation to pull it off, but it may also open up a door that is hard to find otherwise.

If you have a halfway decent sized back yard, trials is a great way to build skills without needing much space or making much noise. There are even electric bikes which are quite capable like Oset. While we didn't go the trials route, we had an hour + drive to do any trail riding so I'd set up obstacles in the backyard for my son to work on with his 50 & 70 cc bikes. Tight turns between cones or tires, small logs to cross, braking drills, riding in the snow, etc. can all be done in limited space and build skills which will pay off on the trail or someday on the street.

Back